New Job!

After a month or so on agency, I’ve been offered a job by one of the companies I’ve worked for. I’ve done about 3 days for them yet agency say “the right protocol” hasn’t been followed. Surely new employer isn’t liable to pay “recruiting fee” as they hired me adhoc?

Depends what is in the contract and that you will never knw. A friend of mine was going to go direct to a company after a two year break. The guy who he used to work for put the block on it as his contract was very well worded

Muckaway:
After a month or so on agency, I’ve been offered a job by one of the companies I’ve worked for. I’ve done about 3 days for them yet agency say “the right protocol” hasn’t been followed. Surely new employer isn’t liable to pay “recruiting fee” as they hired me adhoc?

They probably are that’s how these things usually work. Unless you keep your gob shut and just take the job but I gather you’re not too good at that? :grimacing:

what sort of job

Agencies don’t like companies poaching the cash generators they supply …at all !! But you know what …■■■■ em !

Shouldn’t have mentioned it to agency if there is that’s down to the agency and company to sort out.
Must say your posts seem a lot more happy since you left smiths.

If you worked for them whilst you was on agency and they have offered you a job, they would have to pay the agency off otherwise It can get a bit messy legal wise.
You shouldn’t have said anything to your agency.
The same thing happened to me once but I kept quiet and I ended up working for better money because they wasn’t going through agency and I wanted more than they were offering as standard so it worked out best for everyone… Except the agency of course.

Go for the job :sunglasses:

The agency will get very shouty, though, at least they did when I jumped ship and did the same thing a few years back.

I felt so bad for them, I had to have crisis counselling - NOT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it! let the agency sort themselves out,they may demand a fee from your new employer but thats between them not you! as Kr79 wrote you seem a lot more happy after leaving Smiths(I always thought they were a well run family firm but like all these firms that supply the construction industry probably full of bottom licking ladder climbing management trying to get one over on everyone else!)

I worked for an agency & was made permanent buy the company I was working for, but had to wait until I had worked continuously for the company for 13 weeks otherwise they would have to buy me out of the contract with the agency, which they would not do as they have done that before & the person has left leaving them out of pocket.
It may be common knowledge, but after continually working for the same company for 13 weeks (agency), then the agency has to pay the going rate, the same as the company pays their employees.

Been in same situation in past - offered perm job by company - company paid agency for first 8 weeks then went on company books - seems to be a standard approach

i just kept quiet! :wink:

i had exactly the same when i started told them to get lost hr did same and said wouldnt use the agency again they soon disapeared :smiley:

Unless you have a contract of employment from the agency I can’t see a problem.

Dave the Renegade:

The contract is between the agency and the employer and they will have one, it will in a round about way say that he must of left the agency for atleast 6months before any of the agencies clients can employ him. They’ll fight it because its easy money, the fee could be atleast a grand.

i,ve had the same in the past, had to work 12 weeks for agency before joining company, however i was told this was only because the agency supplied regular drivers/mates and warehouse staff for busy periods… so i guess it might be down to what relationship the agency as with your new employer… can become costly for the employer…

Would an agency really take a client to court for poaching one driver?

Upset client, gets in paper and via grapevine, other clients think sod this, agency finds themselves with no clients, or does it not work like this.

Its the agency equivalent of the half wit driver who leaves a company then shops 'em to VOSA, a more sure fire way of making oneself unemployable/untouchable i can’t imagine.

but then would the agency want every client to know that they can poach any agency staff without any fees ect being involved?

Saaamon:

Dave the Renegade:

The contract is between the agency and the employer and they will have one, it will in a round about way say that he must of left the agency for atleast 6months before any of the agencies clients can employ him. They’ll fight it because its easy money, the fee could be atleast a grand.

^^^^^This

kr79:
Shouldn’t have mentioned it to agency if there is that’s down to the agency and company to sort out.
Must say your posts seem a lot more happy since you left smiths.

True, but they do send adhoc drivers’ mates to them so I thought better to tell them myself and not secondhand (had enough of that where I used to be). I’d applied for the job before the agency sent me there.
I’ve really enjoyed being away from tippers, never saw myself doing anything else. Since Smiths though I’ve done chilled, nights, curtainside, tail lifts and supermarkets.