New member.

Hi everyone,thought i would introduce myself.I’m neal and i live on the sunshine coast of eastbourne :smiley:

I have just started my training to get my cat c,just sent of my forms after forking out £100 for a medical at my doctors.Silly money.
I have been learning for my theory and hazard perception and as soon as i get my provisional licence i will book the tests.Been getting around 95% to 99% right,so think i’m ready.

I booked my course with the lgv training company,i know i will probably get ripped for that,but they have been good so far.
Just a quick question on driver cpc which confuses me alot,so bear with me.
Once i pass my theory and hazard perception,then my practical,do i still have to complete the driver cpc case studies and do the show me tell me and practical again to be able to drive?
Sorry if this has been asked before,but i am completly new to this.

Thanks in advance guys.Great forum you got here.
Cheers.

Neal

Welcome Neal!

Once i pass my theory and hazard perception,then my practical,do i still have to complete the driver cpc case studies and do the show me tell me and practical again to be able to drive?

As far as I understand it (and PLEASE someone correct me if I’m wrong for pity’s sake!) the answer to this depends on whether or not you got DCPC initial qualification through grandfather rights by having passed your car driving test on or prior to January 1997. If you did, then you were automatically granted your initial DCPC on September 9th 2009. With the (automatic) initial qualification, you would still need to complete the 35 hour periodic DCPC by September 2014, but don’t need to mods 2 and 4 for your cat C.

I’m booked in for my theory tests in May, but I booked both parts of Module 1 (theory and hazard perception) and the Module 2 CPC case studies for the same day. I don’t believe you need to have passed your practical test in order to sit the case studies test (at least, the DSA online booking system didn’t prevent me from booking all 3 at the same time :wink:).

As mentioned; I’m a newbie too, so please take everything mentioned above with a pinch of salt. Hopefully someone with a little more experience will be along soon to confirm or deny :smiley:

Best of luck with it all!

as long as you have already done the case studies test and the show me tell me test you don’t have to go through it again after you do your practical but you still have to sit a refresher every 4 or 5 years

Cheers for your help guys.
Will keep you all informed of how it goes,and hopefully have my licence soon :smiley:

Neal

Hate to say it, but if you’d gone to a proper driving school instead of a broker, you’d have the correct information at the end of the phone.

Saddens me when folk spend their hard earned with these people.

To answer your cpc question: if you passed your car test before 1997 you automatically have driver cpc until Sept 2014. This means you have to complete 5 days (35hrs) of periodic training before that date to keep the cpc up to date. The next cpc will then run to Sept 2019. Periodic training is offered by most reputable trainers.

If you passed after 1997, then you have to complete Module 2 which is a case studies theory test followed by Module 4 which is a short practical demonstration test. The Module 4 is offered by most reputable trainers. Please dont book through a broker.

You now have more information (and it’s correct) for free, from a reputable trainer who is earning nothing from you, than you ever got from the brokers who have taken your money.

However, welcome to the forum! And the best of luck with your training and test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cannot really say any more than Peter has said but I can put it in a different way …

Assuming that you passed car test after 1996 and have not taken and passed the LGV C1 DSA test before 10th Sept 2009 then a person would need to do …

D4 form medical - around £50 is easy to get for most
D2 form provisional - tick both C & D so medical covers all LGV & PCV entitlements even if not wanted at the moment
MODULES… 2 & 4 needed to drive LGVs commercially but not privately
1a theory
1b HPT
2 dcpc theory
3 practical road drive + reverse + un/couple(+E test only)
4 dcpc practical

The above modules needed for C or C1
C+E only needs module 3 if all the above has been complied with

==================================================

After completing all the required modules a DQC (driver cpc card) will be issued and that will have a 5 year expiry date on it
Before the expiry date the drive must complete 35 hours of periodic dcpc if they want to continue driving LGVs comercially after that DQC expiry date

Periodic dcpc hours cannot be counted until the initial is passed unless the driver has dcpc aquired/grandfather rights

Cheers guys.

I’m actually very angry at how they got me to book through them.Being completely new to it i had know idea.
I just typed into google lgv training and there’s was at the top of the list.Took a look at there website and all seemed good.
When i spoke with them they asked how much i earn and said i would be on at least £23000 when i get my licence.Didn’t mention anything about cpc.
Nor the fact that i would need 2 years experience to find a good job,unless i’m lucky.
It’s all booked now and i can’t cancell,i just want to get the training done and hopefully all goes well.
Funny thing is,i found this site after i booked with them,and read about beginning training and what to avoid.
I feel gutted to say the least.That’s a lot of money i have just paid.

Neal

clark8:
Cheers guys.

I’m actually very angry at how they got me to book through them.Being completely new to it i had know idea.
I just typed into google lgv training and there’s was at the top of the list.Took a look at there website and all seemed good.
When i spoke with them they asked how much i earn and said i would be on at least £23000 when i get my licence.Didn’t mention anything about cpc.
Nor the fact that i would need 2 years experience to find a good job,unless i’m lucky.
It’s all booked now and i can’t cancell,i just want to get the training done and hopefully all goes well.
Funny thing is,i found this site after i booked with them,and read about beginning training and what to avoid.

Neal

Unfortunately these ‘providers’ are on the legal side of the law but as they do not have to do the actual training their overheads are low so use their profits for advertising and ensuring they are near the top of internet search engines

Before the internet punters simply looked in yellow pages for their local trainer or got recommendations from mates etc

Which ‘proper’ LGV training school have they sent you to for the actual training ?

ROG:

clark8:
Cheers guys.

Neal

Unfortunately these ‘providers’ are on the legal side of the law but as they do not have to do the actual training their overheads are low so use their profits for advertising and ensuring they are near the top of internet search engines

Before the internet punters simply looked in yellow pages for their local trainer or got recommendations from mates etc

Which ‘proper’ LGV training school have they sent you to for the actual training ?

Once i get my licence through i have to ring them to book my theory and haz.
They said the best center with a good pass rate is maidstone,there is one in hastings and brighton,but the pass rates are not high.
Where in maidstone i have no idea.

Ignore pass rates as they do not give an accurate picture

Its the proffessionalism of the training that will be key to passing

If I went for my training in Maidstone it would be a nearly two hour drive to get there.do my training and then drive back.not really ideal.
Hastings is only a half hour drive for me.would probably be better.like you said if the trainer is good I shouldn’t really have any problems.
I will have to ring them and sort something once I have done the theory and haz.
Cheers.

clark8:
If I went for my training in Maidstone it would be a nearly two hour drive to get there.do my training and then drive back.not really ideal.
Hastings is only a half hour drive for me.would probably be better.like you said if the trainer is good I shouldn’t really have any problems.
I will have to ring them and sort something once I have done the theory and haz.
Cheers.

I called drivertrainingcentre.co.uk/ and asked if there were any LGV schools in their area (hastings) who dealt with brokers and they said no so it looks like its going to be another testing area

ROG:

clark8:
Cheers.

I called drivertrainingcentre.co.uk/ and asked if there were any LGV schools in their area (hastings) who dealt with brokers and they said no so it looks like its going to be another testing area

Cheers for that rog.Much appreciated.
That’s not good,they don’t even know where there training centers are?
Getting my just over a £1000 worth then :unamused:
I’m going to ring them now and find out where the closest one is.

If you paid by CREDIT CARD (even in part) and they cannot reasonably accomodate you - 2 hour drive each way is not reasonable in my book - then it could be argued that they have co-erced you into an unreasonable contract which cannot be fulfilled so you want your money back

OK, its a longish shot but may be worth a try with the credit card company

You could try first with the company but dont hold your breath !!

Just spoke with them rog.He has now said the closest is loxwood shoreham,which is only an hour.Better.
There is no cpc included in the course.It would be another £299 if i wanted to do it with them.
Could be a while before i get my licence as i am completely skint after folking out for the course.

Cheers.

clark8:
Just spoke with them rog.He has now said the closest is loxwood shoreham,which is only an hour.Better.
There is no cpc included in the course.It would be another £299 if i wanted to do it with them.
Could be a while before i get my licence as i am completely skint after folking out for the course.

Cheers.

Ask the company you are going to do the actual training with what price they do initial dcpc for then call others in your area for mod 4 prices

The dcpc theory mod 2 you can book and do yourself

No commercial LGV driving can be done until you have mod 4 passed in your case

Looks like it maybe Group One LGV.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks rog.Great help.It’s a lot of info to take in when you first start.Sure i will get there :slight_smile:
Anybody got any experience with group one training?

When you come to book your training ie practical then keep a log of dates times you called any emails sent etc etc , because they may (and not saying they will) but if they dont get your training under way in a reasonable time and thats the key word here , in other words if they keep making promises and dont live up to them if you paid by credit card you can get your money back in full and then go to a proper training company and prob pay less than you are .

unfortunately some of the brokers make promises that they dont keep and keep you hanging on forever for your training whilst still having hold of your money ,

If this happens and I sincerely hope it dosnt I have a letter that I sent to one such broker that a solicitor friend helped me draw up and you are welcome to use it just adjust the person , company names etc to suit your needs , please pm me if you need and I will gladly type it up for you to use ,

Good luck with it all

all the best

clark8:
Getting my just over a £1000 worth then

grouponelgvtraining.co.uk/#/ … 4520118015
For a Cat C 5 day course with group one would be £1080 + £115 = £1195 according to their site

If it is with them then I wonder how many days you will get for your money because the broker will want their cut !!