Neville Charrold Trailers

Found this earlier…This isn’t my picture…
Neville Charrold Tanker.jpg
It certainly looks like a Neville Charrold… I would have liked to see one of these in action, I’ll bet it was a sight to see (especially the drivers face on a windy day).
The tractor unit looks a good 'un, anyone know who it belonged to?

Thanks for everyones’ help, finally got the model finished

This is the photo that started it all

and here are some tasters - need a bigger backdrop! (actually I’m planning on taking some outdoors to match the magazine pic)

Thats great voyager,nice work.Tuesday,Blend, Sheffield to Aldwarke as many as you can. :wink:
Regards Mike.

voyager125:

and here are some tasters - need a bigger backdrop! (actually I’m planning on taking some outdoors to match the magazine pic)

that looks stunning, credit to you, i am just on with trying to make a 1:50 scale r j norman, i will be looky if it is half as good as this. so do you think if i give you my email, you would be as kind as to take some flat photo’s of you sine righting so that i could get some deccals made for mine? thanks again, richard

Hi Richard, not a problem. I have recently deleted the scans I did of my artwork or you could have had them! I’ll try and get some reasonable pics for you

pm me your email!!

Have a look at these Neville Dumptrailers and Ratesavers trailers off my flickr stream,

flickr.com/photos/75262259@N … otostream/

We had several Neville tipping trailers. As has been mentioned, the rear lamp cluster was mounted almost flush with, and in a cut-out of the rear member, protected by four vertical lengths of approx. 3/8" bar. Four hinges up each door frame, equal-width doors with the usual full width cranked bar at the bottom, secured by slipping a ring over the cranked end on the offside. There was also a centre fixing involving a similar bar running vertically on one door, which when turned clamped the two doors together at the top, with the more common “cam & socket” arrangement at the lower end.
As for the turntable area, we used to insert a chunk of timber (or whatever came to hand) between the rear extremity of the 5th wheel and the chassis member in order to keep the thing more or less level until the tractor unit was reversed under the rubbing plate, There were two pins on the rubbing plate which were inserted before dropping the trailer. If you forgot the pins you had to fetch the forklift to raise it up off the ground- cue shouts and whistles from the assembled onlookers!
We used the trailers for coal and scrap metal, for which they proved ideal- the cab-operated parking brake was brilliant for our work. Personally, I had a longer, but similar, trailer based on a Hoynor chassis which was much the same idea.
Don’t know if any of this waffling will help.

this is a short version, pics taken when blasting this summer

road-ranger:

voyager125:

Thats a great model mate, I remember these wagons coming past my grandads old F86, they where flyers, Dont think they was orange and yellow though? im pretty sure they was orange and like a lime green colour?

Not my photo,just copied from somewhere,same colours,I cant remember them in green.

Hard to show in a photo, but like above

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye Franky, I remember tye Lima & Trinadad had some AECs with that type of trailer running out of their depot at St Peters, 69/70s, Regards Larry

Yes they had 5, my dad drove one of them, new in 1970. XTN597H

bowserman:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye Franky, I remember tye Lima & Trinadad had some AECs with that type of trailer running out of their depot at St Peters, 69/70s, Regards Larry

Can you remember Harry Laws (RIP) He left Shorties at St Peters to go there he lived in Janet Street just up the road from St.Peters. Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

bowserman:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Can you remember Harry Laws (RIP) He left Shorties at St Peters to go there he lived in Janet Street just up the road from St.Peters. Regards Larry.

Yes I do. He used to wear a cloth cap all the time. One of the other drivers was Tommy Avison, who was my dads pal.

I fact, I seem to remember Harry worked at Thomas Clements the Builders in Jesmond on the skip wagon for while. I served my time there as a plant fitter.

Pity no one has any Limmer photos though, would have brought back some happy memories for me.

Does anyone out there in Trucknet land have any photo’s or drawings of these trailers. I think you either love em or loath em as they had a tendancy to tip over if not treated with respect, but I think they were very well designed ( I’m speaking in the past tense as I haven’t seen any for years) and the firms that I know that had them don’t have them any longer. I presume that they made a range of differing sizes and weights but I really don’t know. The only ones I’ve seen were the artic trailers that hinged in the middle when tipping, as used by firms like George & Harold Read that mainly used them on scrap metal to places like Alpha Steel at Newport, South Wales… Cheers

Me.Paul.101:
Does anyone out there in Trucknet land have any photo’s or drawings of these trailers. I think you either love em or loath em as they had a tenancy to tip over if not treated with respect, but I think they were very well designed ( I’m speaking in the past tense as I haven’t seen any for years) and the firms that I know that had them don’t have them any longer. I presume that they made a range of differing sizes and weights but I really don’t know. The only ones I’ve seen were the artic trailers that hinged in the middle when tipping, as used by firms like George & Harold Read that mainly used them on scrap metal to places like Alpha Steel at Newport, South Wales… Cheers

hi,
you don’t mean neville charrold do you :question: i can remember those.
regards andrew.

Maybe, I’ve only ever called them Neville trailers. perhaps I should have stuck with that. Someone else told me the ‘Chandler’ bit, but as I didn’t know that before, I went with that. I know nothing… So you say they are called ‘neville charrold’. thanks for that…Cheers

Me.Paul.101:
Does anyone out there in Trucknet land have any photo’s or drawings of these trailers. I think you either love em or loath em as they had a tenancy to tip over if not treated with respect, but I think they were very well designed ( I’m speaking in the past tense as I haven’t seen any for years) and the firms that I know that had them don’t have them any longer. I presume that they made a range of differing sizes and weights but I really don’t know. The only ones I’ve seen were the artic trailers that hinged in the middle when tipping, as used by firms like George & Harold Read that mainly used them on scrap metal to places like Alpha Steel at Newport, South Wales… Cheers

When I was a kid and was at work with my dad at D & A Trasport Longton. they had one in the 70s and god did it fall over lol. They then made it a 3 axle and then guss what? Well ■■■ fell over again and again. Driver put the trailer brake on in the cab and then it pull the unit back and got on bad ground and over it fell.

Peter

We used to have Charrold tipper bodies: they were great, light and had excellent dropdown ladders to get in and clean out debris. Aren’t they now SDC?