New class 2 driver!

Hi ive recently jsut got my class 2 licence and im struggling to find work because ive had no experience.

I live in the north east and the majority of the jobs going say a minimum of 2 years experience for insurance purposes.
I was thinking of getting my hiab license to improve my chance of getting a job do you think kts worth it?

Thanks guys

Hello, id only do hiab if you actually want to do that sort of work or could defonately secure a job to walk into. From my experience i would do your class one, only because i went straight into driving class one with no experience what so ever. I refused to drive class two so i have never driven rigid apart from training. It was hard but with determination you will get there in the end.

get your cv put up on cv libary i passed in november and had endless ppl ring me off there offering me work. i started on 7.5t for a few weeks then got class 2 easy company im at now are taking me on full time ive only been there 7 weeks. keep looking it will come

:smiley: :smiley:

This is what puzzles me about folk entering the driving game. They spend £1000’s getting the basic licence 'cos there’s lots of jobs out there, only to discover that there really isn’t !

Then they spend a few £100’s gaining extra tickets in the vain hope that they will miraculously open up new markets to ply their trade.

IME there’s very few HIAB operators who would be daft or desperate enough to take on someone who is new to both LGV driving & lorry mounted cranes.

New drivers CAN get starts but it takes a little knowledge on where & how to look for them. It is highly unlikely that these jobs will be listed on the internets.

If the category dates on your license allow, I would make up a fictitious company where you have been driving a 7.5 tonne vehicle for the last four years. :wink: Usually that two year driving thing relates more to commercial driving experience. The reality is, many 7.5 tonne vehicles are as big as some class two vehicles… :unamused:

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Unfortunately I passed my test after 1997 so ive never had the entitlement to drive a 7.5 ton truck. Ill just put my cv on cv library and hope for the best. :smiley:

truckerchrisbrown:
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Unfortunately I passed my test after 1997 so ive never had the entitlement to drive a 7.5 ton truck. Ill just put my cv on cv library and hope for the best. :smiley:

Your best chance is to go knocking on doors especially on early Monday morning with all the gear you might need in your boot
If no work at a place then hand them your CV with a short chat

As for permanent full time jobs … ■■?

If you have a Wisemen near you go to them. Go to firms and hand in CV’s etc

Try Hargreaves it’s tipper work but they always take on new drivers and they put u through your cpc . Not the best but a start and they will give full training 0191 3734485

truckerchrisbrown:

Nah. No offence, but people sitting waiting on responses from cv libraries is, in my opinion, a substantial reason why so many people are sat at home wondering why nobodies offering them a job on a plate. You need to be more proactive than that.

If you don’t fancy going door to door (although it’s probably a good tactic), research local haulage firms and post them all a letter with your CV in speculation of jobs. This method has never failed me when looking for a new job.

I went to a big industrial estate that I knew a lot of firms ran out of. Took a big bundle of cv’s and worked my way around had a few job offers in less than a couple weeks.

Oh I wouldn’t pay to do your Hiab unless offered a job either, as I went to local building merchants as well and they said If any vacancies came up they would put your through Hiab If took you on. I wouldn’t do it as a new driver either, I’ve been doing it for a few months Its not easy and quite tireing and stressfull for the 1st few weeks, plus they send you too very tight places with difficult manoeuvres that i wouldnt like to do as a new driver. The lorrys with cranes on the back have massive tail swing too.

Where in the North East do you live

Or do your Cat CE it can open more doors for you as it did me

Ive just send a load of cover letters and cv’s off hopefully ill hear back off them. Ill be going round the industrial estates tomorrow aswell.

I live in middlesbrough but im willing to travel to get work.

Im scraping some money together to do my c+e later on in the year. There seems to be loads more jobs for class 1 drivers :smiley:

truckerchrisbrown:
Ive just send a load of cover letters and cv’s off hopefully ill hear back off them. Ill be going round the industrial estates tomorrow aswell.

I live in middlesbrough but im willing to travel to get work.

Have you registered with any agencies yet :question: as that might be an idea

wheelspin:
Hello, id only do hiab if you actually want to do that sort of work or could defonately secure a job to walk into. From my experience i would do your class one, only because i went straight into driving class one with no experience what so ever. I refused to drive class two so i have never driven rigid apart from training. It was hard but with determination you will get there in the end.

Why??

I’ve had my C+E a bit longer than you have, and I’ll drive whatever they ask me to as long as I’m paid the right rate (usually C+E rate), be it a 32t, 26t, 18t, 12t, 7.5t, sprinter or car - and anything in between.

I always wonder what they mean when they say “we’ve only got a 17t job tomorrow, is that ok?” me:“what rate you paying”, “you’ll still get your normal class 1 rate”, me:“Of bloody course I’ll drive it then” :unamused:

They must be used to dealing with flashy, alloy wheel, shiney tank loving prima donna’s like yourself

truckerchrisbrown:
Im scraping some money together to do my c+e later on in the year. There seems to be loads more jobs for class 1 drivers :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ok, on all seriousness though, it does give a LOT more choices of work than anything else, HIAB, ADR etc etc are all limited to far fewer companies than a C+E, how many artic’s do you see on the road, then you’ve got the wag + drag’s etc.

Thanks for your help guys. I think ill leave the hiab course, ive had a few phone calls off agencies since I was last on so things a looking up :smiley:

Cant wait to get some experience behind me and get a taste of what its like.

I live in Teesside too and I went to Paynes dairies in boroughbridge when I first passed my test. About 35 minutes away. They’ll take new starters on and the pay isn’t the worst for the area niether. But you can’t be frightened of work! They’ve c+e work too so get your class 1 ASAP and get your experience there.