New job on tankers

well had my first day today doing what I have always fancied, when I say fancied, I really didn’t realise just how much work was involved. The hoses are big heavy and the couplings are pretty much a nightmare if you don’t have half a scaffold bar to lever the clamps together. Although enjoyable and more interesting than general haulage it is certainly not an easy option as I first suspected, but then I suppose that all depends on your load. I am transporting effluent food waste so quite messy.

. I am transporting effluent food waste so quite messy.

Instead of talking it??
Regards
Pat

peeej48:

Instead of talking it??
Regards
Pat

Nice one.Beat me too it.[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

UKtramp:
well had my first day today doing what I have always fancied, when I say fancied, I really didn’t realise just how much work was involved. The hoses are big heavy and the couplings are pretty much a nightmare if you don’t have half a scaffold bar to lever the clamps together. Although enjoyable and more interesting than general haulage it is certainly not an easy option as I first suspected, but then I suppose that all depends on your load. I am transporting effluent food waste so quite messy.

How many driving jobs have you actually had in the last couple of years? I bet you have more uniforms than Eagerbeaver

Hurray, more nonsense :unamused:

peeej48:

Instead of talking it??
Regards
Pat

A whole tanker full of it :smiley:

Hello UK tramp

Did a few years on tankers myself back in the 80’s. Was a great job then and still is today compared to most.
Hard to get into unless you are top notch. :wink:

schizophrenia…talking to ones self even when typing has to be right up there.
here comes another tanker full of crap.driving it,pulling it,talking it,posting it.
however no doubt a varied interesting job even for experts.
im thinking possibly 2 pages of gripping info before the lock.

id recon with the wages cut to death then id rather be sitting waiting on a fridge to get loaded than twaddling about lugging hoses and wobbling about on top of a tanker in the rain might be more rewarding?

dieseldog999:
id recon with the wages cut to death then id rather be sitting waiting on a fridge to get loaded than twaddling about lugging hoses and wobbling about on top of a tanker in the rain might be more rewarding?

As someone who has actually recently started a job on tankers I must point out that it’s far and away the easiest job I’ve ever had, way easier the fridge work and almost nowhere will let you leave the ground let alone go on top of a tanker!

Hmmmmm

E2C602AB-2F9C-460E-BECB-35DD69FEED87.jpeg

switchlogic:

dieseldog999:

As someone who has actually recently started a job on tankers I must point out that it’s far and away the easiest job I’ve ever had, way easier the fridge work and almost nowhere will let you leave the ground let alone go on top of a tanker!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
each to their own?
something ive just couldnt be tempted to do.
tankers,car transporters,wag&drag,bottles or loads of hay.
theres nothing wage wise would tempt me to do that work when i just dont fancy it.
even years ago when they were on mega wages compared to normal ones then i just would never have chased the work there.
but if it suits you,then crack on drive. :slight_smile:

The most difficult bit of my job is getting out the cab to hand paperwork in and getting back in to relax while it tips. Very occasionally I might have to attach a hose but that’s ■■■■ easy too.

i suppose not delivering to rdc`s would be another bonus coupled with the fact that you wouldnt need to have a phd in fridge engineering in case the thing kakks itself when discharging. :slight_smile:

UKtramp:

The trick, as in any engineering, is to have extension bars or other tools of the appropriate length to lever without undue effort.

Petrol tankers in the 80’s was way better than any other type of work and that’s a fact.
Far better pay and conditions and worked with some of the most decent drivers ever.
Those that say they don’t fancy it (even now) have probably never had an offer.
TBH though don’t fancy your type UK.

jakethesnake:
Petrol tankers in the 80’s was way better than any other type of work and that’s a fact.
Far better pay and conditions and worked with some of the most decent drivers ever.

In the 80s yes. Nowadays, not so much.

One of the main things to bear in mind is that competition is fierce, both because the wages remain modestly higher, and (I think mainly) because it still lives off its reputation as a good job decades ago.

But you shouldn’t imagine they’re paying you that wage gratuitously as a mark of their respect for your excellence, nor that all-powerful unions and a solid workforce are still able to extract a very fair share.

The wages only remain high to retain trained and experienced drivers in the face of adverse conditions.

Tanker work for the newbie is ok, but you can and will learn as you go along…not my ideal tanker work, as i did flour or sugar…which was sweet… :smiley: ask a few of the other drivers…a small bar is not hard to find, and ask as many questions as you can…but not on T/N…you wont get a straight answer…knowing your reputation…ha ha

Rjan:

jakethesnake:

In the 80s yes. Nowadays, not so much.

One of the main things to bear in mind is that competition is fierce, both because the wages remain modestly higher, and (I think mainly) because it still lives off its reputation as a good job decades ago.

But you shouldn’t imagine they’re paying you that wage gratuitously as a mark of their respect for your excellence, nor that all-powerful unions and a solid workforce are still able to extract a very fair share.

The wages only remain high to retain trained and experienced drivers in the face of adverse conditions.

Fair enough Rjan kinda lost touch in the last few years although I do know a guy that works for Hoyer out of Grangemouth and he is more than happy with the job.

I used to work out of kingsbury and it was hard to get on the tanks in the early 90’s.
not so now, continual ads for driver’s, even agencies being used now. that would not be heard of in the day. still decent pay but the shift systems are horrendous.