Network rail attacks stupid lorry drivers

and seeing as most of us were brought up with feet and inches thats what i go by…14ft is fine with me…across the water 4m is ok too…but looking at your pictures…it just shows the discrepancies…i wonder how many more…but i must say…the majority of bridge strikes are nearly always english drivers…no excuse for that, but they would have grounds in a court of law, as do people with a parking ticket, get away with it because of wrong signage. i know for a fact thats true…cos i took my council to court over a disabled bay that was`nt one anymore…as they burnt the markings off…and i had photographs as well…guess who won. :smiley:

Box jockey’s aren’t the brightest though. Let’s be honest here, generally you have a standard or a high cube.

One is a foot higher than the other. Considering quite a high proportion of strikes are containers, why on earth can’t these clowns notice the yellow/black markings and the very clear warning stickers?

On general I have sometimes pulled 4 or 5 different trailers in one shift, ranging from flat’s to double decker’s and never managed to hit a bridge.

So how hard can it be to differentiate between TWO different heights :unamused: Bellends…all I can think with this one is that the moron didn’t alter their height indicator and/or sat nav, and carried on thinking they had a standard height box on the skelly. Window lickers.

Now they may have a point but its rather hypocritical of them to bring up the delays it causes when they cant get trains to run on time with zero obstacles in their way

eagerbeaver:
Box jockey’s aren’t the brightest though. Let’s be honest here, generally you have a standard or a high cube.

One is a foot higher than the other. Considering quite a high proportion of strikes are containers, why on earth can’t these clowns notice the yellow/black markings and the very clear warning stickers?

On general I have sometimes pulled 4 or 5 different trailers in one shift, ranging from flat’s to double decker’s and never managed to hit a bridge.

So how hard can it be to differentiate between TWO different heights :unamused: Bellends…all I can think with this one is that the moron didn’t alter their height indicator and/or sat nav, and carried on thinking they had a standard height box on the skelly. Window lickers.

i aint to bright but i do no that at 14,6 it wont fit under a 14, bridge evern with a good run up

the Ruislip was a 16’2 trailer under a marked 15’ bridge. Most surprising thing was that it went all the way through. The power of the agency driver

Charging employers the true costs will have a beneficial effect surely?

dieseldog999:
never having hit one ( and being caught) id assume its a driving without due care,or a careless driving with 3 or 6 points depending on the media coverage or general waffle to rail disruption.
cant see it being less than that. :confused:
if the driver of the truck in the above picture happens to be a flipflop and popped out of the windscreen then id assume there would be further charges being brought of leaving the scene of an accident. :slight_smile:

brilliant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Too much faith in truckers satnavs? Combined with above average stupidity.

It doesn’t help either when you get an advance warning sign which suggests that you can pass safely under a bridge, only to find that when you get there, and inevitably with nowhere to turn round, the sign on the bridge indicates that it’s three or even six inches lower than you were expecting.

There’s a couple of these local to me in West Wales, I’m sure there must be others.

I’d like someone on here to open a new account with an obviously fictitious name (not a troll as such) and admit to hitting a bridge and explain how/why it happened.

I’m genuinely interested. Everybody slates bridge hitters on here and a lot make mistakes and don’t admit it. Just curious :wink:

dri-diddly-iver:
I’d like someone on here to open a new account with an obviously fictitious name (not a troll as such) and admit to hitting a bridge and explain how/why it happened.

I’m genuinely interested. Everybody slates bridge hitters on here and a lot make mistakes and don’t admit it. Just curious :wink:

I don’t need to use a different name, I hit a 14’3" bridge in Aberdeen with a marked 4.5 metre trailer, miscalculated the conversion (done in my head) from metres to feet and inches, no damage done though just scraped the front corner of the trailer against a rivet on the underside of the bridge, let the air suspension down on the unit and crawled out, just my luck though that there was a police car 3 cars behind me who stopped me and summoned a traffic car and a sergeant, ended up being charged with careless driving but never heard anything about it again.

dri-diddly-iver:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ive never hit one flat lit and taken the lid off the way your referring to,but ive had a few scrapes and near scrapes tramping around and mostly getting to the point of no return before theres a sign telling you the bridge is there when your out in the sticks.
if it comes to that and its a debateable few inches,then it can be either a 2 mile reverse along a country road,or into crawler,and be hanging out of the window with your foot dangling above the brake pedal and see how it goes.
im old enough not to have had the option of dumping the air also.
its never happened abroad,nor in eire,just always in the uk.
everyone can have a momentary lapse of sanity,but some of the ones you see then you just have to wonder why■■?

john_london:
I know how stupid lorry drivers can be, I am one. However, I don’t think that their confusing signage helps.

This is a bridge that was struck this week

This bridge is also on the most struck list

So in the Midlands 4.2m equates to 14 feet but in Dover 4.2m is 13’9.

I phoned Network Rail to inform them and they said the that they aren’t responsible for the bridge height markers. It’s down to the relevant Highways Authority but surely if this is causing such a big problem then maybe they should look to auditing the bridge height signage.

The difference is probably because neither bridge is exactly 4.2 meters high, and the next value in metric would be 4.3 or 4.1 meters. Those 10 centimeters (either up or down) equate to 4 inches.
Bridgeheight signs come in 3 inch graduations, so if the clearance is just under 10centimeters but more than 7.5 centimetres, you drop (or raise) a 3 inch gap. Contrary to popular belief, one measurement is not simply converted from te other, but both are as close to the actual clearance of the bridge.

That is not to say that the relevant authorities can get either measurements, or order forms right…

TiredAndEmotional:

Absolutely right on both counts.
Thing is though if you drive a truck, being aware of bridges should be second nature, it should have sod all to do with ■■■■ sat navs :unamused: , and they should certainly not be used as an excuse.
Some of us managed without sat navs for years, and now many of us get by with a car sat nav quite successfully.

I don’t know about some of you, but I even notice bridges when I’m driving my car, it’s part of being a professional driver.
Too many chimps with Class 1s nowadays impersonating truckers. :unamused:

john_london:
I know how stupid lorry drivers can be, I am one. However, I don’t think that their confusing signage helps.

This is a bridge that was struck this week

This bridge is also on the most struck list

So in the Midlands 4.2m equates to 14 feet but in Dover 4.2m is 13’9.

I phoned Network Rail to inform them and they said the that they aren’t responsible for the bridge height markers. It’s down to the relevant Highways Authority but surely if this is causing such a big problem then maybe they should look to auditing the bridge height signage.

It’s been done to death many, many times - the calculation used to arrive at the marked clearance height for a bridge is different for metric and Imperial measurements:

A bridge measured at anything from 4.28m to 4.37m should be marked as 4.2m

A bridge measured at anything from 14’3" (4.34m) to 14’5" (4.39m) should be marked as 14’
A bridge measured at anything from 14’0" (4.27m) to 14’2" (4.32m) should be marked as 13’9"

So the first example could have been measured at 14’4" and the second one at 14’1" - both would be correctly marked as 4.2m

can’t blame them for saying that,knowing the height of your vehicle isn’t rocket science is it yet they still keep hitting bridges,gives the majority of us a bad name because network rail assumes we are all the same and that is annoying

robroy:

TiredAndEmotional:

Thing is though if you drive a truck, being aware of bridges should be second nature, it should have sod all to do with [zb] sat navs :unamused: , and they should certainly not be used as an excuse.
Some of us managed without sat navs for years, and now many of us get by with a car sat nav quite successfully.

I don’t know about some of you, but I even notice bridges when I’m driving my car, it’s part of being a professional driver.

I ride a bike further than I drive a wagon now and I bet I never miss a bridge height or weight restriction and I even notice tree branches when they are particularly low or sticking a bit far out from the side.

robroy:

TiredAndEmotional:

Thing is though if you drive a truck, being aware of bridges should be second nature, it should have sod all to do with [zb] sat navs :unamused: , and they should certainly not be used as an excuse.

+1 100% right

TiredAndEmotional:

I don’t know about the satnavs bit - as far as I am aware all the frequently struck bridges have appropriate restrictions in the mapping data, so if drivers really were blindly following their satnavs they wouldn’t be taking those routes in the first place. I’d hazard a guess that in fact they were not using truck satnavs. Probably just the above average stupidity then…

Roymondo:

TiredAndEmotional:

I don’t know about the satnavs bit - as far as I am aware all the frequently struck bridges have appropriate restrictions in the mapping data, so if drivers really were blindly following their satnavs they wouldn’t be taking those routes in the first place. I’d hazard a guess that in fact they were not using truck satnavs. Probably just the above average stupidity then…

Sat navs only guide for height if it’s set up right. So the above average stupidity cones into play.