Never seen this before!

Hooked up to me trailer in Sainsburys this morning, went to wind up legs and look

No handle just a couple of buttons for up and down :smiley: How cool was that? :smiley: It excited me anyway :laughing:

Iā€™ve not seen that before either bug, and itā€™s not just you, I love gadgets as well. As my wife says, ā€œlittle things please little mindsā€ :smiley:

bugcos:
Hooked up to me trailer in Sainsburys this morning, went to wind up legs and look

No handle just a couple of buttons for up and down :smiley: How cool was that? :smiley: It excited me anyway :laughing:

This is the future (I hope), next step will be a wi-fi button in the cab.
Just think,no more suzies to tangle and tear,or grease on your clothing. A transmitter in the cab and a receiver on the trailer :smiley:
Hmmmm,but where would the power for the trailer come from? A lead? Oh well back to the drawing board! :frowning: If only Tesla could have proved his theory!

we used to have those on the dairycrest trailers in newport years ago until some bright spark dropped one without lowering the legs and lost a whole trailer of glass milk bottles full of fresh orange juice :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

welshboyinspain:
we used to have those on the dairycrest trailers in newport years ago until some bright spark dropped one without lowering the legs and lost a whole trailer of glass milk bottles full of fresh orange juice :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So? Where does this go? Have they been banned/prohibited cos one bloke stuffed up? He could just have well forgotten to wind the handle. so lets get rid of the handle too! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Their attitude,not mine :smiley:

One of the main 5th wheel/coupling manufacturerā€™s ā€œJOSTā€ have been trying to get a fully automated coupling system ā€˜type approvedā€™ for a number of years now. I would think that the big concerns like the supermarkets and logistic providers are possibly the only oneā€™s who are given the the kit to try out and test. This is the only link I can find at the moment but Iā€™m sure there has been more posted on Roadtransport.com over the last 12mths; http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2008/10/08/131891/jost-auto-coupling-wins-award.html

Regards
Dave Penn

Fixed the broken web linkā€¦Colingl

Dunno then?:

welshboyinspain:

So? Where does this go? Have they been banned/prohibited cos one bloke stuffed up? He could just have well forgotten to wind the handle. so lets get rid of the handle too! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Their attitude,not mine :smiley:

he said he thought because he couldnā€™t find the handle it came down automatically :open_mouth: but because they lost a bit of money on the produce they said was better to return to the old system rather than just train every new driver or agency driver :confused: :confused:
good system but not as quick as the handle

Thanks for sorting that out, Colingl, it usually comes up in the blue when I;ve done a copy and paste to a link before but didnā€™t this time :blush: :blush: so wasnā€™t sure how to put it right :question: :wink: :slight_smile:
Regards
Dave Penn;

davepenn54:
One of the main 5th wheel/coupling manufacturerā€™s ā€œJOSTā€ have been trying to get a fully automated coupling system ā€˜type approvedā€™ for a number of years now. I would think that the big concerns like the supermarkets and logistic providers are possibly the only oneā€™s who are given the the kit to try out and test. This is the only link I can find at the moment but Iā€™m sure there has been more posted on Roadtransport.com over the last 12mths; http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2008/10/08/131891/jost-auto-coupling-wins-award.html

Regards
Dave Penn

There has been an automatic system out since before I can remember. Scammel semi-automatic coupling it was called. To uncouple, all you did was pull a lever in the cab and pull away. The lever would uncouple the trailer and the wheels would just fold down from under the trailer as you pulled away.
You still had to get out and sort your susies though.

P&O used to have a system that used to fold up the legs years ago. All you did was connect the red airline and they folded up, the problem was that you had to drop the trl low so that as you backed under it lifted the feet from the floor or it wouldnt work.Didnt last long as an idea before the legs started to fold up with weight placed on them or air leaks taking their toll.

i did agency work for sainsburys about 6 years ago and they had a few trailers with the box on the legsā€¦its air operatedā€¦not electric if i remember correctly :slight_smile:

"There has been an automatic system out since before I can remember. Scammel semi-automatic coupling it was called. To uncouple, all you did was pull a lever in the cab and pull away. The lever would uncouple the trailer and the wheels would just fold down from under the trailer as you pulled away.
You still had to get out and sort your susies though.george3 "

With the BR Scarabs,did not everything couple up automatically?
I saw these motors in the 50,s at Victoria,they never dithered,they went under a trailer,the legs folded up and they were on their way. Somehow?

easy
2 blocks of wood 1 under each foot, lower suspension ,trailor brake on, disconnect and pull out
on my trailor alternative is winding legs down (372) turns cos 1 very very slowwwwwwwwwwwwww gear

no contest :wink:

often wondered about the scammell systemā€¦ it seemed so easy ā€¦ never had to worry about dropping the trailerā€¦ (not that i have ever did that :blush: )ā€¦

wonder why it was completly dropped if you pardon the pun for the universal fith wheel that we all knowā€¦ā– ā– ?.. sure a few guys on here had planty experiance with the old systemā€¦ was it really that easy to useā€¦ā– ā– 

george3:

davepenn54:

Regards
Dave Penn

There has been an automatic system out since before I can remember. Scammel semi-automatic coupling it was called. To uncouple, all you did was pull a lever in the cab and pull away. The lever would uncouple the trailer and the wheels would just fold down from under the trailer as you pulled away.

Your absolutely right george3 the Scammel Coupling was still in widespread use when I got started in the haulage game but Iā€™m sure the intoduction of the ā€˜Fifth Wheelā€™ and higher gross weights put an end to it.

The auto coupling that JOST have in development is a ā€˜Femaleā€™ box of tricks that sits under the fifth wheel and connects to a ā€˜maleā€™ box of tricks fitted somewhere along the rubbing plate on the trailer. The main selling points of this configuration from JOST have been :-

1. H&S Driver never has to leave the cab when coupling - uncoupling, everything is done electronically, air, electrics and landing legs, and is monitored on screens in the cab with fail safe devices not allowing any movement of vehicle unless all systems are ā€˜Greenā€™ :laughing: :laughing:

2. Time saving for the company as it now takes a driver ā€˜ā– ā– ā– ā€™ mins to manualy uncouple & couple up to the the trailer with the auto system it will take the driver ā€˜ā– ā– ā– ā€™ mins less to do the procedure :unamused: Now multiply that by 100 drivers having to do that 3 times a day and ā€˜BIG COMPANYā€™ will have saved itself a lot of minutes over a week, month, YEAR :unamused: :wink: :wink:

Check out the JOST website Iā€™m sure it will give you more up to date details than I was able to do in the link that I originally posted.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Ark-Angel:
P&O used to have a system that used to fold up the legs years ago. All you did was connect the red airline and they folded up, the problem was that you had to drop the trl low so that as you backed under it lifted the feet from the floor or it wouldnt work.Didnt last long as an idea before the legs started to fold up with weight placed on them or air leaks taking their toll.

think they fitted those because a lot got damaged by shunters going
on and off the ferries and i think there was a way of winding
the legs manually as well to make up any difference in height
if needed.

Phil Hanleys had an ice liner trailer on there brakes contract to highbridge with this set up :smiley: only 1 they had tho :frowning:

davepenn54:

george3:

davepenn54:

Regards
Dave Penn

Your absolutely right george3 the Scammel Coupling was still in widespread use when I got started in the haulage game but Iā€™m sure the intoduction of the ā€˜Fifth Wheelā€™ and higher gross weights put an end to it.

The auto coupling that JOST have in development is a ā€˜Femaleā€™ box of tricks that sits under the fifth wheel and connects to a ā€˜maleā€™ box of tricks fitted somewhere along the rubbing plate on the trailer. The main selling points of this configuration from JOST have been :-

1. H&S Driver never has to leave the cab when coupling - uncoupling, everything is done electronically, air, electrics and landing legs, and is monitored on screens in the cab with fail safe devices not allowing any movement of vehicle unless all systems are ā€˜Greenā€™ :laughing: :laughing:

2. Time saving for the company as it now takes a driver ā€˜ā– ā– ā– ā€™ mins to manualy uncouple & couple up to the the trailer with the auto system it will take the driver ā€˜ā– ā– ā– ā€™ mins less to do the procedure :unamused: Now multiply that by 100 drivers having to do that 3 times a day and ā€˜BIG COMPANYā€™ will have saved itself a lot of minutes over a week, month, YEAR :unamused: :wink: :wink:

Check out the JOST website Iā€™m sure it will give you more up to date details than I was able to do in the link that I originally posted.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Iā€™ll be kin amazed if the few minutes the josh system would save has any benefits after the initial cost of the system, multiplied by the maintenance, break downs and down time caused by not being able to move due to system lock-down over a blown fuse or sumut. :unamused:

All I can think of, as to why anyone would want to develop this system, is for robotic pre-programed no-driver tugs, operating in near future mega transport hubs were no driver goes further than 4hrs away from his own operating hub and back. No doubt soon to be followed by robotic no-driver transport drones following predetermined routes guided by kin radar or sumfink along our highways and byways. :cry: :cry: :cry:

used to have them on 6 nissan trailers that ran inside the nissan works delivering metal body parts to the plant when i worked as a fitter,they were new with k reg tractor units,so that would have made them about 1992.only difference was it was a knob and not buttons,but they werent that fast,pointless i thought.

Iā€™m in total agreement with you george3, technology might have made the job easier and the trucks of today are certainly a lot better and more driver friendly than they ever were :question: But were does it end :question: :question:

The contol has almost been taken away from the ā€˜driverā€™ and I think that in another 20yrs; trucks will all be controlled automatically from some kind of central hub by someone who has qualifications on a Playstation 2000 or Windows IE 200000 :unamused: :laughing: and no need for anyone to be sat in the cab :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;