Network rail attacks stupid lorry drivers

aol.co.uk/news/2018/02/01/n … r-bri/amp/

Some people shouldn’t hold a licence at all, never mind drive a HGV.

I for one whole heartedly agree with network rail and would go further by saying these retards should be sterilised!
Stupid breeds stupid. [emoji57]

I think, NR are being OTT, I mean fancy putting bridges across roads. Then, having the cheek to have them less than 15ft 8in … it’s not a drivers job to know the height of a vehicle … nor is it the job of a driver to look at height on the bridge, they should disregard any warning of a low bridge …

Cheek of network rail

Perhaps…

It’s time to look at banning drivers for 3 months or so.

What happens to drivers who cause all this mess? Are they fined, points on their licence or no action taken?

This still has me baffled as to why it keeps happening.

yourhavingalarf:
Perhaps…

What happens to drivers who cause all this mess? Are they fined, points on their licence or no action taken?

^
This
A ban would certainly make the bridge demolition crew think again…oh hang on though, maybe not…

I had mates who spent more time asleep than working according to them on the railways , so if they have to get and do a bit of bridge mending it won’t do them any harm I’d of thought , or stand the bone idle ■■■■■■■ in front of a bridge with a height stick / tape measure :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Yep it’s sheer stupidity and there’s no excuse for it. It just dr8vers using shortcuts (not saving miles kind if shortcuts lol) by not having the right equipment or gumption about them.

Having said that… like Dozy I also have mates who work on the tracks and they spend most of their time in the cab playing cards so whike I do agree with Network Rail they aren’t exactly without faults themselves…

toonsy:
Having said that… like Dozy I also have mates who work on the tracks and they spend most of their time in the cab playing cards so whike I do agree with Network Rail they aren’t exactly without faults themselves…

NWR have many faults, but your not seeing the full picture, yes we do play cards and have a fair bit of down time on our shifts. NWR want us on site at least 2 hours prior to the possession, takes about half an hour to get the paperwork sorted and loaded ready then you’re waiting for the possession to be granted. But due to the small amount of time we’re allowed on track for we can’t just rock up and get on, we have to be there and ready. As soon as the worksite is granted we get started, but until then there’s not much you can do.

I’m not saying its not easy money because it is, I get paid 12 hrs regardless, and on average only do actual work for about 5 of those.

As for the OP, I personally think a ban should be in place for any bridge strike. Any rail machines hitting a bridge result in a full investigation with a for cause drugs and alcohol test being a mandatory part of this. Fail this part and you’ll loose your tickets to allow you on track even though you weren’t actually on track at the time

They dragged that in to turner at soham yesterday, size of the hole in window i recon he came out in one go

dozy:
I had mates who spent more time asleep than working according to them on the railways , so if they have to get and do a bit of bridge mending it won’t do them any harm I’d of thought , or stand the bone idle [zb] in front of a bridge with a height stick / tape measure :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

It’s nothing to do with giving the workers something to do,it’s the 100s of trains that get delayed or cancelled and the 1000s of passengers that then have to find another way home and then the administration cost of having to refund the 1000s of people who bought a ticket for the journey that had to be cancelled ,all that because some ■■■■■■■■■ lorry driver doesn’t know the height of his vehicle.

yourhavingalarf:
Perhaps…

I assumed points and a fine, but with the shambolic excuse for a justice system in this country I wouldn’t be surprised at a telling off.

Massive fines and bans should be in place, especially for bridges like the one here.

A.

dozy:
I had mates who spent more time asleep than working according to them on the railways , so if they have to get and do a bit of bridge mending it won’t do them any harm I’d of thought , or stand the bone idle [zb] in front of a bridge with a height stick / tape measure :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

And what? When you’re running around doing your 15-hour shifts, how much of that is spent waiting to get tipped in somewhere like Sainsbury’s at Stoke?

Its definitely the fault of network rail…they even attracted a group of train robbers once, and made the signals accessable so they could stop the royal mail train…disgusting. :smiley:

I must agree that bridge strikes are becoming more frequent…and there can only be one cause…yes …you`ve guessed it !! so either stricter punishments are needed, or all vehicles will have to have a height stick by law.

When |got measured at the Blackwall for setting of the alarms the coppers who came to measure me said if I had been over height it would have been 6 points and a £1000 fine so it would appear punishment is already in place but obviously not much of a deterrent.

Have noticed that the majority of bridge strikes are carried by the bigger companies who when you visit their yards have the walls wallpapered with H & S posters which perhaps proves that by not allowing people to think for themselves you end up attracting idiots who are happy to have everything spelt out for them and don’t think for themselves

Mazzer2:
When |got measured at the Blackwall for setting of the alarms the coppers who came to measure me said if I had been over height it would have been 6 points and a £1000 fine so it would appear punishment is already in place but obviously not much of a deterrent.

Have noticed that the majority of bridge strikes are carried by the bigger companies who when you visit their yards have the walls wallpapered with H & S posters which perhaps proves that by not allowing people to think for themselves you end up attracting idiots who are happy to have everything spelt out for them and don’t think for themselves

Nail firmly hit on head. .

Mazzer2:

The deterrent is there for being overheight, but what is the punishment for actually hitting the bridge?

As we keep saying on here, pay peanuts and get monkeys. The buck has to stop with the driver as at the end of the day they are the person in charge of the vehicle.

never having hit one ( and being caught) id assume its a driving without due care,or a careless driving with 3 or 6 points depending on the media coverage or general waffle to rail disruption.
cant see it being less than that. :confused:
if the driver of the truck in the above picture happens to be a flipflop and popped out of the windscreen then id assume there would be further charges being brought of leaving the scene of an accident. :slight_smile:

Mazzer2:

The companies with most trucks are the ones with most chance of bridge strikes. Inevitable.
If you’re suggesting that bigger companies, who micromanage their drivers will end up with more short planks, I’d agree. A plank would be found out and sacked from a smaller outfit. A bigger one puts up signs, notices, and tries to avoid all chance of a plank doing damage. But planks have a habit of spinning round and catching you out.

Cue- Eric Sykes & Tommy Cooper.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

madmackem:

Mazzer2:

The deterrent is there for being overheight, but what is the punishment for actually hitting the bridge?

As we keep saying on here, pay peanuts and get monkeys. The buck has to stop with the driver as at the end of the day they are the person in charge of the vehicle.

Common sense would suggest that if you can get 6 points and £1000 fine just for being over height then striking the bridge would be at least double, but then common sense and the British justice system are seldom found in the same room

I know how stupid lorry drivers can be, I am one. However, I don’t think that their confusing signage helps.

This is a bridge that was struck this week

This bridge is also on the most struck list

So in the Midlands 4.2m equates to 14 feet but in Dover 4.2m is 13’9.

I phoned Network Rail to inform them and they said the that they aren’t responsible for the bridge height markers. It’s down to the relevant Highways Authority but surely if this is causing such a big problem then maybe they should look to auditing the bridge height signage.