New job and WORRIED

I have just got off the phone from a company and they have offered me a job on the continent, however its been a while.

I think im going to be frequenting this bit of the msg boards to nerd up on what i have forgot.

Firstly i have never crossed Dover Calais, only ever crossed to caen santandear bilbao and zebrugge. So any advice on procedure when i get there would be grateful. Also on places to buy a vignette bla bla bla

I may (ive been told) be transiting through swiss as i assume you cannot use the tunnel with ADR, again i dont know the procedure about this i.e. paper work.

Im fine with running to spain as ive done that before a few times on my way to tangiers.

Going to also be running into Stuttgart which ive never done before so should be fun whats the best way there is it through luxemburg?

ive loads of catch up questions which ill think of soon no doubt but a helping hand in getting me back onto the euro roads would be welcomed with open arms.

They told me it was mostly groupage out of Bradford but for the life of me i dont know any firms up that way i dont think frans mass is there so a head up on who it might be would be nice?

Thanks guys

Phil

Phil take a look at the posts here on tips for Germany, as for Transiting SWISS
be prepared for a queue at the D–CH border also at the F–CH border due to the Tunnel being closed until the end of June (?):ON the posts mentioned above are sites for the EURO-VINGETTE & German–MAUT; YOU should be able to get the vingette at ASHFORD if not try checking by Norfolk line in Dover,If you are running to STUTGART as your first drop then maybe going via
LUX will be worthwile as you can fill your tanks up if not it,s still worth going that way and then over Dudenlange through France and DOWN to Basel (BAEL) and into SWISS, what about useing the train they take trailers up to
4.00m and you can load more ,also it gives you a clean disk,they leave from Freiburg (D)–Novera(I),youwill need a sleeping bag, for the cabin,
The A5 from Karlsruhe down to the SWISS border is well used and the police are strict about the rules on this road,for your route take a look at the via-micherlien :YOU will get more tips over the next few days from more members so read all digest and ask away if you still need more tips,

Dover, easy peasy, just drive in and stay in the left hand lane. It’s all signposted though. There is a weighbridge you have to go over, then get into the correct lane for your shipping company (P&O, Sea France, Norfolk Line) and they will allocate you a lane at the booth- you don’t even get out of the cab.

When you leave Calais, come off at the first exit and go to the Elf garage for your vignette, or you can get it at Transmarck which is a couple of exits further on, all signposted.

Prob best to transit Lux for the cheap diesel.

More questions, fire away.

I assume im on his set route so i dont think ill have much say in it. seemed odd to be transit swiss and not running down east france to me :question:

Me too. Current thinking is that Switzerland isn’t worth the aggro as transit costs are now very high. Last time I went (about March IIRC) I went Frejus.

They told me it was mostly groupage out of Bradford but for the life of me i dont know any firms up that way i dont think frans mass is there so a head up on who it might be would be nice?

Anglo Overseas has a depot in Bradford, so does Gondrand

it could be hauser - i think they have depot in bradford.
some companies still transit swiss so they can fuel in lux on way through and it still works out a little cheaper than france and a tunnel but it won’t be with haz - the swiss are very funny (not comical) about haz goods, they require all sorts of stuff to be carried and they set there own rules non eu.
stuttgart is best via lux, to perl border, down by saar louis - pirmasens - landau - bruchsal - bretten but be warned - stuttgart now has a lorry ban through the centre, it’s no longer allowed to travel from one side to the other unless you have a delivery within the area.
don’t forget the german maut system - you have to plan your route and buy a ticket in advance of travel for the time you intend to travel and the roads you intend to use.

pugwash:

Anglo Overseas has a depot in Bradford, so does Gondrand

so do bradtrans, goss, and surefreight.
it will proberley be chemicals from ah marks or ciba or wool from one of the textiles places for which there are a few.

Well ive handed my notice in to fieldings so will call the new firm and get more info from them and let you know what the score is.

Ill be working for a company called Karl Saderson from Bolton if anyone has heard of them.

Phil

Spacemonkeypg:
…Ill be working for a company called Karl Saderson from Bolton if anyone has heard of them.Phil

Hope you like bright colours phil…if its the company im thinking of,he has a somewhat “unusual” colour scheme…not one to look at with a hangover!! :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck,

bullitt

yep that’s the one :blush:

hope its not just the boys that :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Spacemonkeypg:
I have just got off the phone from a company and they have offered me a job on the continent, however its been a while.

I think im going to be frequenting this bit of the msg boards to nerd up on what i have forgot.

Firstly i have never crossed Dover Calais, only ever crossed to caen santandear bilbao and zebrugge. So any advice on procedure when i get there would be grateful. Also on places to buy a vignette bla bla bla

I may (ive been told) be transiting through swiss as i assume you cannot use the tunnel with ADR, again i dont know the procedure about this i.e. paper work.

Im fine with running to spain as ive done that before a few times on my way to tangiers.

Going to also be running into Stuttgart which ive never done before so should be fun whats the best way there is it through luxemburg?

ive loads of catch up questions which ill think of soon no doubt but a helping hand in getting me back onto the euro roads would be welcomed with open arms.

Thanks guys

Phil

Spacemonkey do the firm want anymore drivers I am based in West Yorkshire only done one international trip Holland Germany CHEQ rep hungary slovakia romania.

Loved it and looking for more :laughing:

I can ask and let you know but to be honest it took me two years to get back on the international work so dont keep your fingers crossed

This job advertised on the Jobcenter web site involves some continental work, dont know anything about the firm except see plenty of them about.

Job Title HGV DRIVER HBB/16425

LocationNATIONWIDE
Hours50 HOURS PER WEEK MONDAY TO FRIDAY BETWEEN 6AM AND 10PM
Wage £6.18 PER HOUR
Work PatternDays , Evenings , Nights , Weekends
EmployerVOS Logistics
PensionNo details held

DurationPERMANENT ONLY

Description
Must have Class 1 C + E, will involve general haulage around the United Kingdom and occasional continental work. Night out subsistence will be paid and running expenses. Overtime available at weekends and evenings. This vacancy is covered by the Working Time Directive. To order a leaflet called “Your Guide to the Working Time Regulations” customers are advised to contact the DTI publications order line on 0870 1502 500. Please note that this help line can only give general advice on the Working Times Directive and further details of the vacancy cannot be obtained through this route.

How to apply
You can apply for this job by telephoning 01835 864922 and asking for Colin Mercer.

that wage is a joke , and they would not get any one in HOLLAND for that money,and hours,

I agree Brit Pete, the wage is a joke, but up here in the North East there are firms paying less than that for C+E. Just posted it in case Coder0 was interested, sometimes you have to accept this sort of job to get the experience.

Regards
Westie

just a thought…

are there drivers lounges on the dover calais crossing with grub in?

On the long boats we got free grub and our own little room

yes but you have to pay for the food ,the drivers have a seperate area well away from the rest,

My brother in law used to work for them up until a few months ago. The only time he went over the water was to get the truck serviced or m.o.t’d and then it was only Holland but may have gone into germany if his truck needed repairs then he had to get all his gear out for 1 night and take the spare truck. He was normally out 4-5 nights in the UK

Paul

Moved my gear in to the truck today.

Off to Italy tomorrow morning 4 drops :exclamation: :exclamation: , never been before so it will be fun. They have someone running with me to italy at least so should be ok.

Truck is a bit tatty so will have a good srub and clean down first moment i get.

Bit worried about making a ■■■■ of myself but should be ok…

My first every job abroad was to Romania and i was all on my tod and manged so im sure ill manage this with a guy holding my hand some of the way :slight_smile:

I will be postin a dairy on when i get back and some pictures to keep you all informed. Will have to start to find new places to park up as the ones i used before are no doubt gone or no where near where im going to be.

So wish me luck and ill post the dairy on a new thread when i get back