New design ratchet strap

dieseldave:

mjsent:
I would like to apologise for the rule break, it was a pure accident, I copied and pasted it onto the other section when it was supposed to be another question altogether, as you know I cannot remove the post I have tried, but again I am sorry for the rule break
regards mike

Hi Mike,

A Moderator has already taken care of your other post, so that’s sorted. :wink:

Since you’ve asked for opinions, I’ve moved your topic to the main forum and I agree with tachograph… it doesn’t seem to be an advert because you’re not trying to sell anything.

Really? Telling us that they are available in the new year is not an advert? And a first post too. I thought somebody registering only to post an ‘advert’ was considered spam?

And not an original idea either, see post above.

seems as though I have upset some people, well I am sorry about that , this was a genuine attempt to get some feedback from the people who would be using the ratchets,
Patent applied for GB2493612 put the number in Google and you will see, this concept was applied for in June 2011 as stated on the patent app, thousands of pounds and many a right ■■■■ later I have reached this stage, had a person who was in the ratchet industry who was going to get them made and all he done was show the idea to others who copied it, as the YouTube video shows, but hey ho lifes like that, so have done it on my own, as for dragons den there is no business there at present, I have not tried to sell to anyone yet so do not feel as though I have breached the rules, if I have then sorry again, it was a great boost to get so many positive comments, thanks for that, hope to get a few more,
:laughing:
as for registering only for opinion’s is not strictly true, held class 1 licence since Dec 96, just done drivers cpc last week received drivers card today as I may go back on the road for a while, all done by myself by the way not for a company but for me, and as for saying they would be available in the new year, what’s the point in showing anyone on here and asking for feedback if they will never be available, I have not told anyone where to get them, and as I said the idea was mine originally and nicked by the company listed above, I have been in touch with them and told them I was the patent holder and we have seen nothing from them since, prob why nothing listed on you tube as to where they are,
this was not a sales pitch but as I said a genuine attempt to see reactions, as far as I can see its a winner, and you will all be able to get them from some supplier somewhere near you soon
regards to all Mike

Hi Mike,
Great response, once your patent is granted it might be worth looking at licensing it to existing ratchet manufacturers and just collect a royalty from it.
I can envisage how the strap locking and releasing bar would work across all ratchet sizes from 5tonnes to little jobbys for domestic use, roofracks etc.

In fact out the box thinking might be good to see what other applications there are to this design. Find a need fill a need etc.

Anyway don’t discount Dragons Den as those buggers cream their crackers for a granted patent idea.

Most here know I’m really Deborah Meaden.

Best of luck, please keep us posted.

thanks Deborah, nice thinking, yes it has been discussed about getting some smaller ones, Halfords will buy them if smaller and packaged and ready for the shelf, as for a couple of questions about the durability of the ratchet, its made from exactly the same materials as your normal ones, it has passed all the strength tests, as far as using once wet and dirty then the same as before, keep them lubricated and clean as you can and they should last you years, abuse them and that always ends in tears, in any instance,
the idea came when I chucked a strap over a load and asked my son to put the ratchet on, the strap had gone on some horse ■■■ and he said why cant you make a ratchet that fits straight on the strap, hence the new safety ratchet, its great when you attach it to the strap but even better when you release them, no walking backwards into the road or standing pulling the strap back out the ratchet its so simple and much safer
again regards Mike

It’s a good idea and will sell IF you can get a decent price point for it. If you’re lots more than the cheap mass produced stuff we get issued with, firms will probably decide that they are not worth the investment. The accountants won’t be the ones using them. :unamused:

So I wish you luck pal, and hopefully those that like to strap things at work, and Dipper at home :wink: get the benefit! :smiley:

Who the ■■■■ is Deborah?

Any chance on getting some prototypes to actually test in the work place before the new year?

Dipper dave said he was know as Deborah Meaden
and I do have some on there way from china as we speak, should land next week

They look really good mate. No more struggling to thread it through in the dark, wasting time ratcheting the eye into the right position, or struggling if the strap end is frayed. If it’s sturdy enough to last like the original design, and its strong enough to be compliant as a suitable ratchet then it’s a definite improvement.

Id imagine that you’d need it patenting and accrediting for use. Not sure who you’d have to go through to attain the latter, but good luck.

All testing has been done and is approved for the uk market, and it is always done by the manufacturer or the webbing company,

mjsent:
All testing has been done and is approved for the uk market, and it is always done by the manufacturer or the webbing company,

So by now you should have a price point, care to share?

Hi MJSent
What a fantastic concept. So quick and simple. Well done Sir. I do agree with the comments above about pulling down to tighten and I’m sure that would be possible but Good luck with it anyway.
GS

I wish someone would design a strap hook that doesn’t fall off by the time you’ve walked round the other side.

Will say that I can compete with a good quality new 1 , if that’s what you normally buy then you will be pleasantly surprised

mjsent:
Will say that I can compete with a good quality new 1 , if that’s what you normally buy then you will be pleasantly surprised

Where can these be bought, I’d see my boss and ask to trial them?

With regard to the J hook not falling of , well this is something I am trying to add to the new ratchet, it seems the main problem is the magnetism will not last long on the J hook,
as for buying them for trailing you must ask the forum administrator for my details or email , my introduction to this forum was not about selling them but about the responses I can expect when I am in my van going round showing them to prospective buyers,
regards Mike

mjsent:
With regard to the J hook not falling of , well this is something I am trying to add to the new ratchet, it seems the main problem is the magnetism will not last long on the J hook,
as for buying them for trailing you must ask the forum administrator for my details or email , my introduction to this forum was not about selling them but about the responses I can expect when I am in my van going round showing them to prospective buyers,
regards Mike

Try siniat at Portbury. I think wincanton run the transport. They are red hot on safety so the feature of not having to walk away from the trailer might impress them. Might be a good avenue to get into wincanton.

Thanks Tris

I have used something like this before when living in Germany - must have been about 1989/1990. Helping a German driver secure a load I had put on he had half a dozen of these ratchets so maybe they have been around a long time.

Don’t know the brand or whether they were off the shelf or special manufacture.

Good idea as long as they meet the required capacity. I would however worry about a pin not being fully inserted and then tensioned - can this happen? Maybe the pin being almost in but not quite then it slips on the road.

the pin only holds the bar in, if it is not fully inserted once the strap is wound and tightened then it cannot slip or move it would just be like a normal ratchet.

oldmannie:
Excellent idea but may I suggest that the ratchets are reversed so that you pull downwards to tension strap.
Personally I have always found I get more leverage when pulling downwards.

+1 lot better pulling ratchet down rather than up otherwise good idea