new C+E job

Went for an assessment drive and chat at a local depot for a fairly big firm on Monday and I’ve been offered a new job, C+E on a wagon and drag, starting on Monday!

There’s some training to get out of the way first so I probably won’t be on the road for a week or so, but I’m looking forward to getting started! I’m not gonna say who it’s for just yet, but it’s UK-wide and full-time (not agency) with nights out etc

I’ve been in my Class 2 job collecting waste tyres for eight weeks now and although it’s been great experience and I’ve covered a fair bit of distance in that time, it’s really hard work. I’m doing around 3-5 hours of handball loading the tyres every day, often without any help, and on top of the driving it’s knackering me out!

Just wanted to post to let newbies know that there are jobs out there if you’re persistent enough and willing to give anything a go. I got my Class 2 job four weeks to the day after passing my Cat C test, and now have a Class 1 job four weeks after passing that test! I’ll try to update this over the next couple of weeks once I’ve seen how things go and I’m back down the road! :smiley:

Great stuff well done friend!

Congratulations Kev!

Well done mate. It is indeed good news for you and for all the other newbies out there looking for work believing there isn’t any.

All the best with it. :smiley:

Well done mate.

As you say, with persistence, the jobs are out there.

It may not be the best paid job but at least you are moving up the ladder.

Let us know how it goes once you’ve settled in :slight_smile:

nice one really pleased for you , look forward to seeing ya out on the road :smiley:

Well done on your new job, that’s brilliant news :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Excellent news Kev I’m made up for you.

Well done, thank you for the encouragement, nice to know people are getting the jobs. I have now had a reply from all the agencies in my area and no one will touch me. Had my licences since 1977/79 and they will not let me near a van! I intend to keep trying the private owners. Testaments like yours inspire us to keep going. Thank you :slight_smile:

Well done that man, it just goes to show that it can take a little time.
Just take your time with things so you feel comfortable and ignore the smart arse drivers when you’re reversing.

I’m now in my fourth week C+E tramping full time and I’m living the dream as they say. :grimacing: :grimacing:

:smiley: :smiley: :blush:

alder:
Well done, thank you for the encouragement, nice to know people are getting the jobs. I have now had a reply from all the agencies in my area and no one will touch me. Had my licences since 1977/79 and they will not let me near a van! I intend to keep trying the private owners. Testaments like yours inspire us to keep going. Thank you :slight_smile:

My advice is forget the agencies and go direct. Write letters, get on the phone and knock on as many doors as you can. Get a good CV together and present a good image. Be persistent and you’ll end up being in the right place at the right time eventually!

kevchalluk:

alder:

My advice is forget the agencies and go direct. Write letters, get on the phone and knock on as many doors as you can. Get a good CV together and present a good image. Be persistent and you’ll end up being in the right place at the right time eventually!

Thanks that is what I intend to do but my CV looks crap as the last 10 years I have been in property and 10 years before that IT so my CV is all over the place. I have my medical on Wednesday and then when my licence comes back I will start knocking on doors.

alder:

kevchalluk:

alder:

Thanks that is what I intend to do but my CV looks crap as the last 10 years I have been in property and 10 years before that IT so my CV is all over the place. I have my medical on Wednesday and then when my licence comes back I will start knocking on doors.

Make a cv up half the time they don’t check if they do big deal you aint lost anything, try and find out companys that went ■■■■ up say you lost your job thats all i did, they can’t check it out because they no longer trade did me no harm it’s a dog eat dog world out there :smiley:

uncledek:

alder:

kevchalluk:

alder:

A few people have said that and I am temped to do it. Someone said use companies that are 40 miles way so that they can’t ask someone who maybe on their books?

Make a cv up half the time they don’t check if they do big deal you aint lost anything, try and find out companys that went ■■■■ up say you lost your job thats all i did, they can’t check it out because they no longer trade did me no harm it’s a dog eat dog world out there :smiley:

uncledek:

alder:

kevchalluk:

alder:

A few people have said that and I am temped to do it. Someone said use companies that are 40 miles way so that they can’t ask someone who maybe on their books?

Well done Kev. I have already made my mind up about you and your new job. i will tell you in a fortnight if I was right.

I think the lorries are green :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Well done Kev. I have already made my mind up about you and your new job. i will tell you in a fortnight if I was right.

It’s not the obvious one who I presume you’re thinking of!

:wink:

alder:

I’ve been in an office for the past 10 years too, so I played up some van and 7.5-tonne driving I did donkeys years ago and laboured the point that I was a professional, educated person instead who was keen to make the career change a success. Use what strengths you have to your advantage, it makes you stand out from all the other letters!

Good luck

There are loads of private firms around Leeds/Bradford/Harrogate so I will see where I get with them and see if someone will give me a start.

kevchalluk:

Wheel Nut:

It’s not the obvious one who I presume you’re thinking of!

:wink:

Not that one, a little bird told me :stuck_out_tongue: