Neilz Trukin Kumpny, Another Middle East Old Hand Gone

Sadly Neil Moorhouse from Yarburgh near Louth, one of life’s characters passed away last week at the age of 70.

Does anybody remember his lorries, mostly modified in some way by himself? Like the F86 6X2 tractor unit he made. I remember Niel working around Immingham, doing dock work in his Mack Ultraliner and before that in his old LHD 142. I also remember his black 88 that he used on Middle East work, with Neilz Trukin Kumpny Louth on the door, regularly parked up in the British Legion car park or the Cross Keys in Killingholme. It would be nice if anybody had any pictures.

RIP

I spoke to Neil many times after he allowed me to copy some of photos when I was “helping a mate” write his book about the Middle East. Sadly that book never materialised so Neil’s stories will never be told… :frowning: :imp:

Anyway; moving on, here are some of Neil’s photos;
Love some of his spelling’s; NEILZ TRUKIN KUMPNY. AFRIKA with a K. EUROP without an E. MOROCO with 1 C and IRAK with a K…
The man himself

Not sure if the brown Merc was his or not. On route to Irak (as he used to spell it)

Novel way of storing spare tyres!

Ex Astran 142 he bought;

And finally; my very favourite photo. Terrible quality, but PRICELESS :smiley:
Home made sleeper which Neil told me he made and fitted in one weekend at home because he was fed up with daycab Dodge! He couldnt remember how many times the box actually fell off on route to Baghdad, but he reckoned it was around 10. Don’t think the fuel tank on back of chassis lasted very long either!

R.I.P Neil.

RIP Driver, never met you or even heard of you but you look like one of lifes characters that I’d have liked to have met…

fly sheet:
RIP Driver, never met you or even heard of you but you look like one of lifes characters that I’d have liked to have met…

I’ll second that.

I remember neil from my days doing spain, he was a right laugh, he did seem to enjoy his life, which must be nice for his family, i seem to remember him in zona franca being weekended a lot, used to go for a few up the ramblas, have a sleep on the roundabout at the end of the road, then be :smiley: :smiley: at the agents office at monday for a top up off running money…Happy days for us all, god rest ya neil.

I remember him!!! Always full of joy and could tell a good tale. Use to see him running round immingham dock with the 142. RIP Neill. Plenty of the old boys with you now…

fly sheet:

same here, R I P mr moorhouse :cry:

gaz

I didn’t know the man, but I knew his motors from both sides of the water.

Another call goes out for Troll Trucking, a couple of English brothers I think who did Greece in an old knacker bag of a lorry.

don`t know the man but RIP 70 is no age thinking of his family who will be the ones who will be suffering now I had a close shave myself last year and now play with the grand kids and I am grateful for every minute,I remember how my wife was looking and how she worried when I was ill thinking I would not make it so hope the family are coping . sorry to go on its the whisky talking, fredm

When I opened this page , I thought I know that name, after scanning down and seeing the CIT lorry I realised like Richmond through the endless hours we used to spend in Zona Franca, I remember going with him a couple of times to the Prica supermarket for a cofee and bacon broccidilo while waiting to clear.

Neil was a total character - I worked on and around Immingham Docks, I first met him at the bus cafe when he had Lhd Merc twin steer with 2 cast iron drainpipes for vertical exhausts and a 45 gallon drum on the cab roof with a pipe running into the water system because the head gasket had gone, it had been like that for months. Always had shorts and flip flops on whatever the weather.

Another good lad gone

Hiya…very sad news another good lad left us…i can’t say as i new him but i spent many hours around immingham
at the ici place in the early 70’s so we would have crossed paths…after the first postings a big impression was
made by the naming of his company and the tricks he come up with like the tyres on the roof top guy…
Have a good rest driver…
John

In the blood:
Neil was a total character - I worked on and around Immingham Docks, I first met him at the bus cafe when he had Lhd Merc twin steer with 2 cast iron drainpipes for vertical exhausts and a 45 gallon drum on the cab roof with a pipe running into the water system because the head gasket had gone, it had been like that for months. Always had shorts and flip flops on whatever the weather.

Another good lad gone

I remember that old Merc, as you say the exhausts really were old drain pipes.

I remember another story about Neil buying the dock shunter from CLS (Humberside Sea and Land) It was an old Volvo that the drivers had refused to drive as it was worn out and rotten, Neil slapped some black paint on it and went to Morroco in it, not sure if its 100% true but the way he operated it probably is.

Hi all,
It’s great to see these photos again :smiley: .i first saw them at a bubbleman
keynsham event 7 or 8 years ago when truckerash was speaking :sunglasses: . Rip driver, legend.
Regards Andrew.

Neils old Mack is on ebay.
ebay.co.uk/itm/MACK-ROAD-TRA … 41646a5ef3

I’d heard of and seen Neil’s trucks over the years but never met the man yet it seems that although he has died at what is nowadays a youthful 70 he enjoyed life to the full. I guess if you have to go early it is better to go at that age having lived the way you want to so far than drag it out till your into your 90’s having had a miserable existence and enjoyed very little. Another example of the British pioneering spirit that led men to venture into the hardships of early middle east trucking with his ingenuity and optimism has gone and with the rules and regs of modern transport never to be seen again. RIP Neil…

Never met the man, but would have loved to spend a few hours with him to just sit & listen to the tales/stories :slight_smile: , looks like he had the greatest gift of all true characters, not to take life too seriously, & the ability to laugh at himself! R.I.P.

never met the man :cry: but hope to meet him on the flip side rip neilz gone but not forgotten :cry:

Hiya quite pleased this site has reappeared, what a guy.ive read through the site and still like the read ups
apart from neilz passing. might meet him another day in another life…i hope he dos’nt change.
rip mate
John

I know this is old now but after a lapse of 20 years I decided to re-new my acquaintance with my old road haulin mucker Neil. I only found out about his passing here in trucknet. I knew him most of my life and his life as well and his wife Edna. I am greatly saddened I left it too late by about 3 years.Where do you start with a bloke like Neil the stories about him are legion and most of them are true. Neil was born for the road and the road was invented for him. In the early days we did a lot of miles together and drank a lot of beer together. He never was much concerned with the process of the law and was prepared to do whatever it took to get the job done. I could tell a lot of tales about Neil but out of deference for his family I wont and some of it is unprintable anyway. Its not adequate to say Neil was a character its not even adequate to say they broke the mould. All I know is, we will never see the likes of him again. So long Neil mate
Dan