new idea

hi guys not eally posted on here much, but ive had an idea on a buisness plan that involves lorries but without the hazzle of haulage,as im olny 21 ive gt no chance of starting out alone.
Now ive done a little bit of research on this and so far ie foun only one company who does it in london using and amerian rig.
Now there are millions of truck drivers in this country who are passionate about trucks just like me, except i cant drive one yet,
Now my idea was to hae=ve a wedding lorry instead of a weddng car now i no u can get taken to yur funneral on the pack of a lorry, so why not get taken to your big day in a top spec truck, now i no this would cost a fortune to set up but if people were really interested i think it would be worth doing, your views on this would be of great help thanks for reading.

sorry if this is in th wrong area please feel free to move it thanks

It’s not a new idea I’m afraid.

risherwoodandsonssupertrucks … index.html

Its not a new idea a fella does this he is based in ayrshire, thats the only one i know of personally. Could be a market you never know.

With any business idea, you have got to do a reaonable amount of research.

1.How much demand is there for this service?
2. How much can you charge for it?
3. What will your overheads be, insurance (passenger carrying), op licence, truck lease, fuel, phone lines, advertising, premises, cleaning, wages & profit.

This sort of thing would be more likely to work with an older blinged up yank truck, rather than a spanking top of the range euro truck, it would be all about image rather than truck spec.

Good luck

Allow me to make a suggestion, get someone else to write out your publicity material, someone who can spell would be a good starting point :bulb:

Now I know that we’re not supposed to correct spelling and grammar,but if you’re thinking about going into business, a simple grasp of basic English is a bit of a KPI, although in the current times I’m afraid it isn’t :open_mouth:

Now, my pedantic rant over, yes it’s a good idea, but you’re going to need a hell of a chunk of change to but an American truck, an 05 Peterbilt 379 will set you back around $50k, then you have to get it shipped over, then pay import duties, then have somewhere to store it, you’ll have to insure it, maintain it, put diesel in it, parts will be hard to find and expensive as none of the engines fitted in them are available in Europe. All said and done you’re looking at at investment of over 50 grand Sterling, you’re going to need an awful lot of weddings and funerals to get a return on that investment, there are people that do this kind of thing, but first and foremost they own a big yank as their hobby, the weddings and funerals are done just to make the financial impact a bit less severe :wink:

I think it’s quite a competative market, what with Cars and Carriages and I would have thought a truck would only appeal to a minority and then of course it’s getting an American Rig to some of the venues.

However I can think of somebody who’s offer to drive it for you and probably for free especially if the bride lived in the UK and wanted to be delivered to a church in the US. :laughing:

thanks for your comments guys like i said i new of one comapany that already did it.
I know that the cost would be a fair amount but it dont have to stop at weddings the list goes on, also i can see he appeal of an american rig but whats wrong with something different somthing from europe

If you promote it properly you could find a lot of work, weddings and funerals are small fry, you’ll be better going for corporate stuff, things like the Coca Cola tour, but that’s been done, so you’ll have to find your own niche, I could come up with a few ideas, but then I’d want a Directorship and you don’t want a moaning old git like me on the firm, trust me :laughing: Mind you, I do have Peterbilt experience :laughing:

A European truck would be no good, it doesn’t have the marketing appeal of a big yank, people see Volvos and Scanias all day long, they hate them, not exactly going to have the wow factor :bulb:

thanks i see your point about theyank thing it would make sense see being only 20 with only a little bit of transport knowlegde i new i would never get anywere trying to start my own haulage firm so im just looking at what else could be done with truck as this has bin my passion since a young age
(sorry about the spellings :frowning: )

orionadam1:
thanks i see your point about theyank thing it would make sense see being only 20 with only a little bit of transport knowlegde i new i would never get anywere trying to start my own haulage firm so im just looking at what else could be done with truck as this has bin my passion since a young age
(sorry about the spellings :frowning: )

Look, wanting to start your own business is commendable, but why not start out in plain old fashioned haulage? So you’re only 20, well find some work and save up and buy a Transit, start at the bottom and work your way up, you’ll gain valuable experience on the way up the ladder :wink:

Im working at the min and have sat down and thought long and hard about going it alone, if i were to go it alone it would be flat bed transit as i can rope and sheet plus i think they are far more vertsail than a normal van, thanks for the advice it will be taken on board

Flat bed is ok, as long as you can find work, the key is versatility, you can find a lot more to stick in the back of a van, parcels and that sort of thing and you can have a bit of fun with a 20yr old bird in the back of a Transit van, I doubt you’d be so lucky with a flat bed :laughing:

now you have a point lol, will be lookin into this in the new year see what comes about.

orionadam1:
‘…so why not get taken to your big day in a top spec truck…?’

I’m sure that the fragrant half of any happy couple would relish climbing at least five feet vertically with manicured & painted nails, in a new a new frock & shoes, carrying a few quid’s worth of posy, staying hot for the video footage, avoiding flashing her newly Brazilianed monkey’s face & next week’s laundry with a posse of lisping five year old girls unable to follow her in tow :wink:

Together with any willing partner you eventually find (?) perhaps consider ‘Grooms, be sorry for life - get a lorry for wife’ within the advertising spiel at Wedding Fairs :neutral_face:

Sorry; ignore me: Go for it :smiley:

Not sure about construction and use regs, but what about a blinged up skip wagon with instead of a skip, have a passenger-carrying module fabricated, and winch the partygoers up? You could do a similar thing but for funerals and recreate the type of floor as fitted in hearses :bulb:
Or…
If a yank motor’s too much hassle, a restored British (ish) motor? Must be something in good condition around, a late model Leyland Roadtrain or ERF Olympic?

hahah i see point and i have thought about that, i can get some alloy steps made that clip on the truck steps and can be clipped onto the back of the truck when not in use, so the bride climbs into the cab as elegant as possble

orionadam1:
‘… i can get some alloy steps made that clip on the truck steps and can be clipped onto the back of the truck when not in use, so the bride climbs into the cab as elegant as possble…’

With the groom on the bunk, on her lap - or does he gallantly shove her over to cosy up to the wheel-monkey and let her enjoy having the throb of a diesel donk between her virginal thighs?

Hey, you could perhaps offer her some complementary organic ‘cider’ cocktail from the dubious receptacle in the passenger footwell in lieu of the usual champer’s too, eh!

There’s more than weddings as has been said, heres a few thoughts…

Weddings…not for the bride because she wouldn’t want to be flashing the thighs to all and sundry. But the groom has to be gotten to the church as well.

Prom nights…its a big thing to be seen going to the prom in something unusual.

Advertising…There was one parked on the M62(IIRC) near Liverpool recently advertising something
(I may have the location completely wrong someone will correct me :blush: )

Corporate events…big firms will use something like this to promote certain events or products.

TV and film…either in the movies or as in the X factor used as blinged up transport. there are a couple of firms that speciallise in supply of any type of vehicle for films etc,many on their books are not owned by themselves, but just leased from the owner as needed.

why stop at one truck, why not look for other unusual vehicles (someone around MK hires out a stretched armoured personnel carrier blinged out like a limo)
What about a milkfloat, fire engine, any old truck or bus, any classic car or motorbike and sidecar.
Contact other owners to join you on an adhoc basis you charge the client, take a nice cut and pay the owner accordingly
Done right and started small you could have a very nice little business in a few years time

Great idea now go and flog it to the divvy’s on Dragons Den,they like losing money on lorry ideas.