New Driver - How to find work

Hello all,

Firstly, I have found this forum to be ace in finding information that I have needed up to now…

But, I completed my Class C, and CPC licence back in October of 2011.

I am now looking to try and find some part time evening/nights/weekends work so that I can earn some money to support my studies in college.

I am having trouble finding anyone that will take me on at 18. I am even prepared to do a few shifts voluntarily to learn the ropes and prove to someone that I can do what they want me to do.

Since I have passed, I have been managing to drive a family friends horse box for them so that I have kept up my large vehicle skills since passing but would really like to be using these skills and the money that I put into the licence to earn some money back.

Anyone have any ideas where or who I could start with?

I live in the North-West area

Thanks for any help!

Rob

So if I read this correct you passed your Cat C in 2010 & you are now 18 :question: & CPC was that the initial :question: so mod 2 & 4

It is difficult to find work no matter at what age but most insurance company like you to be 25 although there are some exceptions to this

Best thing to do is try the agency in your area they might be able to get you something but you may have to expand a little on driving the horse box with them

You may be better placed if you had your CE

I’m 18 myself mate and doing my artic in a couple of weeks time hopefully, so definitely don’t give up trying as I know exactly how you feel.

animal is right in what she says, the more categories you have on your license IE ADR HIAB CE etc then you will more than likely find a job easier, not saying you will go out and pick one up within a couple of days, who knows you might and strike lucky but it’s unlikely, all we’re saying is it will help you.

You mention you’re from the north west area, where exactly?

Hi Guys,

Error on my part, passed CPC in 2011 along with Cat C, so makes the situation even worse. The CPC is just the standard mod 1,2,3 & 4 unfortunately.

Sam I’m about 10 mins off Junc 10 M56.

I could probably just about afford to do my C+E, but it would be a real investment and I would need to make sure I could get some work really (and I doubt anyone is going to guarantee work!)

The only thing I can think of is just offering to do some shifts almost voluntarily to learn the ropes a bit, I would prefer to be doing evenings and nights/weekends as that would means I could still study at college.

Any ideas apart from just cold calling local companies?

Rob

hi folks

Im going for my class 1 next week, ive been driving class 2 for 2 years, and been told by my agency. They wont let me drive for them as a class 2 driver no experiance. so i ask the company i work for on the agency Wincanton logistics and they said the same, so i carnt help thinking what a waste off 600 quid

deanpaige:
hi folks

Im going for my class 1 next week, ive been driving class 2 for 2 years, and been told by my agency. They wont let me drive for them as a class 2 driver no experiance. so i ask the company i work for on the agency Wincanton logistics and they said the same, so i carnt help thinking what a waste off 600 quid

Do you mean they won’t give you class 1 work without experience ?

The agencies do vary - I have had my class 2 just short of a year, some agencies regularly give me class 2 work, driver hire especially. Others will only give me van work or 7.5 tonner which naturally is a much lower wage. Most of it is to do with insurance. I had one admit that I could pass my class 2, do office work for two years, and then they could get me a class 2 job, but not after driving class 2s on and off for about a year…insane really, but you move on to another agency.

Get on that phone. Keep pestering!

ye as a class 2 agency driver for two years, going for my class 1 on tuesday this week and test on thursday, but worried no work for me as class 1 driver.I even drive for wincanton logistics as class 2 driver said to them would you give me work on class 1 said no not enough experiance 2 years min

Well… after spending a good 2 hours on the phone to all the local haulage companies and some more agencies, I seem to be no further forward… :frowning:

Everyone is either asking for experience or to be 23/25!

I can only hope that the one agency that have said yes (DriverHire) turn up with something otherwise the licence at the moment just seems like a big waste of money…

Where to go from here!!?

robertsherry:
Where to go from here!!?

Hi robertsherry,

You’re actually somewhat fortunate with your location, because you have Warrington and Runcorn/Widnes on your doorstep.

I can understand your position, so it might be an idea to get an extra qualification eg: FLT, HIAB or ADR to increase your usefulness as a Cat “C” driver. In your position, the more tickets you’ve got, the better your chances.

This isn’t set in stone, and there are always exceptions, but at age 18, you’ll be very lucky to be offered C+E work, even if you have the licence.

:bulb: If funds are a bit tight, I’d think very carefully before splashing out on a C+E course at the moment.

Hi DieselDave,

I know, but still having spent the best part of the day ringing up most of the haulage companies in the Warrington and Runcorn area, no body seems to even be vaguely interested…

I even offered to take some unpaid work with the a driver to get experience and earn a good reputation with a firm, yet still most of the reply’s are negative!

I wasn’t thinking of doing my C+E, at least not until I have some C work. I completely see your point in regards to HIAB, FLT, ADR courses, but I can only think the same thing applies and I really can’t afford to just be doing courses with no real return!

I despise the UK’s insurance sector now, we have become far too like the American culture, who will claim for anything and everything which pushes everyones insurance up! They just don’t want to co-operate seemingly anymore, yet, in saying that, I am insured on our Class C1 horse box for only another £60 a year on top of what we were paying for two C1 (grand father rights) drivers.

It is my own age group that shoots themselves in the foot, they go and drive like idiots and then no one wants to take them on! It is then people like me that gets the brunt of it, I’d like to think I’m a ‘ok’ driver, I think having passed my B, B+E and C first time must be some proof of that! However there is no substitute for experience…

I have a friend in the USA who is doing what the equivalent of C+E work, at the age of 18 with relative ease, the insurance situation isn’t the same, they don’t get ripped off!

I just can’t seem to find a break in the cycle… it makes you want to give up!

No idea where to go from here, I just hope that DriverHire comes up with something :confused:

i tried knocking on local companies i was also willing to to do 7.5 t work but persistance paid off i got offerd a start collecting skips 7.5t with a chance to drive class 2 and a job driving a class 2 road sweeper, i took the sweeper job and its going well but i was willing to drive anything

DriverHire will register you mate because I’m registered with them. It was them who helped get me funding for my Class 2.

Sam,

I have just had a email back from DiverHire saying the lady is in and out this week and not very well but will be going through applications on Friday!

Just have to hope that it turns up something!

Rob

robertsherry:
It is my own age group that shoots themselves in the foot, they go and drive like idiots and then no one wants to take them on! It is then people like me that gets the brunt of it, I’d like to think I’m a ‘ok’ driver, I think having passed my B, B+E and C first time must be some proof of that! However there is no substitute for experience…

But this is not a new thing btw I had it when your age & no I didnt go flying round driving like an idiot or riding for that matter but was still penalised

Yep know what it is like to try to insure a young driver as have kids who are now 22 & 24

Firstly mate, do not believe a single word agencies tell you. The only thing you can be sure of is they are lying somewhere.

Secondly, do as you’ve been advised on here, keep pestering firms. However, I’m sorry to say that, I think your chances of finding work at the moment given your age v experience level are virtually nill. Definitely keep on the horse boxes to keep your hand in.

Not sure I’d do the C+E at the mo. I doubt at your age it would be of much use, althoughif you get it now it will definitely be of use to you in time.

Sorry to be so depressing but no sense in not being honest. Stick at it and you may well drop lucky. All the best… :smiley:

I guess we shall have to wait and see if/when anything comes up!

I despise insurance companies, almost seems they are out to stop people my age getting on the ladder! Its so frustrating and it only seems to be a problem within the UK…

Oh well :frowning:

robertsherry:
I have a friend in the USA who is doing what the equivalent of C+E work, at the age of 18 with relative ease, the insurance situation isn’t the same, they don’t get ripped off!

and here lies a possible solution, get in touch with your mate and see if you can’t get a job in the good old US of A
I dont know the in’s and out’s of it but if he could fix you up and if you got a visa …
just a thought :bulb:

Hi and welcome

Hello you say you are near junction 10 m56 I am living in sunny ellesmere port who did you do your training with ?

I and many others on here all found it difficult to find work after passing our tests whether it be class 2 or class 1 but please don’t give up mate as something is out there I am 35 and I got the how many years exp have you got from a lot of agencies and companies that I approached directly and it’s mind numbing as how do you get exp without someone giving you a chance. I may be able to point you in a cpl of directions if you don’t mind what you do there is a company on rosssmore ind est called go plant they are road sweepers they offered me a job but I already had one when they offered it me was a while ago but they don’t mind people having no exp. also there is an agency called top gear recruitment they deal with people with no exp but you may have to do assessment drives.

Hope this helps mate and good luck with you job hunt and your studies

John