New Rules

Today in work;
“bye then see you all on Monday”
“see ya Mike”
“by the way, i never seen any noitices up or info leaflets sent to us but you do know that of the 1st of Jan we have to keep our tachos for 28 working days?”
“who said that?”
" thats what it is"
“how do you mean?”
" i mean from the 1st of January in a few days that all drivers have to retain tachoi charts for 28 working days plus the current day"
“no, you got any thing in writing?”
“err.no. Its been in all the media and press and stuff and thats what it is”
Translation…i am a geek and i read it all for the last year or so , so i just know !!

kerffuffle and stuff…
“its to keep in line with the digitach and the way that holds 28 days records”
“thats what the 15 days where for”
“oh! right, ok, see ya all on Monday”

Get ya printers at the ready boys and get ready to show the boss. If i find the direct link to say exactly that in a short sentance then i’ll post it up. If you find it before me then post it up too. I know the latest HGV drivers leaflet says it but its in the middle (and barely a mention) of a long drawn out document. All replies gratefully recieved.

3.12 The new requirements described in paragraph 3.11 above came into force from 1st May 2006, but from 1st January 2008, the time period will be extended to include the current day and the previous 28 days(11) (in other words, the driver will have to have about him 29 days’ worth of records, in one form or another).

Taken from http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/consultachogrhs/multitachogrphs?page=3#a1007

Hi Mike C, The quote below is taken from the law itself.
It’s not from any form of handbook. I’ve edited unneccesary length and jargon from it, but not altered the wording.
I hope it’s short enough. :wink: :laughing:

REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006 Article 26

Regulation (EEC) No 3821/85 is hereby amended as follows:

[EDIT]

‘7. (a) Where the driver drives a vehicle fitted with recording equipment [EDIT] the driver must be able to produce, whenever an inspecting officer so requests:

(i) the record sheets for the current week and those used by the driver in the previous 15 days;

(ii) the driver card if he holds one, and

(iii) any manual record and printout made during the current week and the previous 15 days as required under this Regulation and Regulation (EC) No 561/2006.

However, after 1 January 2008, the time periods referred to under (i) and (iii) shall cover the current day and the previous 28 days.

(b) Where the driver drives a vehicle fitted with recording equipment [EDIT] the driver must be able to produce, whenever an inspecting officer so requests:

(i) the driver card of which he is holder;

(ii) any manual record and printout made during the current week and the previous 15 days as required under this Regulation and Regulation (EC) No 561/2006, and

(iii) the record sheets corresponding to the same period as the one referred to in the previous subparagraph during which he drove a vehicle fitted with recording equipment in conformity with Annex I.

However, after 1 January 2008, the time periods referred to under (ii) shall cover the current day and the previous 28 days.

It’s as long as it is, because it mentioned the “(i) and (iii)” and later on, it also mentioned the “(ii)”, so somebody was bound to ask if I’d only put the blue bits :wink:
There needs to be both bits to cover the two types of tachographs.
I hope it’s what you’re after :smiley:
:sunglasses: I’ve made no attempt at interpreting :sunglasses:

DHL in Redditch have asked there drivers to keep 28 days worth of there digicard print outs on them, but that is what the digicard is for, it holds the information, surely if they need to view it download the card info :question: :unamused:

You only (legally) need to carry digital tacho printouts if you’ve recorded information on them manually (e.g. to explain why you’ve gone over your hours because of traffic/accident/bad weather/etc.)

If it’s been a “normal” day, you don’t have to make a printout at all.

Some company’s have been making drivers aware of this for a while now, in fact I was surprised to receive an email from my agency about this last week.

BTW that’s 28 calender days before the debate about weather it’s working days or calender days starts again :wink:

Also to allow for the extra time that drivers will need to keep charts, VOSA are now giving drivers 42 days to hand in tachograph charts.

Also to allow for the extra time that drivers will need to keep charts, VOSA are now giving drivers 42 days to hand in tachograph charts

Not sure of the date that this comes into effect but it is not at the same time as the requirements to keep records for 28 days.
Apparently because one rule is EURO and the other is national.
There is a period where you will break one law or the other.
I will see if I can find the paperwork i have on this and post later.

try this

ROADTRANSPORT.COM

del949:

Also to allow for the extra time that drivers will need to keep charts, VOSA are now giving drivers 42 days to hand in tachograph charts

Not sure of the date that this comes into effect but it is not at the same time as the requirements to keep records for 28 days.
Apparently because one rule is EURO and the other is national.
There is a period where you will break one law or the other.
I will see if I can find the paperwork i have on this and post later.

My understanding of this is that the department of transport have agreed that drivers will have the 42 days to return charts until the domestic (UK) regulation is eventually changed, well that’s what we’ve been told anyway.

Have to say though that I’ve been unable to find any confirmation of this on the net.

tachograph:
My understanding of this is that the department of transport have agreed that drivers will have the 42 days to return charts until the domestic (UK) regulation is eventually changed, well that’s what we’ve been told anyway.

Have to say though that I’ve been unable to find any confirmation of this on the net.

In the latest published guide to the rules available form VOSA they state the 42 day period, you can’t get much more from the horses mouth than that.

CLICKY Page 30, 3rd point down.

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

In the latest published guide to the rules available form VOSA they state the 42 day period, you can’t get much more from the horses mouth than that.

CLICKY Page 30, 3rd point down.

Thanks

If you return to work say, 2nd Jan, you will need to carry any charts you have recorded during the previous 28 calender days with you.

If your co. has already allowed you to hand them in… oops.

ok thanks all, i got enought stuff to keep the printer going!!

first i heard about it not read any trade mags the last few months ( responsibility on the driver again) plod will have a field day . nah there having trouble keepin up with the rule changes :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:
try this

ROADTRANSPORT.COM

Far better using an official site like Vosa dont you think?. especially when it comes to legal stuff.

I got a letter from my boss mid December telling me of th change, I think you also have 42 days to hane your tachos in as well.

Whilst we are on the subject of rule changes coming in on Jan 1st 2008, there is one several of our drivers have been telling me about. Now I am one of those that says … “show me in bloody black and white and stop telling me what your mate down the pub told you.”
I am thinking that the drivers that told me this have spent too long at Veurne in the company of ■■■■■■ up Brits.
As some of you know 80% of my companies trucks are on Dutch plates.
Basically they are saying that from Jan 1st, the old cabotage rules come into effect again. UK motors cannot run out of the UK empty. Us Dutch registered motors can only do one delivery and then backload out etc etc. As I have not seen one word about it, I naturally have my doubts but would welcome any corrections.
Over to you, Mr Coffee :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

TheBear:
Whilst we are on the subject of rule changes coming in on Jan 1st 2008, there is one several of our drivers have been telling me about. Now I am one of those that says … “show me in bloody black and white and stop telling me what your mate down the pub told you.”
I am thinking that the drivers that told me this have spent too long at Veurne in the company of ■■■■■■ up Brits.
As some of you know 80% of my companies trucks are on Dutch plates.
Basically they are saying that from Jan 1st, the old cabotage rules come into effect again. UK motors cannot run out of the UK empty. Us Dutch registered motors can only do one delivery and then backload out etc etc. As I have not seen one word about it, I naturally have my doubts but would welcome any corrections.
Over to you, Mr Coffee :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

That’s two of us who have not seen one word about it Mr Bear.

A quick analysis of their claims show it up to be bovine droppings. Not allowing a UK registered vehicle to run out of the UK empty would go against all the EU stands for on free trade. There is nothing to stop a UK registered vehicle running out empty and picking up a load to return to the UK. I’m sure we have both done that more than once over the years?

jammymutt:

Denis F:
try this

ROADTRANSPORT.COM

Far better using an official site like Vosa dont you think?. especially when it comes to legal stuff.

I got a letter from my boss mid December telling me of th change, I think you also have 42 days to hane your tachos in as well.

Thats the problem though Jammy. There is a sticky on this forum about the new regs and a direct link to the updated rules, but the bit about the 1st of Jan is only a few short lines buried away in the middle?

I do believe there is to be some tightening of the cabotage rules, but they were never so tight as TheBear suggests. ASFAIK You could always work temporily in another country where your truck was not registered.
i.e. Loading and tipping wholly within that country.

What they are attempting to put a stop to is “flagging out” & foreign trucks working permanently (or near permanently) away from base country.

Driveroneuk:
I do believe there is to be some tightening of the cabotage rules, but they were never so tight as TheBear suggests. ASFAIK You could always work temporily in another country where your truck was not registered.
i.e. Loading and tipping wholly within that country.

But in the good days of old permits were required, now the normal community authorisation is all that is needed.

Driveroneuk:
What they are attempting to put a stop to is “flagging out” & foreign trucks working permanently (or near permanently) away from base country.

The current rules more than cover that situation. You cannot do unlimited cabotage under the current rules, the vehicle must leave the country at periodic intervals, I think it is once a month, and any cabotage must be done on an irregular and ad hoc basis with no contract in place. There is no tightening of the rules required unless it is tightening in the sense of strictly applying them.