New Jobs for immigrants

In my local paper today - the evening standard, there is a advert for van drivers and 7.5 tonne drivers. nothing unusual in that. BUT, they are appealing for people who are immigrants who have passed the relevant driving tests and are legally allowed to work in the UK.

Is this discrimination against white people?

I am sure they are only making sure that all members of our society are welcome to apply for the job! quite right to! :sunglasses:

I never see any ads saying “only white british need apply”. so why advertise ONLY for immigrants? seems a bit unfair to me

bulldog:
I never see any ads saying “only white british need apply”. so why advertise ONLY for immigrants? seems a bit unfair to me

An add saying only white british need apply would be racist!

on the other hand an add making it clear all members of our society can apply is very genuine! and honest!

if they are asking specifically for imigrants then yes it is discriminating against white people.
but if they are just saying applications from them would be welcome then no it isn`t :wink:

i supose it`s in the wording.

an ad for ONLY immigrants is also racist. Racist against the majority of the population here which just happen to be white british.

try this advertising standards
asa.org.uk/index.asp

most of the legal immigrants will be more white than some british nationals

bulldog:
white british.

I am not so sure they is such a term!

But your example just stated that

they are appealing for people who are immigrants who have passed the relevant driving tests and are legally allowed to work in the UK.

So for my money they are informing these people they are welcome in applying for the job! nothing wrong in that!

exact wording:
“Drivers required. van drivers and 7.5t drivers required to fulfill new contract delivering laundry to the hotel industry in central london. we are particularly interested in recruiting members of all ethnic backgrounds who hold a current driving licence and relevant work permits. wages negotiable and hours to suit. contact…”

And the exact wording is different to what you implied it was in your first post. It says ALL ethnic backgorunds and that would include the people you refer to as ‘white British’ so what is your problem? Or is ‘white British’ not an ethnic background?

That wording is pretty standard in job adverts these days.

bulldog:
exact wording:
“Drivers required. van drivers and 7.5t drivers required to fulfill new contract delivering laundry to the hotel industry in central london. we are particularly interested in recruiting members of all ethnic backgrounds who hold a current driving licence and relevant work permits. wages negotiable and hours to suit. contact…”

personaly I dont see a problem in that advert! most companies do have a policy of fairly representing the community they employ from.
Some companies have to prove they are not racist! luck for some… people do not!

apart from anything else… the advertiser is obviously looking to exploit aint he…

yep,got to admit it sounds discriminating to me…but they will get away with it cos the word "particularly " in there instead of “only” :open_mouth:

my problem is this.
its an ad for drivers. big deal.
why should it particularly have the words “ethnic background” in it? that implies to me foreign people who have come to live here. also the ad suggests you must have work permits. I’ve never heard of a british person who was born here to need a work permit.

english_jock:
yep,got to admit it sounds discriminating to me…:

Who are they discriminating against? It says ALL ethnic backgrounds so that covers everybody. Who have they left out and are discriminating against?

i thinkt hat you just have to looka t all of bulldog’s previous posts in various topics to see where this one is headed/heading.

and no i do not think that it is racist as all ethnic backgrounds include all of the known world

ffs

Coffeeholic:

english_jock:
yep,got to admit it sounds discriminating to me…:

Who are they discriminating against? It says ALL ethnic backgrounds so that covers everybody. Who have they left out and are discriminating against?

then why bother to put "all ethnic backgrounds " in the advert at all neil :question:
it`s not needed if it means everybody :exclamation:

i cant ever remember seeing any advertisement saying only aboriginies need apply. :unamused:

“we are particularly interested in recruiting members of all ethnic backgrounds who hold a current driving licence and relevant work permits”

I dont think it is discrimination in the advert, but what about at the interview? They are more interested in employing minorities than employing good drivers who would expect a decent wage. They want to exploit them basically, which is rasist also.

However remember a fair few months back. There was an argument about someone advertising in the jobcentre stating that “hard working people only need apply” this was decided discriminatory against disabled people. So prohapse the advert is rasist.

All adverts should just say what the job is, brief description, wage & contact. There should be no mention on what race or ■■■ they want to apply then its fair to everyone

Oh yes

ethnic : from a different race or interesting because characteristic of an ethnic group which is very different from those that are common in western culture

ralliesport:
"
All adverts should just say what the job is, brief description, wage & contact. There should be no mention on what race or ■■■ they want to apply then its fair to everyone

thank you,thats all i`m trying to say (but not making a good job of it :laughing: )