Neville Charrold Trailers

hi,
sorry to confuse everyone :blush: ,there was,i think :question: a george neville, also.i think they made the multi ribbed u bodies that were popular years ago with firms like hoveringham.
regards andrew.

I hope this is what you are looking for,a couple of pics of the Neville Charrold “Nimrod” tipping trailer-the steel bodied version was called the “Ratesaver”

Muckaway-Neville Charrold was sold to SDC in 1994
Pete359-Apparently many years ago the Neville family sold the family business called Neville Industries,which then became Neville Charrold and Geoge Neville started up on his own to make the George Neville “Samson” range of bodies.

Thanks Tim C. There’s some good detail in those large pictures…cheers

Hiya …when at buxton we had a Ex thomas ward tipper, if it was a neville i’am not sure but all the bogie
stayed on the floor and the tipper pivioted between the axels. that was very stable you
saw drivers tip scrap and drive off as the trailer body came down no problem. we had a hoyner
at Malcom Harrisons that did good sevice for a few years.that tipped on the rear axle.
John

Once picked up a stepframe high cube from the makers early 80s, but it was a standard design tipper, think the makers were based in Mansfield.

not a tipper but these maffi tr were manufactured by neviles at Mansfield under licence

Im sure they used to be called neville charnwood when hoveringham gravel used them.

nigelhunt:
0Im sure they used to be called neville charnwood when hoveringham gravel used them.

I think Charnwood were the Foden dealers from Shepshed,Leicestershire

3300John:
Hiya …when at buxton we had a Ex thomas ward tipper, if it was a neville i’am not sure but all the bogie
stayed on the floor and the tipper pivioted between the axels. that was very stable you
saw drivers tip scrap and drive off as the trailer body came down no problem. we had a hoyner
at Malcom Harrisons that did good sevice for a few years.that tipped on the rear axle.
John

Possibly one of these John

Yes TIM i think your right.It was charnwood trucks just off the A46,newark side of thurmaston.

Hiya …yes Tim thats the same idea i think ours had higher sides…
the U shaped bodies like on the hoveringham trailer was know as mineral bodies
John

There was another firm made similar trailers Dempster Dumper was the name, I was once told some years ago,60s that it was owned by Neville, ? RMC,? Lima & Trinadad had quite a lot of them.

Re Charrold selling up in1994, that ties in with our last Charrolds being on N regs. Later on p andr plates were SDCs before we went to Charlton groundhog type ones, apparently because SDC stopped making steel bodies. I’m sure that the Charrold name has recently been reintroduced…

As TimC said the second pic shows the Ratesaver or in this case a Super Ratesaver for 30/32 Ton, the Ratesaver being an earlier 28 Ton version built by the then Neville Industries, the Super produced in 1970, before them they built a similar trailer but the chassis stayed put as mentioned above. I heard the Ratesavers suffered from stress to the axle torsion bars, understandable really, in the early stages. Neville also built the unique Uni-Dump type trailer mainly used in Quarry, Salt and China Clay haulage, this type had the stabilizer arms on the outside of the short ribbed body and drew the trailer towards the unit as it tipped. Welford also built this trailer called the Maxitrail with payloads of 16 Ton at 24 GCW.
Haven’t got a pic of those handy but built a model below. Franky.

Aye Franky, I remember tye Lima & Trinadad had some AECs with that type of trailer running out of their depot at St Peters, 69/70s, Regards Larry

Larry let’s not forget our mutual friend Les who still uses a Neville Nimrod :wink: by the way I think he’s taking his ERF up to Brunton tomorrow are you going?

Thanks for this thread, as Franky knows, I’m building a model one at the moment too, as in this peter Davis photo in Jan '09 Classic and commercials.

Mack is almost done but I was having trouble understanding the underside of the trailer until Frank explained it but those photos are brilliant TimC. If anyone has any other pics of the type used by RJ Norman I would be very grateful. :smiley:

those neville unidump trailers of limmer and trinidad were probably built for buxton limestone , who were absorbed by limmer and trinidad jn the early 70s . we had them on aggregate deliveries to various concrete plants . they had an extra brake in the cab that worked on the trailer axle only , so that the unit was pulled back when tipping , very handy for tipping on hoppers . the units were ergo leyland badgers with the 600 engine , cheers , dave

rigsby:
those neville unidump trailers of limmer and trinidad were probably built for buxton limestone , who were absorbed by limmer and trinidad jn the early 70s . we had them on aggregate deliveries to various concrete plants . they had an extra brake in the cab that worked on the trailer axle only , so that the unit was pulled back when tipping , very handy for tipping on hoppers . the units were ergo leyland badgers with the 600 engine , cheers , dave

Hiya…a up rigsby are you alright mate…Sam Salt came to Astle park this year we had a good chat…
do you remember Davem Plant fron leek they had 3 Bedford KM.s with single axle dump bodies i think
they run to Hughes concret pipes in Leek from toply pike
John

I hope this may be some help Voyager