New smart Mway at M6 j13

Terry T:
I think all new Smart Motorways will be All Lane Running motorways in the future. There will be no actual hard shoulder any more.

I’ve even read they’re converting some of the old types with a hard shoulder into permanent All Lane Running.

its a good idea , there are still places to pull in if you get a red warning light or a puncture
only thing that bothers me is when they set a 50 limit with loads of signs saying congestion use hard shoulder
but other drivers drive at 45 not using the hard shoulder
and your thinking shall i , or sharnt i

When idea was proposed about 10yrs ago I thought it was a bit stupid and maybe dangerous.
However if it is used PROPERLY it does work, but if drivers continue to, on the whole, refuse to use lane one for whatever reason, thereby turning it back into a three lane mway, with the effect of making the outside lane the ‘slow lane’'and the inside lane the ‘‘fast lane’’ it’s a bit pointless. (Also you would think pro truck drivers would know better)
I see the advantage of flying down lane 1 passing all the numpties, (as I do :blush: ) but technically it aint correct and was not designed for that.
It is like most probs that have developed since cameras replaced Motorway patrols, it needs monitored and policed.

robroy:
I see the advantage of flying down lane 1 passing all the numpties, (as I do :blush: ) but technically it aint correct and was not designed for that.

Highway code says it is correct. Something like, if the lane you’re travelling in is moving faster then carry on. Undertaking is lane swapping in and out.

Someone can word it better but that’s my take on it.

dri-diddly-iver:

robroy:

Highway code says it is correct. Something like, if the lane you’re travelling in is moving faster then carry on. Undertaking is lane swapping in and out.

If you see a copper or a womble it’s best to stay back, but if there’s nothing about then go for it.

Think the “faster lane” bit only applies in jams and slow moving traffic. But I don’t let that stop me :laughing:

" Keep left unless overtaking " . I really do not get why car driver’s cannot grasp it.

dri-diddly-iver:

robroy:

It is deemed ok when traffic is moving in queues.
I reckon lane 2 moving at 50 and lane one at 56 does not constitute a queue in legal terms, maybe lanes 3 and 4 moving at the same time at 20 to 30 due to ■■■■ poor lane discipline does…, but hey, wtf do I know. :smiley:

eagerbeaver:
" Keep left unless overtaking " . I really do not get why car driver’s cannot grasp it.

Because they assume that the inside lane is for trucks and therefore the slow lane, :smiley: :laughing: the others are for cars :unamused: When the reality is they are just thick muppets who folow each other like sheep or lemmings