New business model

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Well the race to the bottom has just gone up a gear or two hasn’t it? With this pandemic giving greedy companies a fantastic excuse to lower thier overheads in the form of redundancies in order to appease shareholders, I can’t imagine it will be long before the results of this start to show over here?

Let’s be honest, all of these operators that exploit drivers from EE and slightly beyond will jump on this bandwagon very quickly. I imagine these poor Filipino lads and co. will be treated even worse than their predecessors, under worse conditions with much worse pay. These practises were not too far away from being classed as modern day slavery as they were!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sadly…

This isn’t a new business model, it’s been going on for years.

As usual, all the necessary laws are in place to stop this from happening but without proper and frequent enforcement, laws are useless.

The Amazon PR team spouting the company line ‘we expect all our contractors to adhere to government law yadder blah blah yadder yadder’. We all know that as long as the trailer shows up at the right depot with the correct seal number, they couldn’t give a ■■■■.

Still I don’t suppose anyone cares as long as they get their parcel delivered that’s all that matters really.

Pity the uk has zero backbone, Amazon have questionable working conditions, they are helping to destroy the high Street where there will be thousands of redundancies & now they are trying to put uk HGV companies out of business all whilst using tax avoidenc schemes.
Amazon really are a cancer in the UK offering nothing positive but bringing destruction in its path

These foreign Driver’s will only bring carnage to UK roads, turn services into slums & just drag the industry down another notch all in the name of profit for an American company.

LisasGuy:
Pity the uk has zero backbone, Amazon have questionable working conditions, they are helping to destroy the high Street where there will be thousands of redundancies & now they are trying to put uk HGV companies out of business all whilst using tax avoidenc schemes.
Amazon really are a cancer in the UK offering nothing positive but bringing destruction in its path

These foreign Driver’s will only bring carnage to UK roads, turn services into slums & just drag the industry down another notch all in the name of profit for an American company.

Amazon is a cancer every where not just in UK, yet they seem to get bigger and bigger every year.
Personally I haven’t bought anything from them for about 4 years now because of the above…

There’s the answer, stop buying from these companies. The last time this came up it involved the Dutch sub-contractor on the IKEA work in Europe and them out sourcing to low paying EE contractors.

The high street and short sighted half witted councils caused Amazon to become the monster it has, and i include retail parks in this.

Councils made getting to the shops and parking a nightmare, allowing too many shops too many traffic disrupting schemes and too few parking spaces.
Shops in too many cases treated their customers as a nuisance to be at best tolerated.

Along comes Amazon who not only delivers to your door, but if you have any issues with the product their customer service dept (as always helps if yoy are a regular customer) sorts the issue out pronto.

The high street has no one but itself to blame, and the councils are too thick to even see what they have aided and abetted.

Juddian:
The high street and short sighted half witted councils caused Amazon to become the monster it has, and i include retail parks in this.

Councils made getting to the shops and parking a nightmare, allowing too many shops too many traffic disrupting schemes and too few parking spaces.
Shops in too many cases treated their customers as a nuisance to be at best tolerated.

Along comes Amazon who not only delivers to your door, but if you have any issues with the product their customer service dept (as always helps if yoy are a regular customer) sorts the issue out pronto.

The high street has no one but itself to blame, and the councils are too thick to even see what they have aided and abetted.

Amen to that!

yourhavingalarf:
Sadly…

This isn’t a new business model, it’s been going on for years.

As usual, all the necessary laws are in place to stop this from happening but without proper and frequent enforcement, laws are useless.

The Amazon PR team spouting the company line ‘we expect all our contractors to adhere to government law yadder blah blah yadder yadder’. We all know that as long as the trailer shows up at the right depot with the correct seal number, they couldn’t give a [zb].

As soon as we get any employment laws, at least trying, to support workers against exploitative practices we get talk of “EU red tape” and calls for UK exemptions.
Swedish derogation (ending now)
The WTD largely ignored in the UK.
No calls from populist politicians for better conditions for workers, just a pseudo nationalistic shout against rules that cost the (absentee) owners profits.
“Freedom For Tooting!”

Yuri basically says in Europe abide by the laws as the chances of getting stopped are high, yet in the UK its non existent so crack on with 20 hour driving periods, only time you will get caught is when you stop for a break on lane 1 off a live motorway & another 20 hour driver half asleep drives straight into the back off you.
This Seams to keep happening yet nothing is ever done about it.

We now have to leave our tacho cards in the truck recording at least 15 minutes work at the end of a shift or its an infringement. Yet Yuri is free to do what he wants because he’s cheaper.

LisasGuy:
We now have to leave our tacho cards in the truck recording at least 15 minutes work at the end of a shift or its an infringement.

You what?

When I was working in Saudi my company was taken over by a US consortium.The drivers were half european and half arabs.The company couldn’t do anything about the latter but the europeans were gradually removed and replaced by thais who were remarkably cheap and not hgv drivers.Double manned they never stopped even to change drivers.they asked how europeans stayed awake so long and we said it was salt tablets of which they took plenty.One truck a week was written off and the damage repair bill was high.
My particular department had a lot of filipino tradesmen who,like the thais,were all good lads.they worked for peanuts but were exploited because their wage was more than they would have earned back home.They behaved because they were threatened with repatriation on the spot.

cav551:

LisasGuy:
We now have to leave our tacho cards in the truck recording at least 15 minutes work at the end of a shift or its an infringement.

You what?

Yep announced last week at our place, at the beginning & end of every shift we have to show 15 minutes “other work” to prove we have done a proper check or its an infringement.

LisasGuy:

cav551:

LisasGuy:

You what?

Yep announced last week at our place, at the beginning & end of every shift we have to show 15 minutes “other work” to prove we have done a proper check or its an infringement.

S’bit daft…

Let’s imagine you’ve just made it back to the yard and you’re showing 14 hours 55 minutes duty. If you show other work for 15 minutes, you will defo get an infringement.

Your company may well have a policy that say’s they like to see 15 minutes duty at the end of every shift but, it isn’t a legal requirement and you can’t get an infringement for not showing 15 minutes at the end of a shift.

Will you also get an infringement for not winding the legs right up to the top?

LisasGuy:

Ah sweet Jesus. Please God save us from underemployed and overpaid middle management desperate to justify their non jobs!

They might claim that it’s an infringement but trust me it’s not. Granted it may be contrary to company policy but it certainly would not rate as an infringement on any sort of analysis.

LisasGuy:

cav551:

LisasGuy:

You what?

What are you checking at the end of your shift? Easy money though [emoji857]

Juddian:

+1

Absolutely spot on. You can’t beat amazon for customer service and if you have prime, next day delivery for free.

If the councils allowed free parking then more people may go for a browse on a weekend and in turn spend money.

It’s unfortunate that the high streets are disappearing but they must evolve (Along with the money grabbing councils) to compete.

Can’t blame amazon for using cheap contractors, blame should lie with the U.K. gov. They need to ban cabotage. Let them in with a load and collect a back load out. Stop them running around the U.K. paying peanuts so therefore charging peanuts whilst stealing fuel. Simple.

Also on a side note, ban any eu country from accessing our DVLA until we can access theirs. Fed up of seeing eu drivers speeding though average speed limits and generally breaking the law because they know we can’t ticket them, but we do the same in their country and a ticket will arrive a few weeks later.

Cant see the problem myself the way of the future Amazon has the monopoly over the high street even more so during this Corona virus episode I would much rather buy goods at Amazon than in Tesco for example.

nomiS36:

Juddian:

Amen to that!

+2

Ken.