New job on tankers

jakethesnake:

Rjan:

jakethesnake:
Petrol tankers in the 80’s was way better than any other type of work and that’s a fact.
Far better pay and conditions and worked with some of the most decent drivers ever.
Those that say they don’t fancy it (even now) have probably never had an offer.
TBH though don’t fancy your type UK.

In the 80s yes. Nowadays, not so much.

One of the main things to bear in mind is that competition is fierce, both because the wages remain modestly higher, and (I think mainly) because it still lives off its reputation as a good job decades ago.

But you shouldn’t imagine they’re paying you that wage gratuitously as a mark of their respect for your excellence, nor that all-powerful unions and a solid workforce are still able to extract a very fair share.

The wages only remain high to retain trained and experienced drivers in the face of adverse conditions.

Fair enough Rjan kinda lost touch in the last few years although I do know a guy that works for Hoyer out of Grangemouth and he is more than happy with the job.

There’s plenty of fellas happy enough but shift work is one thing that takes its toll. In my experience there are two kinds of petrol drivers, disgruntled ex-drivers (or off-on drivers) who have their various complaints, and current drivers who express happiness but in a manner of resignation rather than dancing and shooting their pistols in the air. I think the opinion of most is that overall you are earning your money.

I’ve just finished my second week on milk tankers , I’m really enjoying it . It’s farm collections at the moment so a bit of work with hoses etc but easy enough when you get your head round the paperwork and keypad controls etc . :stuck_out_tongue:

IMG_0554.JPG

switchlogic:
Hurray, more nonsense :unamused:

This should be interesting, even if you carry it, you cannot use bull effluent to explain yourself

Yeah Rjan can’t speak for others but I am a happy retired ex tanker driver.
Agree about shift work though but I just did days back then. Job and finish.
Did shift work on another job and although well paid took its toll as you say.
4 DAYS, 4 OFF, 4 NIGHTS, 4 off etc. YUK.

switchlogic:
As someone who has actually recently started a job on tankers I must point out that it’s far and away the easiest job I’ve ever had, way easier the fridge work and almost nowhere will let you leave the ground let alone go on top of a tanker!

You didn’t do what I did then. Was doing condensed and skimmed milk deliveries to food factories. You were up and down the steps like a good un. Turn up, pop lids, get sample, close lids, get sample cleared, up top, crack lids to vent. Tip load, up top, close lids. And because they were older trailers there wasn’t a walkway up top, just a set of steps for each section. Thankfully most were only 2 section tanks.

switchlogic:
As someone who has actually recently started a job on tankers I must point out that it’s far and away the easiest job I’ve ever had, way easier the fridge work and almost nowhere will let you leave the ground let alone go on top of a tanker!

You didn’t do what I did then. Was doing condensed and skimmed milk deliveries to food factories. You were up and down the steps like a good un. Turn up, pop lids, get sample, close lids, get sample cleared, up top, crack lids to vent. Tip load, up top, close lids. And because they were older trailers there wasn’t a walkway up top, just a set of steps for each section. Thankfully most were only 2 section tanks.

Tankers are fine until you get a holiday maker park where they like.

UKtramp:
well had my first day today doing what I have always fancied, when I say fancied, I really didn’t realise just how much work was involved. The hoses are big heavy and the couplings are pretty much a nightmare if you don’t have half a scaffold bar to lever the clamps together. Although enjoyable and more interesting than general haulage it is certainly not an easy option as I first suspected, but then I suppose that all depends on your load. I am transporting effluent food waste so quite messy.

Jakethesnake…

Hello UK tramp

Did a few years on tankers myself back in the 80’s. Was a great job then and still is today compared to most.
Hard to get into unless you are top notch.

Ffs, pathetic.

ABBFABC4-64C2-4F7F-81AF-B7C9897E1EA2.jpeg

Conor:

switchlogic:

That must have been a while ago. Like I say most places won’t let you up top and most tankers now have sample taps and air opperated valves on the vents

Yep back in the day it was all top loading. Now its all bottom loading but you can still go on top but safety safety safety. Fuel tankers anyway.

jakethesnake:
Yep back in the day it was all top loading. Now its all bottom loading but you can still go on top but safety safety safety. Fuel tankers anyway.

Sewage tankers have always been bottom (un)loading.

Sidevalve:

jakethesnake:

Sewage tankers have always been bottom (un)loading.

That kinda makes sense… Lol… :laughing:

switchlogic:
The most difficult bit of my job is getting out the cab to hand paperwork in and getting back in to relax while it tips. Very occasionally I might have to attach a hose but that’s ■■■■ easy too.

Then try connecting my hoses. Yours must be special ones, as most drivers at our place struggle with them.

I shall read this with interest , what with brexit fiasco & wife’s patience running short of me spending days down pub , I’m looking for a few days a week driving , one that’s caught my eye is a job doing milk tankers , 8 hrs a day , 4/4 on / off , but as there always advertising hopefully theyl consider a couple of days , from what I read you just drive to farm & back , I’m unsure about farms as was chased by cows when a kid and had to wait a hour / two until they dispersed to get my bike back .
Looking forward to learning a bit about job uk , ta

dozy:
I shall read this with interest , what with brexit fiasco & wife’s patience running short of me spending days down pub , I’m looking for a few days a week driving , one that’s caught my eye is a job doing milk tankers , 8 hrs a day , 4/4 on / off , but as there always advertising hopefully theyl consider a couple of days , from what I read you just drive to farm & back , I’m unsure about farms as was chased by cows when a kid and had to wait a hour / two until they dispersed to get my bike back .
Looking forward to learning a bit about job uk , ta

There’s a few threads on here about milk tankers. Never done it myself but since I do farm deliveries I see a lot of the lads who are on it. Biggest issue is working weekends and bank holidays till you get established; the job itself is a doddle.

Sidevalve:
There’s a few threads on here about milk tankers. Never done it myself but since I do farm deliveries I see a lot of the lads who are on it. Biggest issue is working weekends and bank holidays till you get established; the job itself is a doddle.

Exempt from EC Rules and cows need milking on Christmas day too.

Dozy, please for love of god… don’t do milk tankers.

I’ve been driving tankers for nearly two years now 4on4off and love it.
mostly liquid animal feed to/from Mills and farm deliveries also like tomorrow I usually pop over to Ireland at least once a shift with buttermilk or whey, free meal and a kip on the ferry.
Jobs text to me and left alone to get on with it.
What’s not to like.

Drift:
mostly liquid animal feed to/from Mills and farm deliveries also like tomorrow I usually pop over to Ireland at least once a shift with buttermilk or whey, free meal and a kip on the ferry.
What’s not to like.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i thought you said iceland there mate…
that would have nade four of is that havent been there this week… :smiley: :smiley:

dieseldog999:

Drift:
What’s not to like.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i thought you said iceland there mate…
that would have nade four of is that havent been there this week… :smiley: :smiley:

I had to reread it :laughing: :laughing: