New £100 pre-authorisation fee at petrol stations

Roymondo:
If pre-authorising an extra 50 quid or so is going to push your account balance into the red, maybe it’s time to let a grown-up manage your finances.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

If you are referring to me young fella,I posted a hypothetical simplified situation as an illustration.From your position on top of your ivory tower I’m surprised it went over your head.

Gidders:

Roymondo:
If pre-authorising an extra 50 quid or so is going to push your account balance into the red, maybe it’s time to let a grown-up manage your finances.

If you are referring to me young fella,I posted a hypothetical simplified situation as an illustration.From your position on top of your ivory tower I’m surprised it went over your head.

I was referring to the general case of “you” rather than any specific individual. But on the subject of missed points, this whole £99 pre-authorisation requirement has been brought in by the card companies (not the retailers) specifically to help customers on a tight budget avoid the situation of having insufficient funds to pay for the fuel they have drawn. Tesco (and presumably the other operators) already have the facility on their pay-at-pumps to preselect a specific amount which should allow those on a tight budget to tailor the pre-auth amount accordingly.

You fellows are being ripped. We have a number of 24hr, unmanned fuel outlets. The protocol is, swipe your card, select the desired amount (as little as you like), pump fuel, it cuts off at the nominated amount, reswipe card and the machine takes the amount on the pump, if you only take less than the amount nominated, the balance is back in your account before you’re back behind the wheel.
If you choose the pay at the pump option at a manned site, pump fuel as normal then swipe the card, it deducts the amount on the bowser.
There are some sites that demand prepayment after dark, these are sites where drive offs are common.

Star down under.:
You fellows are being ripped. We have a number of 24hr, unmanned fuel outlets. The protocol is, swipe your card, select the desired amount (as little as you like), pump fuel, it cuts off at the nominated amount, reswipe card and the machine takes the amount on the pump, if you only take less than the amount nominated, the balance is back in your account before you’re back behind the wheel.
If you choose the pay at the pump option at a manned site, pump fuel as normal then swipe the card, it deducts the amount on the bowser.
There are some sites that demand prepayment after dark, these are sites where drive offs are common.

To be fair, that’s quite close to our current system (albeit without the need to swipe and reswipe). The changes to our system that have prompted the outrage in this thread will make very little difference. They are rather neatly explained here visa.co.uk/pay-with-visa/pay-at-pump.html

Unfortunately, some participants on this board are wont to react to stories originating in the popular press without looking at the facts behind the articles.

simple solution too this. dont use tesco or sainsburys for your fuel

scotstrucker:

Just been reading more about this Skulduggery.

"They are making money on your interest.

Think about it, if they held £40 from every £100 sale across the UK.

Currently its accepted that base daily interest in the UK is 0.1%

So that £60 spent makes them 40p.

Or if you only buy £10 then that makes 90p

So that sounds like about nothing right?

UK average is about 17000 litres of petrol & diesel a day

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … istics.pdf

So let’s say a Tesco sells 17000 litres per station a day…

And they pull £100 each time…

That’s £1.7 million quid. And if they return even 90% of that as they where all £10 sales each time as an example, they will have still managed to make 0.1 of £153,000 purely on interest alone. Per station. Per day.

That folks, is disgusting. They have over 600 UK stations."

lancpudn:

scotstrucker:

That’s £1.7 million quid. And if they return even 90% of that as they where all £10 sales each time as an example, they will have still managed to make 0.1 of £153,000 purely on interest alone. Per station. Per day.

Let me guess - this “reading” you’ve been doing was the outpourings of Karen on Facebook, wasn’t it?

First off - Tesco only get the money for the fuel you have bought, the other £30, £50 or whatever never leaves your account and Tesco don’t get it. It is “reserved” by the card company until Tesco tell them the true amount - which normally happens within a minute or two of you completing your fuel-up anyway.

Secondly, base interest rate is 0.1% per annum, not per day. If Tesco were to hold onto your £60 (which they don’t - see above) for a week they would earn around £0.001 (Yes, that’s right, 1/10 of a penny) in interest.

This is why I suggested earlier that some folks would be best advised to let a grown-up deal with their finances.

Roymondo:

lancpudn:

scotstrucker:

Let me guess - this “reading” you’ve been doing was the outpourings of Karen on Facebook, wasn’t it?

First off - Tesco only get the money for the fuel you have bought, the other £30, £50 or whatever never leaves your account and Tesco don’t get it. It is “reserved” by the card company until Tesco tell them the true amount - which normally happens within a minute or two of you completing your fuel-up anyway.

Secondly, base interest rate is 0.1% per annum, not per day. If Tesco were to hold onto your £60 (which they don’t - see above) for a week they would earn around £0.001 (Yes, that’s right, 1/10 of a penny) in interest.

This is why I suggested earlier that some folks would be best advised to let a grown-up deal with their finances.

Hey don’t you go confusing me with someone who gives a racoons ring piece what you have to say you miserable get.

I don’t think I need to confuse you at all - You appear to do it perfectly well unaided.