New cars to be fitted with limiters

As title suggests all new cars to be fitted with mandatory speed limiters in next 3 years in EU

evo.co.uk/news/22326/mandat … hree-years

Not sure if this would affect the general motorist here in the UK but I can only assume it would.

We wont be in the EU in 3 years

As we are supposed to be leaving the EU then cars sold in this country would surely not fall under these big brother rules [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:
As we are supposed to be leaving the EU then cars sold in this country would surely not fall under these big brother rules

The control freaks on both sides of the Channel won’t allow a small matter like Brexit to spoil their party.Notice EU democracy in action decided by an unelected council and a few ‘key’ ( read on message ) MEP’s.

Look on the bright side like all other similar legislation it will help older car values. :wink:

wrighty1:
As we are supposed to be leaving the EU then cars sold in this country would surely not fall under these big brother rules [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They’ll just fit them with an “EU Mode” that must be activated when you’re there, doubtlessly enforced with large fines for not complying.

shullbit:
We wont be in the EU in 3 years

We hope, I will believe it when it happens…

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sounds like this will render speed cameras redundant, how will the treasury make up for the shortfall?

My new Jap car came with the Jap standard 112mph limiter fitted so that’s on my to do list to remove. Lucky for me my little blackbox that is going to change kph to mph on the speedo also removes the limiter :sunglasses:

My car has a thing on the control panel that tells you the speed limit of the road you’re on.
More than once its told me the limit on the motorway was 30mph and sometimes it will tell me in a built up area the limit is 70mph. What happens when the system of this super dooper idea thinks the same thing?
It’s an ideology dreamed up by the nanny state brigade that won’t work in the real world. I won’t even call it a “good idea in theory” because its not

Not the worse idea in the world.

Wonder if it’ll cause ‘bunching’…

As not all limiters are the same…

They maybe out by about 0.0005mph to each other.

As we’ve all somewhere experienced the multi mile overtake, imagine how car drivers will feel? :smiling_imp: (shoe now on the other foot…)

And will we then suffer ‘historical’ speeding fines if it’s recording so called ‘data’ all the time…■■

Pity they weren’t fitted now as then I wouldn’t have 6 bloody points on my licence … :frowning:

you Can still be driving within the speed limit yet that be too fast and dangerous for the conditions. It’s a limit not a target. There’s plenty of occasions where there’s too many hazards so 20ish is more appropriate than 30 when the limit is 30.

Most country lanes are national speed limit speed 60mph yet you’d be lucky to average about 30 if your driving safely.

I think there is much more that is wrong with driving standards than speed alone and electronic limiting won’t work. It will just make people more frustrated, therefore doing more stupid things and more road rage etc. All of which cause accidents.

Wonder if it’ll cause ‘bunching’…

Of course it will, it happens now already with drivers using cruise control. It’s a sad fact but some drivers do not have any control over their right leg and no idea of the dangers involved.

DickyNick:
you Can still be driving within the speed limit yet that be too fast and dangerous for the conditions. It’s a limit not a target. There’s plenty of occasions where there’s too many hazards so 20ish is more appropriate than 30 when the limit is 30.

Most country lanes are national speed limit speed 60mph yet you’d be lucky to average about 30 if your driving safely.

I think there is much more that is wrong with driving standards than speed alone and electronic limiting won’t work. It will just make people more frustrated, therefore doing more stupid things and more road rage etc. All of which cause accidents.

+1

Lots of cars are limited already, these can be removed,with a click of the mouse,…Be a lot of cars with a ferry switch,

The-Snowman:
My car has a thing on the control panel that tells you the speed limit of the road you’re on.
More than once its told me the limit on the motorway was 30mph and sometimes it will tell me in a built up area the limit is 70mph. What happens when the system of this super dooper idea thinks the same thing?
It’s an ideology dreamed up by the nanny state brigade that won’t work in the real world. I won’t even call it a “good idea in theory” because its not

I have a 17 plate Galaxy as the family bus, I noticed that when you go through these new smart motorway sections it adjusts the speed limit notice on the dash to whatever is on the gantry as soon as you pass it, I was impressed when I first noticed it, then I got a little paranoid about how the sign was communicating with my car?!
I experience the same as you though Snowman, it very often gets confused in 30 and 40 where I guess the limits have changed but no kind of update is available/sent to the car.
It can’t take too much technology these days to make the car limit itself if it’s so easy to electronically tell the car what the limit is and when it changes while I’m on the motorway…

westermant:
Not the worse idea in the world.

Pretty bloody close to it though! :smiley:

56.9 mph :smiley: :smiley:, cant wait