New lad with a question about using a Tacho

Hello all,

After recently passing my C+E I’ve been lucky enough to get a start with a small haulier who is going to show me the ropes. I’ve done as much learning as I can as to avoid asking him stupid questions but no matter how much I search I can’t find an answer to this one. Basically how much leeway do I have to take my 45mins break around the 4.5 hour mark?

For example. If I started work at 8.00 and drove until 12.30 do I take my break before 12.30, during 12.30 or after 12.30? And if I do take it before or after 12.30 how far before or after are you allowed to take it as in 15 mins? 1 hour?

I know this is going to sound daft but it would help a guy out if someone could clear this up for me and save me looking a tool in front of the new Boss.

Thanks in advance.

A break after accumulated driving time of 4.5 hours. It’s not 4 hours 31 mins or 4 hours 45 minutes. VOSA will probably not do anything if you go over by 15 mins or so but will take action if it happens regularly.

This is something you SHOUlD ask your new employer. He might want you to take your break by 4:15 just to make sure you don’t go over.

This is also the same for the WTD break.

Just out of interest, why do you want to try and cut it so close?

Thanks for the reply, so basically what your saying is unless theres some unforeseen circumstances at the 4.5 hour mark I need to be taking my break? Not before or after?

I’m not trying to cut it close but I think that I’ve just over thought it a little. I was thinking that if a truck was on the motorway and was approaching a services with ten minutes left before 4.5 hours but the next one was ten minutes after the 4.5 hour mark should he pull up at the first one and wait until 4.5 hours then hit the break button or just carry on too the second one and take it after the 4.5 hours?

Thanks again.

Right I’m crap at explaining things but you must take a 45 before the 4.30 is up, you can take your break anytime in that 4.30. Eg if you was to do a 10 hr drive you could do a 2.30hr drive, followed by a 45min break, drive for 4hr, break for 45min then drive for 3.30.

terratology:
Right I’m crap at explaining things but you must take a 45 before the 4.30 is up, you can take your break anytime in that 4.30. Eg if you was to do a 10 hr drive you could do a 2.30hr drive, followed by a 45min break, drive for 4hr, break for 45min then drive for 3.30.

yep, best way not to confuse a newb! :laughing: mind you to the OP my mates always push on say if they’ve time to pull over at beconsfield :sunglasses: on 3.5 hrs for a forty five ( they’ll go oooooohhhhhhh M25 won’t be busy ) :smiley: as soon as they commit BANG 6 hrs drive to cobham services! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: always think ahead on digi, if you need a forty five at say 2.5 hrs driving, DO IT! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: it’s your NAME on YOUR licence! :sunglasses:

You MUST NOT go over your 4.5 hrs driving full stop. Only in rare unforseen circumstances should you do that. If you’re on a road with lots of laybys or other places to park then you could probably push your driving time closer to the limit but otherwise look at parking up no later than 4.15 or even before if on a motorway.
You really do need to observe this driving time limit and your breaks too.

Thanks for all the replies, thats cleared it up a bit and saved me from looking a numpty on my first day.

Fella if this new employer doesn’t explain things ask him don’t just do something and then potentially make a mistake that could kill you or someone else better to ask than just do it I spent 50 mins getting shown how to use a container lock for my first night out as I am new to class 1 work I ask about everything just to make sure. Also I check with the garage about my trucks if I am slightly worried or conserned please don’t be donned off with someone saying it’s ok with out them looking and cover your ■■■ if you are cab hopping write every defect down scratches everything so new boy doesn’t get blamed

Sorry it was a long thread.

terratology:

Is this correct I always thought you could drive for 4.30 before a break is needed but not over which sometimes is possible not that the break should be taken before 4.30, it’s a bit like the WTD you can work for 6 hours before 15 min break but not go over.

mac12:

terratology:

Is this correct I always thought you could drive for 4.30 before a break is needed but not over which sometimes is possible not that the break should be taken before 4.30, it’s a bit like the WTD you can work for 6 hours before 15 min break but not go over.

Isn’t that what he just said? :

but you must take a 45 before the 4.30 is up, you can take your break anytime in that 4.30.

The explanation seems fine to me.

mac12:

terratology:

You’re correct, you must have a 45 minute break when you’ve reached 4½ hours driving time, or before, not necessarily before the 4½ is up.

Though to be fair that’s probably what was meant but just not worded correctly :wink:

tachograph:

mac12:

terratology:

You’re correct, you must have a 45 minute break when you’ve reached 4½ hours driving time, or before, not necessarily before the 4½ is up.

Though to be fair that’s probably what was meant but just not worded correctly :wink:

As stated I am crap at explaining things hence why I don’t normally bother!! :grimacing:

or to put it another way, you can have your 45 mins at 4 hours driving or 3 hours driving…or even after only driving 5 minutes… just don’t go over 4½ hrs driving without a break…
And, including other work, don’t go over 6 hrs without a break for the WTD.

So Hypothetically if I started work at 8.00 and took a break at 12.15 I could drive until 5.15 take another 45 I could drive for another 1.5 hours to make up my 10 hours driving limit?

Sorry to sound like a moron but I just want to be crystal on this.

StreetTriple:
So Hypothetically if I started work at 8.00 and took a break at 12.15 I could drive until 5.15 take another 45 I could drive for another 1.5 hours to make up my 10 hours driving limit?

Sorry to sound like a moron but I just want to be crystal on this.

Yes, thats fine but you can’t do 10 hours driving every day.

…or have a 15 min break early on, then a 30 min break before the 4.5 hrs limit - you don’t have to take the 45 mins break all in one go

But remember if you split your brake, it must be at least 15mins to count at all, so if you stop for only 5mins it counts for nothing. The 2nd brake must also be for a minimum of 30 mins. So if you did a 30 min brake after 2 hours you’d still need another 30 min brake at the 4.5 hour mark as the 2nd brake must be 30 mins. That’s why it’s common to do 15 then 30- maximum flexibility and only need to stop for 45 total.

If you split your brake, you’ll need a fitter.

Lol good point, splitting your break is a much better idea!