New smart Mway at M6 j13

See it’s open at last, I was on it this morning s.bound.
They’ve spent millions making it 4 lanes. Why did they bother ffs, the, crap drivers (including some truck ‘drivers’ :unamused: ) turned it back into a 3 laner again by refusing to use lane 1.
By the time we approached the M6 toll, before it turns into 2x2 lanes, lane 4 was the slow lane and lane 1 was a ‘fast lane’ …pricks of the highest degree :unamused: .

North bound is four lanes (open) now but still has the 50mph speed limit and average speed camera’s.

I don’t to be honest , there’s always someone dawdling along in first lane so run in 2 ,they’ve got 3/4 to overtake so can’t see much of a problem to be honest

I think there was a thread not too long ago about the use of the hard shoulder on smart sections. Personally, I believe the ’ keep left unless overtaking ’ rule from the highway code effectively instructs you to do so. However, when you look at the actual wording of the official gov guidelines, it simply states that when the lane is open, you CAN use it.

Whats a smart motorway ?
Is it for smart cars and driverless vehicles?
Ffs,sounds like a wider road to me

Deeireland:
Whats a smart motorway ?

A smart motorway is a section of motorway that during normal time is a 3 lane running stretch but if there is congestion the overhead signs render the “hard shoulder” open to traffic hence making it 4 lanes instead of 3 to ease the congestion.

Ah that is smart.
I thought maybe there would be free WiFi

Deeireland:
Ah that is smart.
I thought maybe there would be free WiFi

Not free wifi but they could put butty vans in the lay-bys they put at 1/2 mile intervals :smiley:

robroy:
They’ve spent millions making it 4 lanes. Why did they bother ffs, the, crap drivers (including some truck ‘drivers’ :unamused: ) turned it back into a 3 laner again by refusing to use lane 1.
By the time we approached the M6 toll, before it turns into 2x2 lanes, lane 4 was the slow lane and lane 1 was a ‘fast lane’ …pricks of the highest degree :unamused: .

Just stick to lane 1 robroy, it’s like having your own private lane sometimes :sunglasses:

Dare I say it, the new scheme from J13-8 actually seems to work now all the M5 sliproad roadworks are gone. Not had a problem going through Birmingham for a while now.

xichrisxi:

Deeireland:
Whats a smart motorway ?

A smart motorway is a section of motorway that during normal time is a 3 lane running stretch but if there is congestion the overhead signs render the “hard shoulder” open to traffic hence making it 4 lanes instead of 3 to ease the congestion.

You know what Chris, …you are right I am wrong, it’s more of a permanent 4 lane the stretch I’m on about, rather than a ‘smart’ stretch :blush: :smiley:
Still doesn’t alter the fact that numpties, car AND truck were reluctant to use lane 1 for some reason which was my whole point.

robroy:

xichrisxi:

Deeireland:
Whats a smart motorway ?

You know what Chris, …you are right I am wrong, it’s more of a permanent 4 lane the stretch I’m on about, rather than a ‘smart’ stretch :blush: :smiley:
Still doesn’t alter the fact that numpties, car AND truck were reluctant to use lane 1 for some reason which was my whole point.

Tbh I’ve not been down since they have finished it went the scenic route to Birmingham yesterday,it’s always been the same though like northbound after jct 9 even when the signs say use hard shoulder barely anybody does which cause a problem in itself because I’m doing 56mph on the “hard shoulder” and you approach someone doing 52 in lane one knowing really you shouldn’t pass them on the inside so you have to make 2 lane changes to go round them,it’s like they are scared to use the hard shoulder,maybe they could go on a medication for it! :smiley:

smart motorways - a new way to place cameras and set speed limits that can create income to pay for the initial expense. jesus the amount of times you get a 40mph and there is nothing for miles.

war1974:
smart motorways - a new way to place cameras and set speed limits that can create income to pay for the initial expense. jesus the amount of times you get a 40mph and there is nothing for miles.

And there is someone who doesn’t understand about traffic flows and the act of trying to smooth them out along the line to keep traffic flowing and stop the stop start concertinering in the good old days of the ‘phantom’ queue because it’s usually guaranteed some Cocksocket (usually in a truck) will run straight into the back of the queue causing carnage and mayhem but heyho :neutral_face:

and its amazing how at 3am they have a 40mph speed limit in force nothing around for miles but hey ho!

maybe If they were used by smart people they would have more effect!

war1974:
maybe If they were used by smart people they would have more effect!

But road users aren’t always ‘smart’ :smiling_imp:
Google ‘midas highways england’ and have a read how and why it works.

xichrisxi:

robroy:

xichrisxi:

Deeireland:
Whats a smart motorway ?

Tbh I’ve not been down since they have finished it went the scenic route to Birmingham yesterday,it’s always been the same though like northbound after jct 9 even when the signs say use hard shoulder barely anybody does which cause a problem in itself because I’m doing 56mph on the “hard shoulder” and you approach someone doing 52 in lane one knowing really you shouldn’t pass them on the inside so you have to make 2 lane changes to go round them,it’s like they are scared to use the hard shoulder,maybe they could go on a medication for it! :smiley:

Do it anyway? I always have. Played leapfrog with a guy in roadworks traffic once. I went off eventually, then later on he passed me on the A50! Much waving and grinning ensued.

But yeah ■■■■ them. ■■■■■■■■■ But I’m no role model. Look for a skelly trailer for advice on being king of the road.

The problem with using the hard shoulder, especially if you’re not familiar with a certain stretch is that passing a sign stating use hard shoulder! Then the next sign says hard shoulder for next junction :unamused:

Deeireland:
Whats a smart motorway ?

Re my post on printed circuit boards & driverless trucks…

robroy:

Yep, went down there yesterday and had to go into lane 3 to pass 3 supposedly ‘professional’ truckers running line astern, with lane 1 as clear as day. Absolute numpties!!

However, otherwise it was absolutely brilliant, in comparison to the bad old days. At 3.30/4.00pm sailed down to J4 without a hitch.

I think all new Smart Motorways will be All Lane Running motorways in the future. There will be no actual hard shoulder any more.

I’ve even read they’re converting some of the old types with a hard shoulder into permanent All Lane Running.