New Cameras!

At last they are introducing a camera that will actually do some good and save lives.It has been on the cards for some time now and the main reason it is good because it will help to eradicate tailgating which as a lorry driver really infuriates me.
Hopefully the new cameras will work as a deterrent and help stop this dangerous practice but the ones that carry on will be caught fined and given points and if they persist they will lose their licence.
The first of these cameras are due this year and it is predicted before to long there will be far more of these than there are speed cameras now.All I can say is the sooner the better as anything that will save lives is a good thing.They will also catch people not wearing seat belts,untaxed vehicles and of course speeding.The only other cameras that do any good are the average speed ones in my opinion.

It’s like the Soviet bleedin’ Union here these days.

Harry Monk:
It’s like the Soviet bleedin’ Union here these days.

My missus says it worse!

The Stasi could only dream of this kind of surveillance. Will we be encouraged with ‘rewards’ for reporting others?

So when do we pull out to overtake then? 2 artic lengths? 3, 4, 5? This will probably result in us being banned from lane 2. So what happens when we’re all in lane 1 keeping to the regimented 2 second rule like good little boys and girls, when that gap is suddenly filled with 4 cars wanting to exit? Who will get done? The 1st car? All of 'em? Or me? Will i have to slam on to maintain the gap before the camera catches me? Just think of the consternation this will cause behind. Chaos

I’m sure they’ve had these sort of tail-gating cameras in Germany for years, BritPete will probably confirm this.
IMHO I think they are a good idea.

DaiDap:
The Stasi could only dream of this kind of surveillance. Will we be encouraged with ‘rewards’ for reporting others?

So when do we pull out to overtake then? 2 artic lengths? 3, 4, 5? This will probably result in us being banned from lane 2. So what happens when we’re all in lane 1 keeping to the regimented 2 second rule like good little boys and girls, when that gap is suddenly filled with 4 cars wanting to exit? Who will get done? The 1st car? All of 'em? Or me? Will i have to slam on to maintain the gap before the camera catches me? Just think of the consternation this will cause behind. Chaos

Guy’s got a point…

In reply to DaiDap.What the hell are you thinking about?Are you honestly being serious?You do not even know about the 2 second rule judging by your comments.

albion1971:
In reply to DaiDap.What the hell are you thinking about?Are you honestly being serious?You do not even know about the 2 second rule judging by your comments.

It’s simple. Say you’re keeping to your 2 second gap and your a mile away from a junction. Suddenly, 2 or 3 cars wanting to get off jump in that gap right before you go past this new camera. You’re gonna get fined. Either that or slam the brakes on to maintain a gap.

If they can get it to work and stop tailgating without accidentally fining innocent drivers then great, we’d all love that. Seems far fetched though.

albion1971:

Hear hear well said anything that saves lives as surely got to be a good thing, remember all the negative comments that came out when seat belts first became compulsory, they have saved many more lives than they have caused deaths.

It’s my number one hate on the motorway, I’d love to see it pulled off. Nothing worse than some ■■■■■■■■ rep in a works BMW tailgating you like your taking up HIS space on HIS road.

Just seems tricky to implement, especially in heavy traffic.

albion1971:

Err… I’m sure i did mention the 2 second gap.

The point i was making is what gap will the Stasi deem appropriate? A 44 ton truck takes a lot longer to stop than one that’s empty.

Sounds like a load of pish, what if someone cuts the nose off you approaching a camera. You get done for tailgating :unamused:

If your close enough up someones chuff no camera in the world is going to see your plate past that first artic.

will it sort all the undertaking dumb minded bmw driving idiots that cut up and cause accidents? if it does sounds half decent.

In normal motorway traffic the speed for a hgv is 60mph - most are limited to 56mph’ish WHY do we end up tailgating a car that has a maximum legal speed of 70mph■■? I don’t want a response that the limit is not a target but come on…there is no way on this earth that I should overtake a car uphill at maximum weight which is about 43tonne in actual terms!

Lane discipline is the major thing - get the cameras to sort that out and the motorways will run much better

Does anyone on here know about the 2 second rule and the fact it does not apply to trucks.
2 sec rule is MINIMUM distance for a car in good conditions.A truck needs at least double that!
From what I can gather most of the initial cameras will be on A roads with motorways and duals to follow.
A car cutting in front of a truck will not result in the truck driver being prosecuted.From what I have been told the cameras are far cleverer than that.Will be interesting to see how it goes!
I just hope they have effect that they are built for.

Having seen the pictures of it I don’t think we have anything to worry about, it makes the fully marked up police truck look like an undercover vehicle. Stevie Wonder could spot it a mile off at night FFS.

The more cameras they use the less police you actually see on the road. In the 30 years I’ve been driving it has never been easier to get away with speeding or anything else. Thats progression for you.

How about a camera that can detect your axle weights, the condition of your tyres and the condition of your brakes :open_mouth:

project-asset.com/index1.php?lan=en

They’ll have a camera for everything soon enough :open_mouth:

This sounds like great fun!

The ■■■■ behind you in the BMW/Audi/Vectra/Insignia/Range Rover is bound to back off when he gets near the camera, simply slam on the anchors just before you go past and hey presto he’s tailgating and going to get a lovely fine in the post.

Alternatively, pick people you don’t like the look of in the other lanes and pop right infront of them just before the camera. Someone cut you up on that sliproad 10 miles back? just hold your anger till you go past then nip to the front of their front bumper - cracking idea project ASSET

I can’t wait :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Who’s paying for this? :unamused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

merc0447:
How about a camera that can detect your axle weights , the condition of your tyres and the condition of your brakes :open_mouth:

They’ll have a camera for everything soon enough :open_mouth:

akaik ,
you will find there already is one on the M1 and in various other locations too (approx` 14/15 locations). Operated by vosa .
The system is called WIMS (weigh in motion sensors) and is linked with ANPR .
You trundle along the slab and the induction loops in tarmac monitor /register your axles and weights + the ANPR pings your reg … simples … :open_mouth:
It can even tell if youve had your breakfast or not :laughing:

linky linky :-

transportsfriend.org/enforcement/wims.html