New driver needs help and advice

Hi all was wondering if anyone can give me some advice tips ect ect start my new job next week and it involves alot of nights what what essentials I’ll need best truck stops ect ect many thanks

bazza0385:
Hi all was wondering if anyone can give me some advice tips ect ect start my new job next week and it involves alot of nights what what essentials I’ll need best truck stops ect ect many thanks

depends what your doing where you going how many nights out …

If you get your parking paid use the truck stops for parking, depending what you want ie food wise eating out all week can cost quite a lot.
I’ve even used motels if they have a cheap room as its nice to have a soak or proper shower etc and he use of a clean loo in the night towels etc :wink:

Thanks for that I’ll be working for d&p haulage class 2 curtain side most work goes down tolLondon ect ect I’ll be doing around 4 nights out a week mostly palletised work

Ive also just bought one of them cheap sat navs off ebay for 80 quid its not a tom tom or out like that but looks like it should do the job … I hope lol :blush:

bazza0385:
Thanks for that I’ll be working for d&p haulage class 2 curtain side most work goes down tolLondon ect ect I’ll be doing around 4 nights out a week mostly palletised work

Where are you based?

Hull

bazza0385:
Ive also just bought one of them cheap sat navs off ebay for 80 quid its not a tom tom or out like that but looks like it should do the job … I hope lol :blush:

truck sat navs ? yeah they do work, quite well in fact…

You’ll need… apart from the obvious bedding, wash kit, changes of clothes… etc… Baby Wipes… cover a multitude of uses…
Gas cooker and gas is what I use, cartridge type from places like B&M stores… £9 ish for the cooker, and £4 for 4x cans gas… or a 12/24v kettle… Brew kit and water… don’t forget the mug/cup :blush: Carry some foodstuffs in case you cant get to a cafe, truckstop etc… tins and a saucepan…Most MSA’s have a waitrose or M&S on so you won’t starve…
Map, phone charger, Headache tablets,

If you’re not paid parking, get a shower on the services before you park up…
that’s a start…

Oh and you might wanna get one of these… I has one a few years ago when we were doing a lot of building sites in the city… best thing i ever bought
thepieguide.com/shop/london- … guide.html

Good Luck

Thank you very much for your advice I’ll get myself down to b&m tomorrow lol anything I should avoid. I also want to personalise my truck a little ive got a man tgx 400 . Well I think thats what its called I know its definitely a man lol wheres the best places to get odd and sodds for it.

bazza0385:
I also want to personalise my truck a little ive got a man tgx 400 . Well I think thats what its called I know its definitely a man lol wheres the best places to get odd and sodds for it.

Just drive it and keep it clean. Don’t buy anything extra that you would not buy for your car because your car will become jealous and WILL break down :wink:

Suggest concentrating on your personal gear before worrying about bling for the truck.

bazza0385:
was wondering if anyone can give me some advice tips ect ect

Never pi$$ in the wind…!

As said above, & don’t forget your truck road map! an essential piece of equipment :smiley:

Pimpdaddy:

bazza0385:
was wondering if anyone can give me some advice tips ect ect

Never pi$$ in the wind…!

I did that once on the top of the Great Orme. My ■■■■ went up instead of down, then all over me. :frowning:

Ask your boss to sign up to SNAP.Drivers do not pay for parking.Drive in and give the security the truck registration number and your name and that is it.
The popular truckstops fill up by 18.00 so try and get their phone numbers to book a space.
The Red Lion at Northampton is a good one,good curries,big showers.
Heywood truckstop off Pilsworth Road North Manchester,very secure.Cafe open from 07.00 to 22.00.Showers and laundry mavhines.
Waltham Abbey off Junction26 M 25 North London.
Bridgwater cattle market.
The Hollies off J 12 M6.
Lincoln Farm Cafe off J 6 M42 Birmingham.
Postcode B92 0LS.
Truckstops listed in the free magazine Truckstop News.
Foam ear plugs for noisy lay bys.
Hand sterilser.
Basic medicine kit for stomach upsets and so on.
Good pair of work gloves.Not the cheap ones that last a few weeks.

Thanks for your help guys also will need to buy a converter for the power socket

Try and imagine your stuck in the middle of no where for 2 days and kit yourself out for that, as mentioned ‘wetwipes’ are essential and don’t over look the obvious like water, some emergency food like pot noodles that have a long shelf life but will fill a gap in an emergency. Also a roll of carpet can come in handy :wink:

Also consider a decent tablet / laptop and have your phone set up with a booster so you can use it as a wifi hotspot.
Check you have spare bulbs fuses and I wouldn’t start spending too much blinginging out the truck just yet, get the interior sorted first and.

bazza0385:
Thanks for your help guys also will need to buy a converter for the power socket

This post may help,
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37297

As for the power sockets you can get the 24/12v Hella double sockets on ebay around £6 :wink:

Thats spot on that thank you very much. Just need to make sure I stop at decent truck stops now

If parking in a layby,sometimes there is no choice due to tacho and Wtd/Rtd regulations.
Try and have the fuel tank facing the road.A good syphon lock or padlock on the tank but if they want your fuel,they just spike the bottom of the tank to take it.
Try and park with other trucks and not alone for safety.
If empty at night open one door or open a bit of the curtain so curtain slashers move on.
If drive over tacho time due to delays,do a printout to explain why and keep it for 28 days only.Give another printout to your boss to keep and save for longer.
Basic tool kit to change light bulbs.Spare bulbs and fuses.
Wash bag and towel.
Flip flops for showers or get Athletes foot infection.
Take cash for bridge tolls,they do take cards.You will need some ratchet straps as you never know when you will need them.

Mints and Haribo …dont tell my Mrs I munch on them :laughing: