New Member and Assessment Drive Experience

Morning all

Yesterday was my first experience of driving anything bigger than a Luton van with anything more than 5 gears. It was my half hour assessment drive (and believe me - half an hour was long enough). My heart never dropped below 120 bpm. It was exciting and equally daunting.

It was with SRTS in Exeter. My instructor was very clear and concise about the way he was driving - checking mirrors (both of them) and working up and down the 4 over 4 gearbox. Always looking ahead and behind knowing whats happening behind you and well ahead of you.

Then after ten minutes he pulled over to the kerb and said “Now it’s your turn”. We swapped over and I took a few moments to compose myself. Checked both mirrors, blindspot and off we went. I was in control of a 9 tonne 8 ft wide (can’t remember how long) 8 gear monster. Well that’s how it felt to me for the half hour I was driving it.

I have to say it was very enlightening. I realised how many bad habits I had picked up from driving cars for the past 16 years.

I passed the hazard perception test a couple of weeks back and am going to take the multiple choice and CPC case study tests in a couple of weeks after doing plenty of revision.

In those couple of weeks I will definitely be improving my car driving skills (that apparently have gone out of the window) and then booking up for my 5 day course.

Here’s hoping it all goes to plan.

I am then looking at doing my Hiab training after Christmas and on to the Artic in the summer. If I haven’t had enough of learning to drive big vehicles by then, I might even throw in a PCV course in 2012.

But one step at a time. The next 6 weeks are going to be fun.

Dean

HIYYAAA dar1976 & welcome , sounds like you enjoyed yourself :smiley: & good luck with your future plans ,I hope all goes well for you :smiley:

Thanks. I definitely had fun. Wished I could have had a second go at it today. Maybe I’d have been a little calmer and taken more of it in.

Dean

When are you hopeing to start your training, well done by the way on passing your hazard perception , let us know how you get on :smiley:

SRTS offer a days Theory and Case Study training so will be taking them up on that. Looking at taking multiple choice and Case Study around about 9/10 Sept as that is current lead time for the nearest centre. Then assuming I get through that (not sure I will first time - as trying to get the theory to sink in is not going so well) I will be booking a week up as soon as possible after that. Hoping to be done by End October as my other half is due to have baby 1st Nov.

Dean

The dsa CD-rom multiple questions is very helpfull from most good book shops , it is just a case of learning it . Let us know how you get on, & best wishes for the family addition on the way :smiley:

Hi dar1976,

Welcome. It can seem a bit daunting 1st but you obviously seemed to enjoy yourself. I know of SRTS and can say Steve is a good chap and SRTS are good at what they do. Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on.

Bonnie

I have all the DSA books I can think of coming out of my ears. Just so many regulations to remember regarding hours and lengths/widths markers etc.

Did not see Steve. He is away on holiday from what I can gather. But the guy that took me out for the assessment drive was very professional.

Its both exciting and daunting. But really looking forward to the practical stuff.

Dean

Hi Dean

Regards Multiple choice if you read the books should fly through it and if you need any help with cpc studies look at stickies at top of forum theres a walk through from one of the members who has just recently passed his should help :wink:

Good luck with all the training and all the best for your new arrival keep us all informed how you get on truck wise and daddy wise :wink:

Jennie x

Thanks Jennie for the welcome.

At the age of 34 it just doesn’t seem to be going in to my non-absorbant head like it used to. But hopefully I will be able to get through it. I think the classroom session will help get me through it too.

Really excited about the course and of course becoming a daddy again :wink:

Dean

Passed my Multiple Choice today. 95 out of 100. Was totally stressed about it.

Module 2 test tomorrow morning at 8.30am :unamused:

Hopefully will come away with a pass on that one too

Then onwards and upwards :smiley:

Well done on passing your multiple questions, have you done your hazard perception as well ? Good luck for tomorrow & try to stay calm & dont stress about it. Let us know how you got on :smiley:

Took HPT a couple of weeks back and passed first time. Neither was as bad as expected. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Dean

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds Like you have a good instuctor there, you learn’t somthing on your assessment drive and retained it all the best with your training and good luck.

Can’t believe I did it. Passed module 2. More luck than judgement IMHO. Still, a pass is a pass even at 8.30 this morning. So onwards and upwards

Well done on all the passes

welcome to the mad house btw :laughing: :laughing:

tbh not much money in driving

Hi dar1976,

I’ve got my module 2 tomorrow. Any info you could spare about it would be most appreciated.

Congrats.

CD…

whalecum mate i think it would be easyer to get barbara cartland up the duff than get a job driveing trucks at this time. but good luck. :smiley: :smiley: :cry: :imp:

To be honest caitlinsdad, I don’t know how I passed it.

There are 7 separate scenarios with between 5-10 questions relating to each. The scenario stays on the left while the multiple choice questions change on the right.

75 minutes to do 50 questions.

I managed it in about 40 minutes, giving me a chance to run through my answers again

All questions are based on the theory that you should already know. Its just about putting it into a ‘real life’ scenario.

Some are very easy (IMHO) and some need a little more thought.

Drivers hours and load securing seemed to be the basis of my questions but I alsohad questions on what should be done at the scene of an accident you are involved in.

Good Luck tomorrow !!

Dean

cockneygazzer:
whalecum mate i think it would be easyer to get barbara cartland up the duff than get a job driveing trucks at this time. but good luck. :smiley: :smiley: :cry: :imp:

Thanks for the confidence boost !!

I am sorry thing have not worked out for you at the moment but keep plodding away and something will come eventually.

Dean