New Scam?

I was in the middle of a 45min break at Stafford North on Sunday afternoon when a car pulled in around the front of me and parked next to me like the FBI do (in the films) and gestured to me to wind my window down

Now I can’t type in an “oirish” accent, and this guy IMHO did his best to speak with one along the following lines

I’m low on fuel

My credit card has been declined beacause it is Irish and I need to get 20 miles up to the next services (Keele) where I can try again to fill up

I interrupt and say I’ve got no money on me

No, No let me take some fuel out of your tank and I’ll give you some cigarettes

That was the gist of the conversation, it was very polished and the delivery was slick

I declined the opportunity and after a couple of minutes thought, phoned the “old bill”

112 is good but 02 reception is naff sometimes and it took 20mins and three calls to get through

Irish in a “59” plate Audi!
Low on fuel but driving around a car park!
Credit Card declined - did you give the full tank back then!

I hope he hasn’t caught out some drivers and siphoned off half a tank before they realise they’ve been had

Hope they catch this ?*#>% or does anyone think I was too hard and I should have helped a fellow “traveller”

I can’t believe people would actually say yeah sure take some mate.

At least he asked & tried to make a deal, otherwise he could have taken the fuel without your knowledge (as they usually do)…

I say the same thing to them.
Is that a diesel car?
Yes it is why.?
Well guvnor,i ran out of fuel and need some of yours.
I have been stuck here a week waiting for help.
See the look on their faces is priceless.

That’s older than the Egyptians fella…

He can’t be that good at it … only a 59 plate :wink:

Far from new - happened to me years ago when sitting in a layby in Herts.

Virtually the same story - and the same response - NO!

They usually have a pump. But it’s very slow…

That one’s at least 20 years old, but with every new LGV driver comes a new opportunity i suppose
The pump is usually the fastest one money can buy, they can do 10 gallons while telling you about the football score !

So the Irish fella has been caught short and his credit card unexpectedly been declined because it is Irish but he just happens to have all the gear to syphon of a tank full of diesel in his boot
would anyone really fall for that

Its a modified version of can I beg a bit of derv to wash my tools :laughing:

Or can you put me a bit of squirt in on your fuel card and I will give you a cheque

New?

funny how the only thing they have in the boot is a pump ,
had the same thing at Gordano Services on the M5 a few years ago, i was parked at the back of the services in the car park where the picnic area is and a s class merc pulls in front of me and a blonde woman dressed in a mini skirt low cut top gets out giving it, my card has been declined and I’ve only got £10 is their any chance of some diesel,
I gave her some advice and told her she would get 2gallons of diesel at Tesco’s for £10, she muttered some crap about leaving a woman stranded with no fuel then got in the car and drove off.

Used to experience this a lot, just tell em the tanks got an anti syphon device fitted an theres a camera aimed at the fuel tank to record access.

Saves time arguing and more polite than an f-off.

Edit: Or as they are usually ‘oirish’ tell em your trucks a hybrid and the fuel tanks full of electricity which won’t work in their car.

I can go back to 1999 when I experienced this one lol … I was on my class 2 lessons and me and my instructor had stopped for a break somewhere between beckingham and bawtry and guy in a Vauxhall combo (if memory servs) pulled up, claimed to be running out of diesel and asked if he could take some out of our truck - best of it was my instructor let him!! out came the pump, which looked more like an old set of bellow’s . happened to me a few years after setting up on my own, guy stopped next to me at buckingway business park and asked if I wanted to make some money and sell him some diesel lol … I told him it was my own truck and pointed him in the direction of Cambridge services(which are on the opposite side of the A14) . even if it hadn’t have been my truck I still wouldn’t have sold him any :unamused: don’t know if anyone else took him up on the offer, it was at the time when buckingway was just becoming popular so there was a few others to ask.

I always used to say “I’d like to help but my boss was on his way to do a trailer swap, so I better not.” On the principle that one good yarn deserve another one. :laughing:

Had it in Toddington Northbound 2 weeks ago. I just said no and closed the window.

Edit: Or as they are usually ‘oirish’ tell em your trucks a hybrid and the fuel tanks full of electricity which won’t work in their car.

I like that :smiley:

Hiya i was parked on the woolwich ferry park many years ago. usual thing will you sell me some diesel.
its my truck pal no chance… Fu…you I’ll come back when your asleep…
another time their was a chap who fell for the scam. this chap give the chap a tenner and kept the
driver talking. the chap who’d payed had a plastic 5 gallon can in his hand, meanwhile a transit pulled up
with a IBC plastic tank on the back and a pump that must have been of a gully sucker. the pump sucked
that hard its a wounder the diesel tank did’t colapse. the driver tried to pull out the pipe but the chap
pulled him away each time. they must have had 300 litres in 20 seconds. i was a way off looking and thinking
idiot why let them near…i wish i could get 300lts of diesel for a tenner.
John

The last one that I had approach me asked for a “drop” of fuel as the petrol station wouldn’t accept Euros and he was really desperate to get to the ferry. I offered to buy 100 Euros from him for £30. He told me that that wasn’t a very good deal, I told him on the contrary, it’s the only deal and you’re desperate i’m not.

I did sell them some once. Sold nearly a full tank for a tenner. Was working for a ■■■■■■ who paid when he felt like it and after running in my first Saturday which took 8hrs then informed me he didn’t pay Saturdays. So I was parked up in Leyland one night and an irishman turns up with a transit and asks if he can buy a couple of gallons. I knew what he was going to do so I told him to leave me enough fuel to get to the petrol station in the morning. It was quite impressive how quickly they emptied the tank.

Took great pleasure ringing the boss in the morning to tell him I’d had diesel nicked. :smiling_imp: