New load security rules

With the new load security rules coming in recently, we’ve had a few of our curtain siders fitted out with new webbing which hangs from the internal strap runners. I’ve yet to try them out, but a couple of the lads say its a pain in the arse.

But my question is, who’s responsibility should it be to fasten the webbing over the pallets?? I know it’s a drivers job to check the load is secure, but me and the other drivers at our place think its a bit much to ask us to carry out this as it takes around 30 minutes minimum, to undo the curtains and fasten the webbing and then redo the curtains back up. Our point is that we start at 2am sometimes and think its a bit much to expect us to come in earlier to carry out the strapping of the load, we are saying the loaders should take care of it and they are saying its us drivers that should do it

Just want your opinion plz

it’s the drivers job.
any driver worth his salt wouldn’t want anyone else securing his load.

And if your paid by the hour…

Ken.

Driver’s job, but just come in at your normal time and strap up the planner will either have to re.book the tip or sort it out some other way, you can’t be expected to do the job in the same time as before, so it’s their job to sort it.

Quinny:
And if your paid by the hour…

Ken.

I’m paid by the hour, but would rather get up for work at 1am instead of 12 midnight for a 2am start.

You think it’s a bit much ha ha! Give this man a trombone trailer to rope and sheet!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.312217,-3.465029

limeyphil:
it’s the drivers job.

+1

I wouldn’t trust some lazy forklift driver to get it right

Owen

robroy:
Just come in at your normal time and strap up the planner will either have to re.book the tip or sort it out some other way, you can’t be expected to do the job in the same time as before, so it’s their job to sort it.

That’s exactly how I’ve been thinking of doing it

Hippo:

limeyphil:
it’s the drivers job.

+1

I wouldn’t trust some lazy forklift driver to get it right

Owen

It’s really not difficult, the same as doing curtains, just time consuming.

selby newcomer:
With the new load security rules coming in recently,

They’re not new. Its just that they’ve recently decided to enforce them.

But my question is, who’s responsibility should it be to fasten the webbing over the pallets?? I know it’s a drivers job to check the load is secure, but me and the other drivers at our place think its a bit much to ask us to carry out this as it takes around 30 minutes minimum, to undo the curtains and fasten the webbing and then redo the curtains back up. Our point is that we start at 2am sometimes and think its a bit much to expect us to come in earlier to carry out the strapping of the load, we are saying the loaders should take care of it and they are saying its us drivers that should do it

Just want your opinion plz

Drivers. You think it is the loaders who should be doing it to save you time but if the loaders do it, you could tie them up doing nothing but strapping loads down. 10 trailers would take a loader more than half their working day.

When I used to be a shunter drivers used to say the same about putting side bars in trailers - “it only takes 5 minutes to do and we’re on a card, why can’t you do it?” Because if you have to do 50 trailers a shift, nearly 6hrs of one shunters shift is spent doing side bars instead of moving trailers around and with the amount of trailer movements we had to do, we couldn’t afford the time. It will be the same with your loaders.

And unless you can legally start before 2am you don’t want to be coming in early to do it.

selby newcomer:

So whats your problem? I used to have to do it at my last job. Took 10 minutes including doing the curtain buckles and at least I knew it was done properly.

selby newcomer:

robroy:
Just come in at your normal time and strap up the planner will either have to re.book the tip or sort it out some other way, you can’t be expected to do the job in the same time as before, so it’s their job to sort it.

That’s exactly how I’ve been thinking of doing it

By the way I didn’t mean strap up the planner…as it reads :laughing: :laughing:

Do u work for khune and nagel by any chance as all their trailers that I have seen in there Manchester depot (beer and drinks) when loaded I see the shunted doing the webbing then closing the curtain and move a trailer round the back! I assume ready for a driver to hookup and go in the morning! So it does happen!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.312195,-3.465040

l agree it’s down to the driver to secure his load. surely you would check your straps/netting anyway ?

mozzer44:
You think it’s a bit much ha ha! Give this man a trombone trailer to rope and sheet!
+1

mozzer44:

I ain’t got a problem doing it, the problem is the 2am start now becoming a 1:15 am start

Conor:

selby newcomer:

So whats your problem? I used to have to do it at my last job. Took 10 minutes including doing the curtain buckles and at least I knew it was done properly.

You’ve just said in another post 10 trailers can take up half of a loaders day and now in this post you say a trailer will take 10 minutes.

I’ve already said my problem is the time I’ll have to start at, if my start time is 6am, I ain’t got a problem coming in at 5am to do it.

mozzer44:
Do u work for khune and nagel by any chance as all their trailers that I have seen in there Manchester depot (beer and drinks) when loaded I see the shunted doing the webbing then closing the curtain and move a trailer round the back! I assume ready for a driver to hookup and go in the morning! So it does happen!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.312195,-3.465040

No, not K&N, am on for ND

stu bag:
l agree it’s down to the driver to secure his load. surely you would check your straps/netting anyway ?

Yeah I’d check the load, but that’s just a case of going in the back and checking the webbing is tied, 5 minute job

As already said surely the load planner should alter
your delivery time to suit ? .