New and second hand prices for flagship trucks

A quick question, partly out of curiosity and partly for professional interest.

How much would you pay for a new FH16 700 or Scania 730 or any of the other manufactuers top power top spec motors with a 4x2 or 6x2 configeration?

And how much could you sell them for 2 or 3 years later assuming they are immaculate and low mileage.

And who’d buy them for general haulage work anyway?

Well the cheapest option is to get a signwriter to paint 700 or 730 on the side of the respective vehicle or if you have a fleet of thousands you might be looking at £85k or thereabouts,if you are a small operator expect you will have to pay for the big operator so I would think in the region of £100k then two years down the line,top o’ the head…£60k…£65k.Go on buy one you know our industry is a licence to print money you have to spend it.Just off on a trip now in my 800ch Magnum,cost second hand £40k five years ago now worth sod all.

Hi Muckles.My boss has just ordered 2 new FH16 660 Automatic 4 axle tippers at a cost of almost £180,000 per.these vehicles are used in a mine to transport iron ore within the mine area [35\40 ton per load]so are specially built.we have just sold one of the old trucks F16 620hp 4 yrs old,with app 250,000kms.for about £70,000.Mike

bloke who does my servicing has just paid 95k for a 2009 620 scania griffin 6x2 with all the bling

chaversdad:
bloke who does my servicing has just paid 95k for a 2009 620 scania griffin 6x2 with all the bling

So what on earth was the price new?

I’ve been told that an FH16 700 has a list price of around £140,000, but I’m not sure what you’d actually pay for one.
Like Armagedon said it would be cheaper if it was done with a deal for other trucks. But I doubt your mega big fleets would be interested in having a flagship truck for the price you could buy 2 fleet spec units.

Any idea how many of these they’ve sold in the UK and how many of them were for STGO work?

the last new 620 he bought was 2 years ago and i,m sure the price on that was £125k but then he adds another 10 grand of lights and eminox etc , he has 6 scanias, 4 are 620 griffin spec, 1 is a 580 ant the other is an old 530 used for shunting :open_mouth: then this new one he has just bought and all only run general haulage at 44tons

chaversdad:
the last new 620 he bought was 2 years ago and i,m sure the price on that was £125k but then he adds another 10 grand of lights and eminox etc , he has 6 scanias, 4 are 620 griffin spec, 1 is a 580 ant the other is an old 530 used for shunting :open_mouth: then this new one he has just bought and all only run general haulage at 44tons

What sort of rates are these people on to pay such big money?

A 660 special build 80 tonner with all the extras could have cost you £101k back in late 2008, and would nett you £64k in mid 2010 - so MMTM anyway :wink: Working for good customers with no middlemen make that kind of writedown no problem :bulb:

Special build tend to drop value quicker than normal spec. trucks as they’re more difficult to sell on 2nd hand than fleet trucks.

I think you would pay £140k new for a FH16 700 and R730. They tend to drop about £10-15k in value per year. Scania’s and Volvo’s hold there value much better than the other marque’s which is a consideration as if you punt for a new Renault/Iveco (60ish top line?) then you may be getting it much cheaper new but it will also be worth F all when you want to chop it in.

A top spec DAF/MAN would be £80-85k, wouldn’t be 16 litres or a V8 but would be 510-540 horses.

Not sure about Merc as they do a V8, would have thought it would sit between the two examples above maybe £85/90k.

I’ve found that buying the base V8 (R500) or base FH 16 is usually better than punting for the top spec motor, let’s face it, it’s just willy waving after 500hp. They look the same and only a small amount of peeps in the know can tell you were too tight or too shrewd to get the top end fire breather.

I think it’s better to spend that extra you would of spent on the bigger horse power on the little things like a bevelled ally infil, side skirts, dura brite ally wheels and the like, maybe a dvd/telly on the inside and such.

Not a fan of spot lights though. Too much in my opinion, particularly as most are never used anyway.

Thanks for the info Silver Surfer.
Seems to confirm what I’ve been told, personally I’d agree with you about 500 bhp being enough or in our case more than enough (28 tonnes all up.) 400 bhp would be enough.

Personally I’d agree with you get something a bit more basic and maybe spec a few well chosen extra.
Must be far easier to sell, than a 650 + motor with all the bells and whistles on it.

Of course that leads to my next Question how much is a more fleet spec’ed FH or Scania R series.
£70,000 £80,000, £90,000?

An R480 6x2 high line is about £105k so I’ve heard. Not as familiar with Volvo, they may be 10-15k behind Scania. I changed the price for DAF/MAN flagship above, just knock 10k off those prices for a more standard spec. DAF/MAN don’t really do a pimped up flagship version. DAF don’t have a V8 and the MAN V8 only comes in 4x2 left hook guise.

The bigger cab/bigger engine doesn’t add that much to the price really in comparison to the base value of the truck. The only exception to this is the R730 which does have a few extra techno wow’s such as super high pressure fuel injection so they’ve ramped the price right up for that. You’d have to be nuts plumping for a R730 rather than a R500 unless you were in heavy haulage or more money than sense which let’s face it would be a nice place to be!

i have just been quoted, fleet spec volvo FH 480 with under bunk fridge and air con, £76,500

MAN TG-X XLX fleet spec £64,500

DAF CF Skycab with aircon and under bunk fridge £65,500

Was the fh a globetrotter or the xl?

Beetie:
Was the fh a globetrotter or the xl?

sorry, should have made it more clear, the volvo was the FH480 GTXL

The MAN is tempting Shuttle, although I would say the Volvo would hold it’s value and is a better product.

You’d get an XF for £75k ish, i’m surprised you’ve included the CF.

Although I run a couple of 56 plate TGA’s myself and have had no major problems with them over the past couple of years, I still think there are small question marks over the reliability of the common rail engines.

I do like the TGX and I would probably still buy one if it was going to save me £10k from new but there would always be that small doubt at the back of my mind, fine whilst under warranty, but.

Least with MAN you can spec EGR rather than SCR on the other two, not a major factor though.

I’d spec the 16 speed manual with comfort shift from MAN and the 16 speed manual from DAF though. The romance with automatics is dead for me with the auto box in MAN’s and DAF’s not being too bad but not being too good either although the I -shift from Volvo is the best of the bunch by far.

MAN & DAF are the only two firms that offer a 4 over 4 box now, maybe Iveco as well, but.

A sad day when Scania dropped the 4 over 4 for the 3 over 3 in my opinion (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it), it’s what tipped me in to speccing first gen. opticruise. :unamused:

muckles:

How much would you pay for a new FH16 700 or Scania 730 or any of the other manufactuers top power top spec motors with a 4x2 or 6x2 configeration?

And how much could you sell them for 2 or 3 years later assuming they are immaculate and low mileage.

heres a 4 year old scania for sale… not even on alloy’s :open_mouth: :open_mouth: couple quid…
cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Scania-R620- … 25616f5f19

heres a nice 3 year old DAF for 12k cheaper :open_mouth:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-DAF-105-XF46 … 3a63120e39

drivers perspective id have scania over anything but 12grand cheaper for the daf and year newer?? you’d have to be nutts to spend the extra for the scania wouldnt you??

I really would not have expected a R620 to cost tens of thousands more than a R500, how do they justify the extra £££££, for a bigger turbo and intercooler?.

dbt:

muckles:

heres a 4 year old scania for sale… not even on alloy’s :open_mouth: :open_mouth: couple quid…
cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Scania-R620- … 25616f5f19

heres a nice 3 year old DAF for 12k cheaper :open_mouth:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-DAF-105-XF46 … 3a63120e39

drivers perspective id have scania over anything but 12grand cheaper for the daf and year newer?? you’d have to be nutts to spend the extra for the scania wouldnt you??

Looking at those two, why would you go for the Scania over the DAF?
12 grand buys a bit of fuel.

Or this one £22,000 less than the Scania :astonished:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAF-FTG-XF-105-46 … 4aa7f4c174

That 40k Daf looks a minter too, lose the spot lights and shes a beauty, mileage is slightly high though if it’s miles and not km’s. The Darley Ford one looks plain wrong. The Scanny looks well, lose the spots and the graphics but can’t really justify an extra 22k for the badge and the extra 160 horses.

he say’s the scania is mint, he could the of at least preped it before he took pics of it, mud in the drivers foot well and the wheels are a bit grubby. 12k extra for 2 extra cylinders, and something to boost the drivers ego :laughing: