New driver

Hi all.

Im leaving the army in february and want to get into driving.

I have my c and c+e licence and i know i need to do 35hours cpc.

Can anyone recommend where i can get this done and prices etc?

Also any advise would be great.

Thanks!

just have a google of dcpc in … fella! :wink: going to be paying around £50 a session

I’d go to HGV training companies, they often do decent deals or will at least be able to point you in the right direction. Whilst your at it, a morning with one of their instructors doing a refresher (mainly reversing an artic) might be useful should you have the money to spare.

I gained my HGV licence as a resettlement course after leaving the forces. See if the Army will give you an ADR course, which will count as 21 hours for a DCPC, and an ADR is good to have.

Pufc730:

I assume from that you either have (1) a pre 1997 car licence. (2) passed C before 09/09/2009 or (3) did the initial DCPC?

I passed my B test 2007 and my C and C+E in 2012

have sent you a pm.

Pufc730:
I passed my B test 2007 and my C and C+E in 2012

In that case you MUST pass initial LGV DCPC modules 2 and 4 before you can drive a LGV commercially in civvy street

Passing those will get you a DQC valid for 5 years and during those 5 years you need 35 hours periodic to cover you for a further 5 years - no matter when you complete the 35 hours after passing mod 4 the DQC will get the extra 5 years added to it so giving you a 10 year expiry date from when you passed mod 4

Periodic hours will not count if you do them before passing mods 2 and 4 so its a waste of time doing any

a location would be handy

Grantham, lincolnshire.

Thanks

hitch:
a location would be handy

Was thinking that as my crystal balls have broke

Pufc730:
Grantham, lincolnshire.

Thanks

These are less than 30 mins from you = ian-markwick.co.uk/index.php and they do initial driver cpc

Would have thought you could get your resettlement grant to pay for the initial DCPC?

Have to do at least 6 years for resettlement and it has to be for the armys good to get mo ey…

Times have changed, alot of people getting out now.

Ok

FWIW, I was in an agency office today and overheard the staff talking - “he’s just come out the army and he has C+E, but no CPC and no commercial experience” they put him in as a porter. So it might be that you won’t go straight into driving C+E, even when you do get the DCPC.
(Of course - once Christmas gets a bit nearer, they wont be so fussy)
Good Luck, btw
Are you actually out? I heard a rumour that you could do DCPC at Imphal Barracks (AEC) in York using Learning Credits, or summat?

PS (you aren’t 5 Training Regt, are you?)

Ill take anything to start of with as im expecting to with no experiance and that.

I cant use learning credits as its not a course that will be useful to the army.

I leave in 3 months and as ive done 4 years so i dont get resettlement or any leave to do courses so its all on my own back over weekends to do things… The fact im in Germany makes life so much more difficult…

Thats the army now for you… Just a number!

Im at 3bn REME in paderborn.

I’m out the army at the beginning of next month. I’ve done module 2 and have module 4 to do next week. It’s cost £300 to do but its all come out of my resettlement money.

I’m looking at starting driving through agencies to get the experience that everyone is after but from what I’ve read on the net sounds like it’s going to be a bit of a pain in the arse but I’m sure it can’t be much worse than some of the ■■■■ I put up with now.

ROG:

Pufc730:

I assume from that you either have (1) a pre 1997 car licence. (2) passed C before 09/09/2009 or (3) did the initial DCPC?

(4) It is a wind up :bulb:

I left the army a couple of years ago and did my dcpc and cpc through resettlement. You need to look into it more as once you have signed off your learning credits don’t have to be used on a course to benefit the army. You can even use them when your out. Remember most of the stuff people yell you in the army is incorrect as they actually don’t know what they are talking about so do your own digging. There’s even a website for learning credits so have a look. Got to get of your own arse now android out for number one as the army will drop you like a hot potatoe time to stand on your own two feet. By the way welcome to civvy street after 7 years service best thing I did was get out if you need any help just PM me.