New £100 pre-authorisation fee at petrol stations

Blimey! Has anybody come across these new £100 fees at Tesco or Sainsbury’s Pay-at-pump petrol stations? :open_mouth:

"The way we buy fuel at pay-at-pump petrol stations is changing - and it’s leaving some motorists frustrated.

The small £1 charge that drivers used to pay, to have their debit or credit card approved by forecourt payment stations, is gradually being scrapped in favour of a £100 pre-authorisation check."
Some drivers are complaining “I couldn’t work out why I was being charged so much! It’s been 7 days and they have still held an extra £58 which I’m waiting to get back” said one driver on facebook, while another explained - “My husband put £30 in and they held £100, took two days for the proper amount to be deducted and the remaining money to be credited again.”
lynnnews.co.uk/news/amp/…p-fee-9204579/

lancpudn:
Blimey! Has anybody come across these new £100 fees at Tesco or Sainsbury’s Pay-at-pump petrol stations? :open_mouth:

"The way we buy fuel at pay-at-pump petrol stations is changing - and it’s leaving some motorists frustrated.

The small £1 charge that drivers used to pay, to have their debit or credit card approved by forecourt payment stations, is gradually being scrapped in favour of a £100 pre-authorisation check."
Some drivers are complaining “I couldn’t work out why I was being charged so much! It’s been 7 days and they have still held an extra £58 which I’m waiting to get back” said one driver on facebook, while another explained - “My husband put £30 in and they held £100, took two days for the proper amount to be deducted and the remaining money to be credited again.”

If that is true it’s a ■■■■ liberty. :imp:

robroy:

lancpudn:

If that is true it’s a [zb] liberty. :imp:

It’s happening with some public EV chargers as well, Ionity have been deducting £69 on your contactless card for pre authorisation fees if you haven’t joined their scheme which carries a monthly fee, Some people have been waiting over a week to be reimbursed & some people have been charged the £69 fee multiple times if the charger doesn’t connect a handshake with the car first time & you have to start the process again :open_mouth:

I fill up at Sainsbury’s , and just push pay at kiosk button , by paying at pumps your just making another job redundant

This has been so for as long as I have driven my car to Spain and back at many stations.
As soon as your card is authorised there is a charge to your bank of 100€.You then fill up,say,60€.The difference of 40€ is credited to your bank usually a couple of days later.Why this happens i don’t know but the perpetrators get the credit for your money for as long as they sit on it.
It should be illegal.

The incoming Cash free society will cost us all,what an absolute rip off.
pay cash avoid this bs.

This approach has been common for decades in the hotel industry, both here and in Europe - Present your card at check-in and they pre-authorise an amount to cover your proposed stay and any drinkies you might consume from the mini-bar etc. Correct amount is charged when you check out and the bank then cancels the pre-auth amount.

The extra amount never goes into the merchant’s account - rather it remains “earmarked” by the bank or card company.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

^^^^ a world of difference from physically taking it from your account though, especially when coupled to someone on a tight budget who’ll undoubtedly incur fees for an unauthorised overdraft.

the maoster:
^^^^ a world of difference from physically taking it from your account though, especially when coupled to someone on a tight budget who’ll undoubtedly incur fees for an unauthorised overdraft.

^Exactly^ if your account is a bit light at the end of the month & you use your debit card to fuel up/ev charge you could unwittingly go into negative balance territory very easily.

If your bank balance is 50€ and you want to put in 40€ worth of fuel,the machine won’t accept the transaction because you don’t have the initial 100€ required.

Fair enough, but what happens 10 minutes later when that pesky €40 direct debit comes out?

If pre-authorising an extra 50 quid or so is going to push your account balance into the red, maybe it’s time to let a grown-up manage your finances.

Roymondo:
If pre-authorising an extra 50 quid or so is going to push your account balance into the red, maybe it’s time to let a grown-up manage your finances.

Wow! What a patronising and condescending comment. Climb down from your ivory tower and have a good long look at how many families in this country live on or below the poverty line.

Are all people people filling up at all hours during the night, that would explain it, otherwise in a normal time of day why would you give anyone your card to pre authorise for fuel, is it the same when you pay cash, you go in and say I want 50 quid and they say ok give us a 100 quid and ill give the balance when you come back in,
Mad or what, it is if you go with the flow

the maoster:

Roymondo:

Wow! What a patronising and condescending comment. Climb down from your ivory tower and have a good long look at how many families in this country live on or below the poverty line.

OK - maybe those drivers could forego the convenience of pay-at-pump and simply pay in the kiosk using cash or card instead? There is no automatic entitlement to enjoy every convenience going just because you think you ought to be able to.

Arguing semantics between ourselves will not change the “it is what it is” situation.

It will only get worse as the widespread cashless society become more n more.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Whilst this is no inconvenience to those who’ve got four figures in their current accounts at all times -
Consider the effect it will have on those with a limited budget/overdrawn balance…

Spend £20 on fuel, have £25 in your account, but you get charged for being overdrawn £75 for 3 days, before the double block is lifted, and your final balance is +£5.00
That’s 3 days interest on £75 overdrawn at around 40% APR interest on money you didn’t even spend!!

Hardly going to encourage more members of the public to go “cashless” now - is it?

rearaxle:
It will only get worse as the widespread cashless society become more n more.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Absolutely. For the past year or so we’ve been subjected to a drip feed of (amongst other things) that cash =bad and we must use contactless when possible, so the brainwashing kicks in, people use, as encouraged the pay at the pump option to avoid human contact and all of a sudden they’re incurring bank charges that they don’t deserve and can I’ll afford! :smiling_imp:

Winseer:
Whilst this is no inconvenience to those who’ve got four figures in their current accounts at all times -
Consider the effect it will have on those with a limited budget/overdrawn balance…

Spend £20 on fuel, have £25 in your account, but you get charged for being overdrawn £75 for 3 days, before the double block is lifted, and your final balance is +£5.00
That’s 3 days interest on £75 overdrawn at around 40% APR interest on money you didn’t even spend!!

Hardly going to encourage more members of the public to go “cashless” now - is it?

+1