New Family Car, Suggestions?

Looking to buy new or nearly new depending on model, price etc. We’ve got a 59 reg Fiesta which will become my works car, getting rid of my 08 reg 207 as I’m fed up with it’s high oil usage (only done 39k miles). I’m not badge loyal but wife likes Fords so a Focus is her number one choice.
I’m swayed on price not residuals so I’m thinking of Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki, Dacia etc even impressed by the new Chinese MGs (hated Rovers by the way).
Just like my views on blinged trucks I don’t care for flashy tat on my cars either so I’m not concerned if new car doesn’t have rain sensing wipers (I can turn them on thankyou), alloy wheels and parking sensors (yes my Mrs can park :laughing: )

An idea on budget may prompt some suggestions.

Its not everyones cup of tea but the best family car i have ever driven is a Nissan Qashquia (sp?)

Dav1d:
An idea on budget may prompt some suggestions.

Around £10-12k, doesn’t have to be brand new. I’ve read up on the MG3, that’s out as the engine sounds crap, judging by reviews and the fact its’ fuel figures are about 5mpg less than a Fiesta. We’ll most likely go for another Fiesta or a Focus but secondhand nearly new.
I’ve run Peugeot 106, 206 and currently a 207 (that was parents old car who then bought a Kia) but apart from the 208 (overpriced compared to Kias) Peugeots are crappy things.

Why not lease something?

chaversdad:
Its not everyones cup of tea but the best family car i have ever driven is a Nissan Qashquia (sp?)

funnily enough ive just had a drive in my mates , 1.5 t diesel and I was very impressed :slight_smile: apparently very good on fuel too .

PaulNowak:
Why not lease something?

I like to buy them outright, the only finance I’ve had was 0% and that was because of the trade in price I was offered.

FIAT MULTIPLA all the way :open_mouth:

10-12k will get you quite a range, including a lot of 208’s and Kias. (208’s, not really a family car though.)
For a few £ more, you could get a nearly new Vauxhall Astra GTC, 1.4 16v Turbo, for a little bit of fun now and then.
Or, from the Dacia stable, a Logan estate with the same 1.5dci engine as used in the Nissans.
(Engine is a joint effort between Renault and Nissan.)
The estate would be more suited to family stuff, but you could just get a Focus estate for the OH, and a fun car for yourself !
13k would net you a nearly new Fiesta ST, instead of the Astra.

I would suggest something from the Seat stable.They turn out some sporty stuff with V.W. reliability.

When you say family car… You Mrs and??

The chap opposite was a one flag car for years then went Skoda loves it his Mrs then went for some strange make can’t even remember what it’s called and she loves that 2 happy people with 2 happy cars

nick2008:
When you say family car… You Mrs and?

4 year old son and 4 month old daughter.
Not into cars so sporty stuff don’t interest me.

My Mrs got me a Nissan juke 1.5 dci as a works car ,very easy too drive ( Mrs ,daughter use it all the time ) ,high up driving position ,very easy too get in and out of ,enough room for me ,mrs ,daughter ( 24 ) and mates ,they do say boot is small but not really used it much so not sure on that one ,tax is £20 and after 5,000 miles it’s showing 53.6 mpg ,and it does go alright ,overtakes no problem ,cruise 80/90 mph all day .
Negatives are looks ( maybe colour I’ve got ,flame red ) ,just don’t likevthe looks ,and I’m a bit unsure about build quality ,j fell off badge first day ,apx 5 months too get a new one ,key fell apart ,month for a new one ,but it maybe it’s the fact I had primers gt,s and just never went wrong .
N.b this was brought also as family car ,but whenever we go anywhere I always take my girls mountuned fiesta St ,just puts a smile on my face and makes me feel 20 again :smiley: :smiley: ,juke just doesn’t domthe same, chopping juke in Ford Focus St when redundancy cheque arrives :smiley:

Honda Jazz (or Civic)?

Bought a clean low mileage (34k) 2006 Honda Jazz last year to use as a family car (Me + Mrs + 4yr old + 2.5 year old). Done 20k miles in the last 12 months. 45mpg ave. Aside from servicing, bought a set of tyres and a battery for it (battery that failed was original). Mrs doesn’t do “big” cars, nor do I. When I need extra space once a year, stick the roofbox on. No prams to worry about now so don’t bother. Trips to the tip or collect something big, leave the family at home and fold the “magic seats” down. I don’t get why folk feel the need to do the school run in big Nigel Quashies. :smiley:

Previous “family” car was a 106 which with 3 doors and a small boot wasn’t going to cut it when no 2 came along. That was okay, but at 9 years old stuck it’s hand out for a clutch, exhaust and tyres one month after the other. Better than some French cars I’ve come across in fairness.

Chose a Honda for their real reliability which is better than the myth of German reliability. Didn’t want to spend any time chucking spanners at the family car when I could be chucking spanners at my other old cars. Yes, they’re popular with old gits, and boring, but they start every morning.

Honda Accord better and slightly more kudos than a Jazz! Bit pricey though…

Volvo V50. Nice comfy estate, lots of room & lots of airbags etc. to keep the family safe should some twonk decide to use you as target practice. Roughly same size as a Focus. Good Diesel engine.

VW Passatt tdi 140 hp, a good sensible reliable car should get a 12 plate for that.

Is that the 2.0 litre engine, with the oil pump problems ?

Goldilox:
Honda Accord better and slightly more kudos than a Jazz! Bit pricey though…

I’ve had one of these spin in front of me and crumple the back seats up flat aginst the front. Any kid sitting there would’ve been dead. Wouldn’t stick my family in one of 5hem and I quite liked them before seeing that.

MG ZT, or the ZT-T :wink:
Get the 2.5 V6 one :wink: