New Actros Mirror Cams

youtu.be/JJo-GTECbaQ

So, what do people think of these? I suspect we will start seeing them in the next year.

I know there is going to be the usual “if it ain’t broke” responses, but I think they look quite impressive to be honest. Looks like they will help with blindsiding & help prevent those who don’t know where the back of their trailer is from threatening your windscreen wipers when pulling in.

I like the feature that it shortens or lengthens aswell as widen depending on the size of the trailer. You can only move a standard mirror out so far then you lose along door side.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

use them for a week and itl seem like they were always there.
no doubt strange at first with newbies adapting quicker than the old brigade.
handy to know who is outside the cab before opening the door in your skiddies going for a ■■■■ would be another plus point. :slight_smile:

Had to sit through this video on a CPC course.
The mirrors are featured in the videos, and that was posted in 2015.
I especially liked the colour of the interior of the truck. Cream.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i’m impressed. :sunglasses:

Been invited to take one for a spin next week so looking forward to seeing how these work. From what I’ve read so far I think they are a great idea.

I can’t see too many drawbacks of these apart from the dumbing down of the skill of blindsiding. The blue chip outfits & supermarkets in particular will be creaming themselves over the safety benefits of these for manoeuvring.

Fast forward 5 years or so and we will have threads such as “Do Royal Mail have manual mirrors” and stories of drivers refusing to take out units with manual mirrors to certain drops.

I’ve driven with these, and they are excellent.

The less said about the stupid giant smartphone dashboard the better, though.

GasGas:
The less said about the stupid giant smartphone dashboard the better, though.

On…

The contrary. I’m dying to know why driving with an iPad in front of you is a pants idea. :smiley:

Tuffnells have the cameras all around the vehicle ie one front back and one on each side of the body at the top.It is a good system as you get a 360 view ,the screen shows what looks like you are looking down on the veh from a satellite,so you have a super imposed cab roof and body ,in the middle of the screen and what is coming up from the rear n/s o/s and front the cameras are all joined up so it looks like a satellite pic ,it is impressive

Look useful.
I know technology can fail but so can mirrors on tree branches!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Looks like a great idea to me…what i would ask for is a camera over the back doors ( if it doesnt already have one ) and one over the fuel tank that can take pictures of the thieves…that would be a great selling point dont ya think.

mat79:
Look useful.
I know technology can fail but so can mirrors on tree branches!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

As I found out Monday coming from Glastonbury back to the M5 :unamused:

I’ve got a new actros.
Anything would be better than those great big gormless things that are hanging off the side atm.
They cover about a third of the side window :unamused:

Impressive.

Only downside I can see, if a camera or an electrical connection fails (and please don’t tell me they can’t) you’re immediately on stop; or maybe worse if it blows in the middle of a tricky manoeuvre or on the motorway.

commonrail:
I’ve got a new actros.
Anything would be better than those great big gormless things that are hanging off the side atm.
They cover about a third of the side window :unamused:

Nothing…

Beats the MAN for obscuring things behind the mirrors. Althought the Merc’s do cover a vast area of vision, the MAN can hide bikes, motorbikes, cars and if the conditions allow, full size vans.

I look even more ridiculous now as I rock back and forth at roundabouts now trying to see round the ■■■■ things.

Agreed

I can’t see my sat nav screen properly when the sun is shining so how will it perform in direct sunlight? You can still see whats in a mirror when its sunny.

Good point

Sidevalve:
Impressive.

Only downside I can see, if a camera or an electrical connection fails (and please don’t tell me they can’t) you’re immediately on stop; or maybe worse if it blows in the middle of a tricky manoeuvre or on the motorway.

On coaches being delivered now without mirrors they come with back up mirrors in the locker that slot into place. Wouldnt surprise me if that’s case here to begin with. You only need a basic mirror and arm to get you to workshop