New ASDA DC ?

Rumours were rife that ASDA were to build a new DC for ambient on the land next to Burtonwood services (the old airfield) and already had a spade in the ground a couple of months ago. There’s a lot of work going on there with levelling etc. This follows on a lot of men in hi viz wandering around looking at the site for the last month or so. Just wandering if anyone knows the actual truth ? ASDA are desperate for a new DC, Wigan has been in dire straits for years, then they acquired the old DHL place in Warrington which really isn’t fit for purpose so it would make sense. The site is massive and they have now offloaded the ASDA supermarket distribution to the new Wincanton depot near Rochdale. In the local rag a few months ago there was a quashing of a rumour which said that the chill in Skem was not closing as rumours suggested. I wouldn’t be surprised if that did go though, it’s not big enough and is apparantly one of the worst performing ASDA DC’s countrywide. As whispers go ASDA want to source out their distribution.

Can I stress this is all hearsay and could be a load of rubbish, but it was interesting that they started preparing the ground at Burtonwood !

Been there a couple of times last week dropping off some ground works. Word off the guys on site is, it is Asda and Brake bros ! Just their word tho…

I’ve was told brake brothers too by the forkie in the Rochdale depot , that’s closing and Warrington & Runcorn also and getting merged into big place at burtonwood

my mate works for brakes and hes been told theyre moving to warrington next summer :bulb: not sure if its this site tho

Yeah my ex works for Brakes Runcorn and they’ve been told that a Warrington move is 99% certain. More info in the new year.

I got told last night that its definitely an ASDA Rdc and that Skem won’t be closing

Here’s some potential driver BS for you, however I saw this with my own eyes but haven’t said it anyone except my girlfriend…

Around 4 months ago I was fuelling the truck up at ASDA Skem and there were 5 Stobart people being shown around the Skem site. The reason I didn’t say anything was that I would be immediately be branded a BS’er haha. It is true though, I don’t know what they were doing there but they were there being shown around the site. I wouldn’t think it would be to do the transport for ASDA, in fact I know it wouldn’t, but maybe they are interested in a nice big chilled warehouse ! Skem apparantly isn’t big enough for ASDA anymore, however that may have been relieved somewhat by the moving of the netto’s (or ASDA SM’s) to Rochdale.

Anyway I know what I saw and it was definately Stobarts people. I asked at reception on my way out and was told they had been there all morning. A lot of old kit in all the NWest ASDA’s as too these days !

I have recently been doing agency work for ASDA and it has been announced to their staff that they are to build a new distribution centre on the Omega land at Burtonwood which will replace the old DHL site on dallam lane and maybe Goose green in wigan. As to who is going to run it is anyones guess- the new one in Rochdale is wincanton.

Asda are building something in Avonmouth allegedly, anyone know anything?

mike68:
Asda are building something in Avonmouth allegedly, anyone know anything?

Can’t tell you, it’s a secret.

That’s the new chill depot. They are closing Portbury CDC. At the moment Chepstow ADC is remaining open but it seems likely that this too will close at some point in the future and move to Avonmouth.

Was going through Aylesbury the other day and saw they were building another grotesque looking Morrisons Rdc like the one in Bridgwater. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Awful looking building.

Thetaff2:
Was going through Aylesbury the other day and saw they were building another grotesque looking Morrisons Rdc like the one in Bridgwater. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Awful looking building.

Think that’s the new Arla dairy :confused:

Asda Rochdale is Wincanton.
Dependant on who you speak to cant say whether Skem is staying or going.
Warrington has been looked at by Asda, but dont know on what scale or how developments have gone.
Suits and Hi Viz folk with clipboards have been on Stakehill.
Know for a fact Stobart Heywood are looking to move as its at bursting point, destination unknown.

oman5:
That’s the new chill depot. They are closing Portbury CDC. At the moment Chepstow ADC is remaining open but it seems likely that this too will close at some point in the future and move to Avonmouth.

I know a few lads who have worked as pickers there in Chepstow for a good few years I hope that ain’t the truth. :frowning:

clarkyboy:
my mate works for brakes and hes been told theyre moving to warrington next summer :bulb: not sure if its this site tho

They are moving up near winwick quay area of Warrington or so I heard, a mate of a mate works in the transport dept (Greg something), they’re moving from the Preston Brooke area or so Im led to believe.

Thetaff2:

oman5:

I know a few lads who have worked as pickers there in Chepstow for a good few years I hope that ain’t the truth. :frowning:

It is, but I’m sure there’ll still keep their jobs and commute over the bridge.

peewack654:
I have recently been doing agency work for ASDA and it has been announced to their staff that they are to build a new distribution centre on the Omega land at Burtonwood which will replace the old DHL site on dallam lane and maybe Goose green in wigan. As to who is going to run it is anyones guess- the new one in Rochdale is wincanton.

Hasn’t the asda DC in Warrington (old guiness/DHL site) only recently been built/taken over?

Tarrman:

peewack654:

Hasn’t the asda DC in Warrington (old guiness/DHL site) only recently been built/taken over?

No guiness plant is still there and the DHL building (where i work out of) is B&Q RDC, B&Q home delivery and also boots, there is a small part for amazon and there is another company moving in soon a well but i cant remember there name (something to do with biscuits iirc.

Ah right, so where’s the asda DC then? I know the area well but its been a while since I’ve explored round there.

Is it on the same road that runs behind tesco etc? Or on the new bit further up where royal mail is?