New lad with a question about using a Tacho

StreetTriple:
Thanks for all the replies, thats cleared it up a bit and saved me from looking a numpty on my first day.

If your unsure, it always pays you to ask.

Better you ask, than look a complete ■■■■ by pretending to know it all.

Ken.

unless your on a regular long run breaks wont be always a clear cut decision
also if you know your going to need more than 9 hours driving have a break at 3hr 20 then at 6hr 40

Was it not in mod 2 initial dcpc?

I mean, not trying to sound nasty, but should you not have learnt about driving hours to get your blue card? I know I did.

But still good you’re asking if unsure still.

I always used to get a 15 minute in fairly early on, usually while waiting somewhere. I never used POA so all stops were breaks. By getting a 15 in early, you get a bit of leeway at lunchtime, as you can get cracking after 30 if you are running late. I generally used to take an hour for lunch though. Also, if you have a lot of drops but not so much driving, you can easily get to 6 hours without a break. That early 15 keeps you tidy for the WTD.

A question to ask your new boss is whether he wants you to use POA.

If you stop for your break at 4h 20 you do NOT need to sit and wait for 10 minutes to put it on break. Once you’re on break, put it on break

Unless you’re doing tramping work from England to Scotland or vv., you’re unlikely to ever have to worry about needing a 2nd full tacho break.

Santa:
I always used to get a 15 minute in fairly early on,

I done similar yesterday, i had a load that was going to be at least 2 hrs late so after an hour of waiting i had a quick spin up and down the yard which put 2 mins driving time on and then took a 15 so all i needed later was a 30. :sunglasses:

I find it handy to get a 15 in on second 4.5 (i try to work it in with the offload)just in case you have do a 10 hr drive and are forced to stop 30mins from base ,nothing worse that being that close and forced to pull over for a full 45 when all you want to do is crack on and get home