New Class 1 driver for hire... Please help!

Good afternoon,

I would be VERY grateful if someone could lend me your eyes, mind and experience to assist some fresh meat into the industry.

My name is Rob, I am a 33 year old married father of 2 wonderful boys, Michael & Theo. I have held my Cat’s C & D since 2012/2013 and have been lucky with experience in Grab/Tipper/Skip/Chiller/Recovery and Curtain sides. I also hold a Counter-Balance FLT by the way.

I recently passed my Class 1 (Four days training, first time pass). I am really trying to find someone that is willing to give a bloke a shot in the big leagues and help me develop myself as an HGV driver. I have a can do attitude, and pride myself on my customer facing ability. I have CPC & Digi Card, and of course the license. I also have the 5 FORS E-Learning Modules completed as a brucey bonus.

Unfortunately, with many employers this seems to be insufficient, as I do NOT have 2yrs Artic’ experience. I do naturally appreciate that this is basically down to insurance premiums and understand that this is not down to the operators themselves.

I really am keen to further my career within the industry and would like to eventually progress into Heavy Haulage, O/S loads etc.

My family & I would definatly consider relocation for the right opportunity, as it seems opportunities in SW London & Surrey are limited further still.

I would really appreciate hearing from any of you well versed, industry experienced people that could provide me with advice, experience, contacts or better still… A job would be fantastic! :wink:

I thank you all kindly for your time.

In two years time you will have two years “experience” so don’t panic! Have you tried around Heathrow?

When you copy/paste larger messages, remember to cut out the non relevant bits.

Yes, that’s quite right… Even if i don’t have a job until such a time. My license would be 2 yrs old, thus making me employable… Even if i haven’t touched a wagon since passing. Which, in my opinion is absolutely bonkers.

There are plenty of employers who don’t insist on two years’ experience, and even if a job advert asks for it, it’s still worth sending a CV anyway as many employers will take on a driver with the right attitude even if he is newly passed.

Have you tried agency? Many companies have a “try before they buy” philosophy.

Many thanks to you both for your positive information and support. It is appreciated. I have signed up with 2 agencies, one of which I have done some class 2 work for previously and another which was recommended by a trucker.

I have also made direct contact with a couple of companies, some of which I will give a follow up call to during the week and one has actually invited me in for an interview tomorrow morning.

So thank you all kindly for the help and support. Let you know how it pans out with tomorrow.

Just turn up to the local firms mate (it’s better than ringing) and show them how keen you are, and how much you would like a job with them. Go armed with your licence and dcpc card, a hi viz and boots.
Take your cv in case the guy is too busy on the day, leave it with him and go back the next day to ask if he has looked at it.

In another life I took a couple of guys with minimal exp on, who knocked on my door as I was impressed with their initiative and enthusiasm, it’s all about making a good impression, and you may be lucky on the day if they are for instance looking for a night man on the day you visit, and are stuck, tight time right place etc, …who knows.
Good luck with it all anyway mate.

It is best to go face to face with most employers ask to speak with the TM

Also have a good luck in the New & Wannabies forum loads of help in there

Not that simple mate I am afraid. Most places will require 180 days driving completed within the 2 year period.

And will simply download your digi card just to make sure ’ your pant’s aren’t on fire ’ :wink: And this is a situation that unfortunately dovetails nicely into a couple of active threads regarding pay.

If you are offered a CE start for £9 per hour less breaks, you will understandably take it to get on the ladder. The whole system is a mess.

eagerbeaver:
Not that simple mate I am afraid. Most places will require 180 days driving completed within the 2 year period.

And will simply download your digi card just to make sure ’ your pant’s aren’t on fire ’ :wink: And this is a situation that unfortunately dovetails nicely into a couple of active threads regarding pay.

If you are offered a CE start for £9 per hour less breaks, you will understandably take it to get on the ladder. The whole system is a mess.

What if you have been driving a paper tacho truck

eagerbeaver:
And will simply download your digi card just to make sure ’ your pant’s aren’t on fire ’ :wink:

On a mute point, i thought a new firm didn’t have the right to look on your card at what you’ve done previously.
I say mute point, as I assume there is no way you can stop them, or even know if they have…

An unfortunate fire in your garage destroyed your analogue records…

But on the plus side, the insurance paid out for new golf clubs.

Evil8Beezle:

eagerbeaver:
And will simply download your digi card just to make sure ’ your pant’s aren’t on fire ’ :wink:

On a mute point, i thought a new firm didn’t have the right to look on your card at what you’ve done previously.
I say mute point, as I assume there is no way you can stop them, or even know if they have…

" Hi, I am here for a job ".

" Can we have your card please to download for our records/compliance? ".

" No ".

" Bye ". :laughing:

Find a firm (either FT or via agency) that runs both C & CE, go in on the rigid work, get to know them, let them get to know you, chat with the TM (or whoever makes the decisions) to let them know you’ve got a class 1 and are more than willing to jump in when needed. All it needs then is for one driver to phone in sick when you’re already in the yard for you to be considered to be given a chance. Gen. Haulage might be your best bet to get a foot in the door without too much hassle, but there might be more appropriate/ easier to get in on stuff out there.

Did a few days here and there on 7.5t for a GH firm late last year (they booked me as class 2 so had to pay the extra 50p or whatever an hour :unamused: ) next thing I know they’ve booked me for a week on class 1 (happily I avoided the hour’s induction stuff :smiley:) then another week after. Didn’t particularly want it but don’t tend to refuse work unless I absolutely hate it, had its good points and its bad points, would probably do a week there again if I need the work just before Xmas this year.

Yes, a big difference in experience levels between us, but you can’t beat being available and known to the firm when they need someone to shift a lorry NOW!

eagerbeaver:

And it won’t tell anyone he hasn’t been driving artics… :wink:

All good comment and fair points made within, I thank you all again. :sunglasses:

It is appreciated

Try bulk freight they take on new drivers and have a couple of depots around London.

Make sure you are speaking to the organ grinder and not the monkey.

True story. I called up Robert Burns Transport a year or so ago asking if they needed anybody. The pleb on the phone asked me my experience and then said “nah, you’ve had too many jobs” then basically hung up on me. Called the next day and managed to get through to Robert himself and arranged an informal interview for the following day. Turns out yes they were looking and the job was mine before I even turned up.

I didn’t take it as it turned out as it wasn’t suitable for me at the time. Just goes to show though, speak to the wrong person and opportunities are sorely missed.

Regards

TiredAndEmotional:
Have you tried around Heathrow?

The companies around LHR won’t entertain him unless he has a level D. But getting this will open up all the airfreight movers around there, mixed fright, UCH, Danata, Swissport, WFS(tramping), K&N, Goldstar etc etc, here in Manchester it’s a 7 hour course £50 or it can be sat at home on a computer(I paid £120 to do 4 hours at home).

The main airlines, (Danata, Swissport and WFS all take on “newbie” drivers)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144107

In this thread a couple of us go into great detail about the job and the course itself.