New EU Rules Coming?

Cabotage changes. (no back to back cabotage)
Confirmation no weekends away taken in cab.
Every truck must return to base at least every 8 weeks. (No BG reg British operators?)
Tachos for vans. (2.5 ton and over).
All on the cards (about time too) to protect domestic haulier in the EU from undercutters.
trans.info/en/mobility-package- … sks-188160

Too little, too late. The scourge of East European Slav[e] labour, is a Genie that isn’t going back into its bottle, any time soon.

I’ve not actually clicked on the link but even before that the cynic in me reasons that you can come up with as many rules as you like but if there’s no enforcement and no will to enforce then it’s just a paper exercise.

the maoster:
I’ve not actually clicked on the link but even before that the cynic in me reasons that you can come up with as many rules as you like but if there’s no enforcement and no will to enforce then it’s just a paper exercise.

+1

alte hase:
Too little, too late. The scourge of East European Slav[e] labour, is a Genie that isn’t going back into its bottle, any time soon.

+1

The Express has said Johnson is saying he wants to renegotiate the ‘oven ready’ deal, as its unfair to the UK. Not that the press can be believed…

the maoster:

They do have some interesting articles, but I am not quite up for saving a bookmark on my browser for a trans.info website.

As Moaster says, just a lip service to the Transport industry, worthless without enforcement,

Franglais:
All on the cards (about time too) to protect domestic haulier in the EU from undercutters.

It ain’t just foreign outfits that under cut mate. :unamused: …it’s always been the name of the game in this sh industry, that is why our wages are mostly ■■■■ poor.
I can think of one UK haulier who has gained international fame, mostly achieved by cutting good and sensible rates to ribbons, and putting many owner drivers out of business as their speciality :bulb: …especially in his county of origin when he started to expand.
So what’s the difference exactly?

Franglais:
Every truck must return to base at least every 8 weeks. (No BG reg British operators?)

Has this already been passed Franglais? last I read a couple of months ago was that the EE block was going to fight this as they claim it will decimate their economies. Expect to see a lot of horse trading when the EU parliament reconvenes and it quietly pushed into the long grass

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Has this already been passed Franglais? last I read a couple of months ago was that the EE block was going to fight this as they claim it will decimate their economies. Expect to see a lot of horse trading when the EU parliament reconvenes and it quietly pushed into the long grass

As I read it:
These changes have now all passed committee stages, by a reasonable majority.
Next is vote in EU Parliament in July.
Majority vote needed, not unanimity.
Worth looking for other sources to check on this of course.

I was this morning talking to a mate about this, specifically the van tacho part as he has a few vans on for Red Bull doing the F1 work for the European rounds, he too says it’s been kicked into touch a few times but he’s worried about the potential impact on his business if it goes through. He gave the example of Budapest in that he’ll not be able to load up and get there or back in one hit double manned in the 21 hour window, so the teams may as well use lorries and do it more efficiently that way.

French will push for this, EE will oppose.

We can’t do anything now we are out of the EU

Our government will probably opt out of it anyway when they negotiate the eventual trade deal, so that they can help trade more efficiently ie cheaper

chrisdalott:
Our government will probably opt out of it anyway when they negotiate the eventual trade deal, so that they can help trade more efficiently ie cheaper

We don’t need to opt out of it, we’re not in the EU so our Parliament can decide to do whatever they want.

Conor:

chrisdalott:

We don’t need to opt out of it, we’re not in the EU so our Parliament can decide to do whatever they want.

No they can’t.

the nodding donkey:

Conor:

No they can’t.

From December 31st they absolutely can.

Conor:

the nodding donkey:

Conor:

No they can’t.

I suppose that technically they could, but then foreigners could carry on here, whilst our last international hauliers will be finished.

Conor:

the nodding donkey:

Conor:

No they can’t.

That’s a definite “maybe”.
All depends on what future trading agreement (or none) is signed.
In the real world, we will continue to trade, with the EU, and although our rules may diverge, sticking two fingers up to our biggest food suppliers, and biggest customers is not going to be helpful.

Conor:

the nodding donkey:

Conor:

No they can’t.

Except it would be in the interest of the UK domestic market to implement those new rules regardless of our relationship with the EU.

Mazzer2:

Conor:

the nodding donkey:

Conor:

No they can’t.

Except it would be in the interest of the UK domestic market to implement those new rules regardless of our relationship with the EU.

Ahh !
Now we have it.
I agree with you that it would be beneficial to UK drivers and transport companies generally to go along with these rules, however a Government may prefer to have cheaper transport, (wherever it comes from) and drive down wages in a “more competitive Britain”?
Cheaper food, products, cheaper “more flexible labour” (more insecure) is the future I’m afraid.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Ahh !
Now we have it.
I agree with you that it would be beneficial to UK drivers and transport companies generally to go along with these rules, however a Government may prefer to have cheaper transport, (wherever it comes from) and drive down wages in a “more competitive Britain”?
Cheaper food, products, cheaper “more flexible labour” (more insecure) is the future I’m afraid.

In that aspect the UK is no different to the EU hence the mini Bulgaria in Zeebrugge probably over several hundred BG and RO trucks pulling for Lidl out of there permanently based there avoiding cabotage by going into the surrounding countries, or the hundreds of Hegelmann lorries running through France on domestic work. The EU is no less capitalist than the UK when it comes to appeasing big business the vast majority of big names in Europe use BG and RO for their work and when new countries enter they will be used and the BG and RO firms will be dropped for them in the same way the Poles were dropped for the BG and RO companies

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Ahh !
Now we have it.

In that aspect the UK is no different to the EU hence the mini Bulgaria in Zeebrugge probably over several hundred BG and RO trucks pulling for Lidl out of there permanently based there avoiding cabotage by going into the surrounding countries, or the hundreds of Hegelmann lorries running through France on domestic work. The EU is no less capitalist than the UK when it comes to appeasing big business the vast majority of big names in Europe use BG and RO for their work and when new countries enter they will be used and the BG and RO firms will be dropped for them in the same way the Poles were dropped for the BG and RO companies

The EU is alike the UK in many ways, but to describe it as being “equally capitalist”?
I’m not so sure.
We are after all discussing proposed measures to help established driver’s jobs.
Can you see the present, or indeed any recent UK Govs doing the same?
Seems to me that ever since Thatcher, industry and long term investments have been shunned in favour of short term-ism and chasing a quick buck.
Maybe most of the free world is more capitalist than it was decades ago, but I think the UK is going further and faster along that road than many of our EU neighbours. Look at Prof Minford one of the few economists who favours Brexit: he thinks the UK will be better off out. He also thinks industry and farming will be lost, but Hey-ho! The city will thrive!
A richer country, but not for the benefit of all of it’s citizens.