new mercs

since the daf cf i was on, was in the workshop yesterday i had to take this out, now bear in mind the last mercedes i drove was a ragged 18 tonne axor from salford van hire around 2004 i wasnt expecting much.
what a truck though, more comfy than my car, very quiet, display superb, all controls easy to reach and superb visability, needless to say im a convert now!, we have two new scania g cab highlines as well as the cf’s on our shift and i think the merc trumps both marques, we have fm’s which although they have a great driveline they are let down by the cabs, so the jury is out until i see the new volvos :slight_smile:, what is your opinions of the mercedes, good and bad?

Must admit just from the outside it looks nice.

I had a little go in one around our yard a while back, it was a demonstrator. The differance between my heap and that was like night and day or black and white, i was fairly impressed. :sunglasses:

After recent experiences with current model (62 plate) Axors, I wouldn’t give Mercedes the time of day. Quite simply, they shouldn’t be allowed to sell such an unsafe vehicle!

The auto gearbox is sluggish in the extreme. The night heater needs a degree to operate. The no steering lift axle, along with a loaded tri-axle trailer simply helps push the vehicle straight on when trying to turn at most corners, and even more dangerously when wet or icy! (Imagine your two front steering tyres trying to overcome the physics of 12 other tyres all trying to continue in a straight line… unbelievable and more importantly, unforgivable!)

The drivers seat is like the night heater in that it is overcomplicated to operate - in comparison with current Volvos, Dafs and Scanias! The cab interior fixtures and fittings are of the most basic, plastic known to man. A true accountants truck!

But then again, I expect Mercedes have spent a fortune engineering the new Actros to ensure drivers are safe and comfortable… along with other road users, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath!

EastAnglianTrucker:
After recent experiences with current model (62 plate) Axors, I wouldn’t give Mercedes the time of day. Quite simply, they shouldn’t be allowed to sell such an unsafe vehicle!

The auto gearbox is sluggish in the extreme. The night heater needs a degree to operate. The no steering lift axle, along with a loaded tri-axle trailer simply helps push the vehicle straight on when trying to turn at most corners, and even more dangerously when wet or icy! (Imagine your two front steering tyres trying to overcome the physics of 12 other tyres all trying to continue in a straight line… unbelievable and more importantly, unforgivable!)

The drivers seat is like the night heater in that it is overcomplicated to operate - in comparison with current Volvos, Dafs and Scanias! The cab interior fixtures and fittings are of the most basic, plastic known to man. A true accountants

But then again, I expect Mercedes have spent a fortune engineering the new Actros to ensure drivers are safe and comfortable… along with other road users, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath!

But you drove a axor there two different trucks ones for shop work the other is for spending a week away in trying to compare the two is like driving a fiat panda and saying Bentleys are rubbish.

The new actros is a good motor but some people can be a badge snob or spec the truck Wrong for the job I have a 58 reg merc and she brill had a r420 befor on a 11 reg and so unconfable and two silly fuel tanks

EastAnglianTrucker:
The no steering lift axle, along with a loaded tri-axle trailer simply helps push the vehicle straight on when trying to turn at most corners, and even more dangerously when wet or icy! (Imagine your two front steering tyres trying to overcome the physics of 12 other tyres all trying to continue in a straight line… unbelievable and more importantly, unforgivable!)

Actros middle axles were the same, but if I was loaded and turning a corner, I used to press the lift axle dump button. It lifted the tyres clear off the ground eliminating that problem. Axle would drop again when you went above a certain speed. I’m sure the axor middle axle set up works the same way as the actros. A bit annoying having to press the button every time I agree, but it became second nature after a while and you do it without thinking.

I’m in an Axor at the minute and agree with EAT on everything…how do those night heaters work?? Are they linked with the heater temp controls? And yes, it was fun with the midlift down in the snow the other week :open_mouth: . The driving position is crap, the mirrors are crap, the speakers are crap and so are the headlights…and it was coupled to a crap trailer, which wasn’t going anywhere…not on my shift!!

Well the good news for all you non axor fans is its being done away with.
The actros will be the only “heavy” truck and what I have seen off it, it’s a great truck.
There is a new truck coming the Antos think it is only 18t-26t range

Fallmonk:
The actros will be the only “heavy” truck and what I have seen off it, it’s a great truck.

I’m sure I’ve read that it will be available in a tractor unit too with engine power up to 500bhp. So how long do you think it will take merc to stick a high roof on it and sell it as a replacement to the outgoing Axor.:frowning::(:frowning:

Nowt wrong with Mercs only Underpowered up hills, the Automatic gear box does’nt know what gear to go in, especially empty & its bloody scary when loaded and you turn and it wants to go straight on :open_mouth: especially in the wet :unamused: Cant fault the flat floor & living/storage space in them & its quieter than the Scania. I would rather have a Scania but beggars cant be choosers :laughing:

Fallmonk:

Sorry wrong see below

tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/curren … s-full.pdf

Unless you’re about 7ft tall, how are you supposed to clean the N/S corner blind spot mirror?

EastAnglianTrucker:

The drivers seat is like the night heater in that it is overcomplicated to operate - in comparison with current Volvos, Dafs and Scanias! The cab interior fixtures and fittings are of the most basic, plastic known to man. A true accountants truck!

I work on DAF and to be honest no truck is bad ,as a mechanic i can’t fault how easy DAF are to work over other makes,but DAF is what i am used to and what i enjoy working on ,so that is a plus point…But is there really a bad truck on the road ■■? Is it badge snobbery ,as i enjoy working on DAF ,drivers generally have their preferred maque to drive ,but does that make every other marque ■■■■?? I honestly don’t think there is a bad truck on thr road today ,yes you have the weekend made truck ,but you get that wether you by a tv or a pair of trainers…How many drivers would turn down the new merc if it was out 5 years ago ??forget the euro 6 part …Personally as a mechanic mercs to work on are a nightmare ,but im a DAF guy ,but that doesn’t make it a crap truck …But ask a merc mechanic and he may see DAFs as a nightmare …

ThrustMaster:
Unless you’re about 7ft tall, how are you supposed to clean the N/S corner blind spot mirror?

I used to struggle with this until one day with too much time on my hands I set about inventing stuff; after discounting both the underwater helicopter and space bicycle as impractical I turned my thoughts to cleaning blindspot mirrors. I’ve come up with what I consider to be a revolutionary breakthrough which I’m provisionally naming @brush and handle. Basically I’ve taken a soft brush head and (here’s the clever bit) I’ve mated it to a long stick thing (I’ve called that bit “a stick”). Amazingly this clears not only blindspot mirrors, but also all manner of other difficult to reach places.

I look forward to giving you all progress reports from my palatial Caribbean hideaway once my invention goes into production. :smiley: :smiley:

maoster…I knew I should have patented that idea as I used to do the same when they had one fitted to my old MP1…just thought it was normal practice to use the extendable handled brush when I was washing the motor off :smiley: :wink: . Before I came up with that idea, I just used to open the passenger door and (from inside) reach round…the extendable handled brushy thingy was a godsend!! Cleaning the outside of the sunroof was a bit trickier though…so I came up with the idea of ‘borrowing’ a beer bottle crate…amazeballs!! :laughing:

Interesting comments.shame Commercial Motor doesn’t take heed they seem to have always had a love affair with Mercedes but I suppose that is probably due to advertising.
I have had two Actros units could be the same pathetic German engineering continues all these years later,might just try and get a demonstrator some day could be fun but
relax the new Volvo will be along soon and Mercedes can crawl back in the gutter from whence it came.

Found a picture of my old beastie from when I first got my hands on it… :sunglasses:

Actrosman:
Found a picture of my old beastie from when I first got my hands on it… :sunglasses:

I think they look awesome them mercs!

it does look sweet :grimacing:

well built motors but underpowerd to say the least gearbox ■■■■■ couldnt pull me out of bed top spec 460 should pull ■■■■■ bed ■■■■■ seating postion not one good word to say about them i would swap it for a 420 scanny day cab,