New load security rules

It should be the driver’s responsibility to do it. I would want it secured the way I WANT IT, not someone else to say “yeah, it’s done, wont go nowhere” and then it fall out the side when I go round round a roundybout.

Just turn up at your normal time and do it, the planner will have to reschedule the work to account for the new, longer, loading time.

selby newcomer:

Conor:

selby newcomer:
if my start time is 6am, I ain’t got a problem coming in at 5am to do it.

no, you start at six, then strap it up! Why do it in your own UNPAID TIME? :open_mouth: planners problem! :unamused: you’re the driver, strap it up whilst getting PAID! :sunglasses: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:

selby newcomer:

Conor:

selby newcomer:
if my start time is 6am, I ain’t got a problem coming in at 5am to do it.

no, you start at six, then strap it up! Why do it in your own UNPAID TIME? :open_mouth: planners problem! :unamused: you’re the driver, strap it up whilst getting PAID! :sunglasses: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I get paid from when I come in, if I’m asked to start at 6 and I come in at 5, I’ll get paid from 5, I ain’t that mad to work for free

drivers responsibility … if you don’t wanna come in early don’t, your paid by the hour, so if your late it aint your fault , the only thing that will happen is
They will plan you an hour or 30 min earlier start to do this in which you say you don’t want to do but then you’ll do it cause you get paid so I really don’t see the problem :unamused:

next you’ll be saying Your Mrs didn’t make your sandwiches so you cant go in to work ffs get on with the job your lucky some aint even got one

nick2008:
drivers responsibility … if you don’t wanna come in early don’t, your paid by the hour, so if your late it aint your fault , the only thing that will happen is
They will plan you an hour or 30 min earlier start to do this in which you say you don’t want to do but then you’ll do it cause you get paid so I really don’t see the problem :unamused:

next you’ll be saying Your Mrs didn’t make your sandwiches so you cant go in to work ffs get on with the job your lucky some aint even got one

Yep nice comparison, sandwiches and load security :unamused:

Where have I said I’m not gonna get on with my job■■? I do as I’m asked, don’t have to like it, but I still do it, I asked for opinions, not what I should do :unamused:

So when your stood at the side of the road with half a ton of crap sat on top of a car just say to the copper “well I think its a bit much to expect me to be responsible for my load security the loaders are supposed to do it”

Think I know the responce dont you?

Loader driving the truck was he? your going to jail.

mozzer44:
You think it’s a bit much ha ha! Give this man a trombone trailer to rope and sheet!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.312217,-3.465029

Why and how would you rope a trombone? Where do you fasten the ropes on the stretcher

can’t you just drop your trailer, park up the unit, then sleep until the loader gives you a knock when it’s ready.

New rules my eye
its always been the law for a load to be secure.

and as for who does what
theres no reason for the loader not to secure the load
the driver only has to be sure that it is done correctly.

its all about training train the loaders to do it properly
i know this is going to be difficult cos loaders cant even but
an odd number ofpallets on a truck correctly

hitch:
and as for who does what

Actually prising their arses off the FLT to open an unbuckled curtain would be a start in our place. :imp:

hitch:
New rules my eye
its always been the law for a load to be secure.

and as for who does what

its all about training train the loaders to do it properly
i know this is going to be difficult cos loaders cant even but
an odd number ofpallets on a truck correctly

Training training and yet more bloody training for gods sake!

Before we all got this "training " bloody mantra forced down our gullet billions of tons of freight was transported billions of miles perfectly safely and without incident.
Now all of a sudden I got to have "training " to wipe my own ■■■!
People out there still have a little bit of common sense and gumption.
Just get off our bloody case maybe you need training but some of us can think for ourselves thanks.
“training” has become an industry within itself,another leech on the poor buggers out there trying to make a living doing an honest days work.We dont need anymore of this crap .What you need to learn you learn from your peers not somebody who screws you for a bit of bloody paper.
And knows f888 all at the end of the day cos they never even done the job.2 weeks working with people who do the job day in day out at a proper haulage yard will teach you more than every bloody CPC module you could sleep through in a thousand bloody years.

Hiya i had those webbing type nets in a trailer in 1986.nothing but a pain in the backside
doing multi drops. also if you need to move the centre post to get a pallet out you have to
unfasten all the nets… we had a truck go wallop near Thirsk who had his nets fastened
the load pushed the nets out with the curtains as the roof ( which is so weak no one would dare stand on)came down because it had no strength.
we also had later on curtains with a metal mesh between double skin curtains (for security)
but you pulled your gut out because they was heavy and not very flexable, they was also
fasted to a skinny little aluminium roof that had no strength.
John

3300John:
Hiya i had those webbing type nets in a trailer in 1986.nothing but a pain in the backside
doing multi drops. also if you need to move the centre post to get a pallet out you have to
unfasten all the nets… we had a truck go wallop near Thirsk who had his nets fastened
the load pushed the nets out with the curtains as the roof ( which is so weak no one would dare stand on)came down because it had no strength.
we also had later on curtains with a metal mesh between double skin curtains (for security)
but you pulled your gut out because they was heavy and not very flexable, they was also
fasted to a skinny little aluminium roof that had no strength.
John

The nets I’ve seen - assuming they’re the same - aren’t relying on the roof or curtains for strength, they’re suspended from the roof yes, but when you pull it down and strap both sides, it’s no different than a normal cargo net being strapped to the trailer chassis :question:

I like them tbh, they’d suit the type of work I do, whereas straps and internal straps are useless.

Not sure what the problem is. :confused: If it takes half an hour to secure then you still come in at 2 and crack on securing it after your brew/■■■/natter and leave when it’s done. If the office say you’re leaving too late then that’s their problem. Your start time is 2 so get them to rebook it or give you a later load where you’ll have enough time to secure. I don’t understand why you come in an hour earlier than your contracted start time anyway :open_mouth: . Are you off your rocker? :unamused: The nets don’t take 30 mins anyway, unless you’re some hamfisted buffoon. At the very max they’re 10 minutes and it’d have to be blowing a force 9 for it to take that long. When I was working out of the brewery it took a couple of mins tops to pull them across and fasten the buckles. It’s just like doing up a curtain sider twice.

selby newcomer:

nick2008:

Yep nice comparison, sandwiches and load security :unamused:

Where have I said I’m not gonna get on with my job■■? I do as I’m asked, don’t have to like it, but I still do it, I asked for opinions, not what I should do :unamused:

With the new load security rules coming in recently, we’ve had a few of our curtain siders fitted out with new webbing which hangs from the internal strap runners. I’ve yet to try them out, but a couple of the lads say its a pain in the arse.

But my question is, who’s responsibility should it be to fasten the webbing over the pallets??
I know it’s a drivers job to check the load is secure, but me and the other drivers at our place think its a bit much to ask us to carry out this as it takes around 30 minutes minimum, to undo the curtains and fasten the webbing and then redo the curtains back up. Our point is that we start at 2am sometimes and think its a bit much to expect us to come in earlier to carry out the strapping of the load, we are saying the loaders should take care of it and they are saying its us drivers that should do it

Fella its your job to ensure the load is secure end of.
you don’t like the fact you have to come in early then don’t (but when the planners change your times you wont have any option so whats the difference …and as you say you get paid even if you turn up early :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: your moan cause you gotta bit of work to do whoopee crack on drive your paid to do a job so get on with it. if you don’t agree that’s up to you ont know how long you been drivin or what ur past experience is seams you’ve had it easy though.

To solve all of this type of problem, I suggest that all curtain siders are Banned. :smiley:
Make all the trailers Flat bed :frowning:
Then all the drivers can rope and sheet :open_mouth:
That way the load will be secured by the driver, whose responsibility it is anyway :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think a few people have got the wrong end of the stick, I haven’t got a problem securing the load myself, I’m just looking for a bit of give and take from the loaders/warehouse, when we have an early start like 2am til 4am say, they could help us out by securing the webbing on the load, so we can come in and check its secure and away we go. The warehouse boys will do their 8 hours and go home, I’m just looking for a bit of help to help us out.any other start times and I’ll gladly crack on and secure the load myself.

We drop a trailer on a door and we get moaned at if we don’t chock it and put a jack under it, surely that’s the warehouse mans job to check and do if necessary when he starts to load

Rob K:
Not sure what the problem is. :confused: . Are you off your rocker? :unamused: The nets don’t take 30 mins anyway, unless you’re some hamfisted buffoon.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Another classic-Rob post :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

selby newcomer:
I think a few people have got the wrong end of the stick, I haven’t got a problem securing the load myself, I’m just looking for a bit of give and take from the loaders/warehouse, when we have an early start like 2am til 4am say, they could help us out by securing the webbing on the load, so we can come in and check its secure and away we go. The warehouse boys will do their 8 hours and go home, I’m just looking for a bit of help to help us out.any other start times and I’ll gladly crack on and secure the load myself.

We drop a trailer on a door and we get moaned at if we don’t chock it and put a jack under it, surely that’s the warehouse mans job to check and do if necessary when he starts to load

No one has the wrong end of any stick.

You as the driver are responsible for securing the load

You come in at your normal time and take the time it takes to secure your load.

Get on with the job.

Simples

Im going to get berated here but I’ve only ever strapped the things I need to strap up, stuff I know could move. I don’t believe everything needs strapping. Just because it is strapped doesn’t mean its safe. 99.99999% of everything I’ve carried in 18 years has been in the same postition on the truck as when it was loaded. The other .00001% may have fallen over, whether it be due to taking a corner too fast or bad stacking/wrapping of the pallet or someone forcing you to brake sharpish, everything has stayed on the wagon. Don’t get me wrong, bulky items, hazardous items, taller pallets than the ones they are behind all get strapped, but common sense needs exercising here (again).

If you load Heinz then the pallets are not even wrapped because they don’t fall over. I know everything in Germany needs strapping as working on loading Mammoet trailers for Euro destinations I had to ratchet strap everything (and they are on Euroliners with frames and all that). Even so, if you have a roll over then the load is going to shift one way or another. Straps or netting is not going to hold it in place. Even the chassis of the truck doesn’t hold the truck in place half the time