New breed of driver RANT!

It seems to me that new drivers,mostly young un’s,pass their tests and within 5 mins know everything,as “ol hands” at this game,we try n pass on a bit of our experience but they’re always rushing about,some literally running,i kid you not,and dont want to listen or learn which is a shame. Where i work,animal feed driver,we have always returned to yard n checked to see where we gotta load before we pull onto either weighbridge,but the newbys,oh no not them,straight passed everyone n onto the bridge,not even knowing if they’re on the right one.A friendly word of advice is usually met with a shrug of the shoulders. They are all taught the way that we do things when they are trained up,but it obviously goes in one ear then out the other side. Just seems to be a lack of repect for the many drivers that have been here a long time.I know we were all newbys once,but i think we had a bit of respect for the more senior drivers. Rant over,thats better,i thank you…

I find the complete opposite to be honest. It’s usually the “I’ve been driving 40 years, there’s nothing you can tell me about this job” type who rush about like idiots carving the job up, foot to the floor everywhere because they reckon they know best.

Left hand down!:
I find the complete opposite to be honest. It’s usually the “I’ve been driving 40 years, there’s nothing you can tell me about this job” type who rush about like idiots carving the job up, foot to the floor everywhere because they reckon they know best.

Sadly I’ve got to agree with this. Every time I’ve “suggested” to a new guy that he may want to do something differently to how he’s doing it they invariably thank me, try it and agree it’s a better way, whereas Mr beendoingitsincedayone thinks that his way is the only way.

Completely disagree with you there harve. We have a lot of newbies at our place who are respectful, do the job right, keep trucks clean and tidy and alot of old boys who think picking up a lance and washing down a truck is beneth them.

I find ex Army new drivers a PITA. Generally have every cert under the sun as some sort of leaving package, and no idea ! :smiley:

Sadly there are a lot of old hands who dont like to be told how to do the job and will do it there way or bust, or on the other hand refuse to do anything that they think is beneath them, well there are limits as to how many times you can sweep the yard ( and even i wouldnt do that ) was offered it once as there wasnt any work and told them where to stuff it ( another job i lost ) some companies dont want to be told the truth especially when i asked them to get an office guy out to help. I will offer my advice where needed and asked for if the driver has a bit of an idea, but i did say i would never help an agency who couldnt couple up a trailer, or even turn a fridge on, but i have since relented in my old age, i will also ask not necessarily old hands, but those who have been on a particular job longer than me for advice if i need it, what old hands dont like are those who immediately stick their noses in other peoples business like they do know it all and we know nothing.

Mike-C:
I find ex Army new drivers a PITA. Generally have every cert under the sun as some sort of leaving package, and no idea ! :smiley:

At least everything gets polished :wink: :wink:

I’m a newbie, I do my best to take in advice or tips for anyone who will give it out… Some of the old timers, don’t want to share there trade secrets, or would rather stand and watch as you ■■■■ it up!!!

G6Bob:
I’m a newbie, I do my best to take in advice or tips for anyone who will give it out… Some of the old timers, don’t want to share there trade secrets, or would rather stand and watch as you ■■■■ it up!!!

this!!!

about 2 months ago i made a right hash of a simple reverse onto a bay :laughing: . did anyone help? nope, they jeered and got their phones out, about 3 of them.

at first it ■■■■■■ me off, then i found solace in the fact thats probably the most entertaining thing they’ll see all month in their pathetic lives.

Mike-C:

Depends what the guys do in the army mate.

The lads in logs and MTs who have been driving for years generally have a lot of experience and drive in ■■■■■■■■■■

Then you get infantry lads and few other cap badges do there HGV as they need it to drive the armoured vehicles on operations. They will have very little experience driving

Then lads with nothing doing it on there resettlement package before they get out.

There is a hole range of driving in the forces.

Guarantee 95% of ex soldiers will have better work ethic than most civi drivers.

Got to say I find new drivers more receptive to advice and prepared to ask. The old hands dismiss any ideas that may help make their job easier and areless helpful.

Some newbies think they know it all and thats in any industry, they won’t take advice from the more experiance members of staff and yet on the other hand we got the opposite end of the spectrum, where as inexperience drivers that need help don’t get it because the old timers / experienced ppl see these new staff as a threat…

Think in some places if the experienced staff where more approachable and drop the attitude then you might fined the newbies will give you that respect…

End of the day respect is something you earn… its not warranted due to your position and experience

I’ve only been at it 9years but I like to think I’m good and take pride in what I do I offer help if I feel it’s needed but even now am more than happy to let someone show me an easier way if I’m making a hash of something. In the early days I didn’t really need to ask a lot because many people offered me advice and stuck there noses I’m with tales of how great they were and how ■■■■ I was. I learned more through observation, I picked out the drivers that made it look easy the ones that kept there motors up together and weren’t bashing the ■■■■ out of them and just copied what they done its worked for me. I do agree to an extent what the op says though ive tried to offer a bit of help if I think someone can make there life a little easier but I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s the young new drivers as I find older drivers don’t want to listen to us “youngens” either.

tango boy:

Mike-C:

I thought it was saluted if it moved, painted green if it didn’t? :wink:

Steeps

I was fortunate that I passed my test in a time when people were more helpful, including hauliers and even people in the transport office. When I drove 7.5 tonne vehicles someone showed me how to do a proper dolly (hitch) knot, when I moved onto the bigger stuff I was showed how to drive tippers and roadsweepers, how to chain and bolster steel properly, how to load machinery and stabilise it with railway sleepers and chocks.

I cannot remember the ages of the people that taught me all this stuff and to me it is totally irrelevant, but was grateful that they did. You will always inevitably get the smug git that will watch you struggle with anything in life and think they are god’s gift to whatever industry they are working with. As with all things in life I keep an open mind and realise you are never too old to learn new tricks.

Steeps:

tango boy:

Mike-C:

I thought it was saluted if it moved, painted green if it didn’t? :wink:

Steeps

That’s Stobarts silly :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cue Jonnytruckfestival ■■?
He as been at it now nearly a whole week :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Not much experience of Newbies, but good thing about squaddies is that generally they are well behaved and are used to listening to and carrying out orders to the letter, and have a can do attitude, although this can be offset by lack of initiative sometimes.

BIG AW:
Cue Jonnytruckfestival ■■?
He as been at it now nearly a whole week :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

He’ll make a bloody good driver l reckon, always enthusiastic never to scared to ask if he doesn’t know something wish there were more around like him rather then the usual depressive know alls I often encounter fair play to the lad I hope he does Well for himself.

When I did two days work at Co-op last week, I spoke to one of the drivers about getting into some of the loading areas as they are very tight. Next thing he does is pull out a scrap of paper and a pen and proceeds to give me the 101 on how to get a truck in and out with the minumal of fuss. It helped me a lot but I never manged to meet him again to thank him.