Neville Charrold Trailers

Peter Wells:

Me.Paul.101:
Does anyone out there in Trucknet land have any photo’s or drawings of these trailers. I think you either love em or loath em as they had a tenancy to tip over if not treated with respect, but I think they were very well designed ( I’m speaking in the past tense as I haven’t seen any for years) and the firms that I know that had them don’t have them any longer. I presume that they made a range of differing sizes and weights but I really don’t know. The only ones I’ve seen were the artic trailers that hinged in the middle when tipping, as used by firms like George & Harold Read that mainly used them on scrap metal to places like Alpha Steel at Newport, South Wales… Cheers

When I was a kid and was at work with my dad at D & A Trasport Longton. they had one in the 70s and god did it fall over lol. They then made it a 3 axle and then guss what? Well ■■■ fell over again and again. Driver put the trailer brake on in the cab and then it pull the unit back and got on bad ground and over it fell.

Peter

Go on Google and type in D&A transport Longton and you will see the photo of one that was allways falling over Lol behind a MK2 Atkinson.
Peter

Thanks for all the help, model coming along!!

More photo’s of the model please…Cheers

Not got much further with the trailer yet (just some fiddly bits like the triangular plates) so I’ll post more pics when it gets a bit further. In the meantime here is the Mack up to now…

Looking good. Loving the weathered rusty look on the bumper (or is it really rusting away?.. should get that seen to…). I prefer the Conventional Mack to any others. Sounds more like a truck when you say it…MACK.
A few years back I had an ERTL model of an International Transtar Eagle 11 which I thought was a good model cause of all the detail and the steerable wheels, haven’t seen one for sale in ages…Cheers for the photo’s and good luck with the build, hope to see more soon…

Lawrence Dunbar:

Frankydobo:
Aye Franky, I remember tye Lima & Trinadad had some AECs with that type of trailer running out of their depot at St Peters, 69/70s, Regards Larry

Larry when I worked at Hodgson’s (later Lex Tillotson) the AEC distributor on Benton Rd, we had a couple of lovely brand new Mercury Ergo’s in with those dump trailers, they later gave me the inspiration for the model but I’ve tried to rack my brains over the years to remember what the livery was and you know it could well have been Limmer and Trinidad now that you mention it. I chose Tarmac in the end for the model as I presumed they could well have had them also. Limmers would have been a nice one to do all the same, maybe next time! St Peters eh, where I was born too! Cheers Franky.

The Lima livery was Green,the depot was on the left as you headed for Walker Rd, Near the low bridge, A lad that worked at Shorties left & went work for them, Harry Laws was his name, they used to load red gravel from Harden Red Stone Quarry,at Biddlestone, & take to their Tar Plants, there was a one at Blaydon in those days… I also remember TT.Walker having a couple with Bedford TUs. Regards Larry

Hi, look here for the livery, Foden S24 Limmer and Trinidad asphalt tipper-HOR203E | Flickr
a fantastic restored example.

My dad Les Wilson used to work for Limmer and Trinidad and drove one of the AEC’s. I can even remember the registration, XTN897H.He was based at St Peters before they moved up to Blaydon Sand Quarry, then crossed the road when they were taken over by Tarmac.

Also, can anyone remember Val de Travers, they also operated these trailers too.

I can even remember Harry Laws who worked with dad, he always wore a cloth cap.
I can also remember on a couiple of occasions going to Tillotsons in the wagon.

Here is an example of the Dumptrailer which was insulated for asphalt work, here on for Briggs Amasco. Credit to BonkeyDollocks for these on his Tarmac Tippers thread. I seem to remember that the insulated version was called a Pavertrailer, but I have been known to be wrong.

Nice link Bowserman, that AEC your Dad drove for Limmer & Trinidad could well have been one of those I PDI’d but more interesting for me at the time ‘got me backside on the drivers seat’, the dates would be about the right time for the reg numbers you mention. The good thing about working in a dealers was working on new vehicles, I can still recall the smell of a new AEC cab interior, should have been bottled! Cheers Franky.

i drove those dumptrailers for 2 firms in the early 70s . buxton limestone had them pulled by ergo leyland badgers , they were a ■■■■■ to reverse , no power steering then , but had a separate air handbrake for the trailer which made tipping easier . brs contracts had them , slightly longer wheelbase working out of ici tarmac plant at tunstead quarry . they were useless on the pavers , too short on the rear end . they went back to neville’s at mansfield several times for modifications to extend the body . they also had rear wings on hinges , so they didn’t get ripped off on the machines . cheers , dave

Hi Franky, I am sure it would have been, they only had 4 at St Peters, all H reg. I remember they had a far better cab trim than the Albions that Limmer had, apart from the dreadful air powered windscreen wipers! Fun illy enough I am just over the road from the old St Peters plant writing this.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.969833,-1.580707

I have got a bit further with my model of the RJ Norman truck though I have made a boo boo with the angles of the ram :imp:

Does anyone know what the back would look like? Doors, hinges, lock and tail lights etc. Fab thread :smiley:

That’s looking good Voyager, I’m not sure about the rear doors, might just have been the traditional tipper type swinging from the top, the pics I’ve got don’t show this clearly but someone might know, lights were probably the ubiquitous Rubbolite Orange cone indicator, rectangular central reflector and the Red stop and tail cup shape fitted into the rubber housing, I’m sure one of the aftermarket guys do these if you don’t want to scratch them. Keep going it will be nice when finished although I’m not sure if you will get it on the TMW Forum site as it seems to be having problems.

Bowserman, did a quick check of your google map, where exactly was the L & T works. I was born and lived in Walbrook Terrace, it ran from Glasshouse St, west to east parralel to Walker Rd and Gibb St was opposite on the other side of the rail line, all gone on the modern map but probably where the road into the Incinerator works is now. Happy days Franky.

St Peters plant was just under the (now gone) bridge on Glasshouse St on the right. British Engines have built on it now.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.041001,-1.603188

Just thought I would show I have made some progress on my model…

Hiya voyager…i used to run with the normans lads out of BIS kings lynn on the sand job, they was running barnsley,
i was loading for west brom…the lorries i followed had the rear lights set in the back cross member with vertical rods
on a plate protecting the lenses (as in jail) ha ha. i can’nt think what the flaps was like, i’am sure they did’nt
have any type of mudguards…i like the way you’ve proped up the rubbing plate, we had a hoyoner, if you didnt put the
clips under a piece of angle, when pulling from under the trailer the rubbing plate and pin smashed into the ground. SOD.
John

browns got this tipper of rj normons.

img003.jpg

That’s a brilliant photo Bri! Don’t suppose you have a higher res version? Trying to make out the 5th wheel/rubbing plate detail…

HOPE THIS IS OK

img003.jpg

SORRY NOT WORKED :frowning:

Thanks for trying :sunglasses: