netbook

im fancying one of these for the lorry as clare wants the lappy at home, ive seen some with a 10" screen which look quite good and some good deals at pc world.

anybody with any experiances of them are the screens adequate and what about photo’s on here on them, will i have to scroll across or do they shrink to fit :question: :question: :question:

the screen is pretty rediculous, i have an 11" one (dont make any jokes from that)
other than a small screen its still the same as a lappy

TBH I wouldn’t bother with them. For less money you can get a refurbished Dell, Compaq or Toshiba
with at least a 14" screen and you’d be able to do more with it.

If you go for a netbook don’t buy from PC World, you’ll get a better deal/selection online.
Like at Scan

I have a Asus 1000H have all my music on it also Autoroute 2007 with a GPS dongle and can use it as a san nav plus a 3dongle for internet it dose’s every thing a big laptop dose’s the only extra i have is a external cd/dvd writer/player its light easy to hide and get them online cheaper than ■■■■ World

I have just recently got an Acer One…it has an 11 inch screen and is ideal if you just want something for internet browsing and email.

There’s one in our house - my 12 year old has it.

I can’t get on with it at all - too small screen for my liking. She says it’s fine but I keep catching her using the 7 year old’s desktop for homework and surfing. Speaks volumes me thinks. :unamused:

Not worth it, for £200.00 you can get an excellent, couple of years old, secondhand laptop, with widescreen 15.4, XP, 1gb ram, intel processor. If you want to watch movies you can get power dvd 9 software for about £5.

Are the keyboards smaller? I have thick fingers and would probably keep making typing errors if it was.
I would also miss the cd/dvd drive

Colingl:
TBH I wouldn’t bother with them. For less money you can get a refurbished Dell, Compaq or Toshiba
with at least a 14" screen and you’d be able to do more with it.

If you go for a netbook don’t buy from PC World, you’ll get a better deal/selection online.
Like at Scan

Agreed, I had an 8.9" screen, not quite as big as the 10", but it wasn’t a laptop replacement.

Nice and light and good battery life, but the performance, lack of a drive and the lower res on things like photo’s and facebook was too limiting.

I’d hold off getting a netbook right now. There are a new range of Intel Atom processors coming out soon. Nvudia"s ION platform is good.

I have a Acer aspire on running Linux(Open suse). This will probably change when Ubuntu Lucid becomes available. For great tech/gadget news and reviews check out engadget.com

Laterz

TruckerGeek :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

An i-Phone is all you need :sunglasses:

C-Kay:
An i-Phone is all you need :sunglasses:

I’d rather have my iPhone than a Netbook but it doesn’t replace a laptop. I’d been needing both! :slight_smile:

jessicas dad:
im fancying one of these for the lorry as clare wants the lappy at home, ive seen some with a 10" screen which look quite good and some good deals at pc world.

anybody with any experiances of them are the screens adequate and what about photo’s on here on them, will i have to scroll across or do they shrink to fit :question: :question: :question:

I’ve used the Acer One, i thought it was great. I liked the small size of it (for in the truck). Yes the photos are fine and yes the pages look just like they do on a lappy only a bit smaller thats all.

Mike-C:

jessicas dad:

I’ve used the Acer One, i thought it was great. I liked the small size of it (for in the truck). Yes the photos are fine and yes the pages look just like they do on a lappy only a bit smaller thats all.

I’ve got a really old laptop with a 12" screen, which I use in the truck.
I mainly use it as a sat nav and dvd player, but I also write stuff up on it, keep photos on it and other things.
The screen size is fine, I wouldn’t use it in the house though when I’ve got a decent sized screen available.
Also, because it’s small, it doesn’t obscure to much of my windscreen in sat nav mode :slight_smile:

If it was me and my budget was up neer 400 i would go for the dell 11z which is pretty much standard laptop spec on an 11" screen if you budget is down arounf the 250-300 id go for the dell 10" mini or the acer one which is actually quite good for an acer. I think all the 10" netbooks come out of the same chines factory as the all seem to have a similar build finish.

However you might want to bare in mind that all these have no dvd/bluray player. so you need to get an external one then it starts to become a bit more clunky than just having a bigger laptop.

Regards

Bob

Robertthegreat:
I have a Asus 1000H have all my music on it also Autoroute 2007 with a GPS dongle and can use it as a san nav plus a 3dongle for internet it dose’s every thing a big laptop dose’s the only extra i have is a external cd/dvd writer/player its light easy to hide and get them online cheaper than ■■■■ World

I was considering doing this-(using laptop/microsoft autoroute and gps dongle) instead of sat nav,but do you still need to use a seperate dongle for the internet at the same time??

mb14:

Robertthegreat:

I was considering doing this-(using laptop/microsoft autoroute and gps dongle) instead of sat nav,but do you still need to use a seperate dongle for the internet at the same time??

Autoroute and a gps dongle don’t need to be connected to the internet to work. You need a dongle if you what to use internet what i do is when i have not been to a new drop a find the location on the autoroute as using it like a map then there’s a box that drops down saying (show in windows local live) this then connects to the internet and brings up a satellite photo map of the location which you can see the roads and entrances to your delivery point making it easier when you get there. I have all the bridge heights on autoroute as well if you what this PM me and i will sent it to you

Jess, the little Samsung NC10 netbooks have excellent reviews and it seems everyone I know has one. :open_mouth: Not heard of any complaints with them either which is always a good thing. They’re cheap monies too. Would defo recommend one if you haven’t got yersen one yet, but see if you can try one first before you buy as the keys are smaller than a standard keyboard and if you’ve got fat fingers you might find it a chore typing on it. :bulb:

id be lost without this :slight_smile:

17" cost me an arm and a leg lol

gogzy:
id be lost without this :slight_smile:

17" cost me an arm and a leg lol

wtf is that, a colouring book?