Needing Wife’s ok to do a night out

the maoster:
Every single place I’ve worked at has had drivers who require special treatment, drivers who require their hands held, drivers who are deliberately obstructive and drivers who make a mountain out of a molehill. Tbh and as a driver who is capable of doing my job without requiring any office input I actually appreciate these ■■■■■ wetters because they not only make me look better, but more importantly they allow me to take certain liberties such as parking up after six hours work because I’ve found a country pub that I like the look of, or travelling a few miles off route to meet up with a mate for the night.

As long as they have zero detrimental effect on me I don’t really care how they perform or what they do.

Spot on old buddy, the wet knickers always made us look good, stand back and laugh :smiley:

peirre:
However if I was one of his fellow drivers I’d be having a few words with him and tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to do his fair share of nights out or move on to another company

I told the lot I (occasionally) work for that I don’t do nights out before I started with them. They accepted that and employed me on that basis.

They have subsequently tried to get me to do nights out, pointing out that the other drivers do them and my answer is always “Well, good for them, if you don’t like it then sack me because I’m not doing them”.

Which I think is fair enough. I have done nights out in the past, the longest I’ve ever been away on a trip is 107 days or three-and-a-half months but if I don’t want to do them now then that’s up to me.

blue estate:

Roymondo:
What is this “boss is trying to make him jump” nonsense? Apparently he’s been there just a few months, so if the boss isn’t happy with him he can simply dismiss him with no repercussions at all. End of.

The whole story is just that - a story made up by a disgruntled employee who thinks that another driver is getting a better shake of the dice than he is.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: what world are you living in to think that of me :unamused:
1, my truck bends ,
2, I’m not married so don’t have to ask permission to Night out
3, I begrudge busting a gut getting some ones load ready when they keep dissapering off every 5 mins on their phone and then just bugger off home at 3:30/4 pm
4, I didn’t need to get up at 3am to come in to work for 4am and then drive for 31/2 hours ,
I got up at 6 am and drove for 20 mins to my first job and sat for 3 hours on break
Disgruntled yes , at some one who’s not pulling he’s weight properly , but only that

I’m sure you’ll deny it, but I’d suggest you’ve got some significant work-related issues going on in your head. What you have just written (quoted above) supports it. The other earlier nonsense about the boss “trying to make him jump” pretty much confirms it.

GOK what the significance is of the bend in the vehicle you drive (although clearly it matters to you).

Also just to add just because the contract says something does not mean it will hold up in a tribunal lol.

For example my contract could say give the boss a BJ.
But I get sacked for not giving the boss a BJ I’d still win at the tribunal. Quite often employers like to put stuff in the contract that is often superceded by current employment legislations.

So sacking people can often be quite tricky when it comes to crap like this.

At Blue you considered working for a supermarket lol? They really dont give a ■■■■. I’ve been to stores where the guy has been waiting for hours to get in and he just lets me take his spot so he can get another few hours pay. No one cares xD It is great!

I’ve never been involved in the politics at work. Whether it’s day work or nights out, just get on with it and don’t worry what others are or aren’t doing. If someone buggers off home early on whatever excuse and I help load or unload their motor, as long as I’m getting paid for it, I just don’t care.

Roymondo:

blue estate:

Roymondo:
What is this “boss is trying to make him jump” nonsense? Apparently he’s been there just a few months, so if the boss isn’t happy with him he can simply dismiss him with no repercussions at all. End of.

The whole story is just that - a story made up by a disgruntled employee who thinks that another driver is getting a better shake of the dice than he is.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: what world are you living in to think that of me :unamused:
1, my truck bends ,
2, I’m not married so don’t have to ask permission to Night out
3, I begrudge busting a gut getting some ones load ready when they keep dissapering off every 5 mins on their phone and then just bugger off home at 3:30/4 pm
4, I didn’t need to get up at 3am to come in to work for 4am and then drive for 31/2 hours ,
I got up at 6 am and drove for 20 mins to my first job and sat for 3 hours on break
Disgruntled yes , at some one who’s not pulling he’s weight properly , but only that

I’m sure you’ll deny it, but I’d suggest you’ve got some significant work-related issues going on your head. What you have just written (quoted above) supports it. The other earlier nonsense about the boss “trying to make him jump” pretty much confirms it.

GOK what the significance is of the bend in the vehicle you drive (although clearly it matters to you).

What ever , is some one talking ? Good bye and don’t comment please

robroy:

the maoster:
, or travelling a few miles off route to meet up with a mate for the night.

:open_mouth:
Hmmm.
Take no heed of him everybody…I’ve only got 2 words
Thursday Night. :bulb:

:wink: :laughing:

Fair enough, but in my defence I had nothing to wear and really needed to stay in and do my hair.

Reading this , a lot on here should remember marriage is a partnership , not all about them , it’s no suprise most drivers are divorced x2/3 , when the ones like me who love & care about there wife’s are still happily married 40 yrs later
Totally agree with the lad blue estate is moaning about , your wife , family & health should come first , or certainly before some idiot boss who sounds like he couldnt run a ■■■■ up in a brewery

dozy:
Reading this , a lot on here should remember marriage is a partnership , not all about them , it’s no suprise most drivers are divorced x2/3 , when the ones like me who love & care about there wife’s are still happily married 40 yrs later
Totally agree with the lad blue estate is moaning about , your wife , family & health should come first , or certainly before some idiot boss who sounds like he couldnt run a ■■■■ up in a brewery

Dozy . Getting the facts wrong again :unamused:
He certainly can run a ■■■■ up in a brewery , since he’s been here the company has grown from 3 trucks to 8 4 trailers to 14 and turns over 40k a week
Our ware house is full with paying storage

blue estate:

dozy:

Dozy . Getting the facts wrong again :unamused:
He certainly can run a ■■■■ up in a brewery , since he’s been here the company has grown from 3 trucks to 8 4 trailers to 14 and turns over 40k a week
Our ware house is full with paying storage

If you stepped out of his ring piece for a bit you’d see it’s sunny outside.

It’s becoming obvious it’s the “groovy gang” vs this bloke who the fantastic boss can’t get rid of even though he’s only been there a few months and has few rights :laughing:

Sounds like a great place with fantastic colleagues, constructive dismissal, bullying and a lack of confidentiality all on display

My whole take on this situation is 50/50 from both sides.

If the guy took the job on the basis that nights out are required then he should do them as per agreed upon on and in line to be fair with everyone else doing them.

Where I will side with him is being told he’s doing one half way through his day. If the company requires a driver a to do a night out its reasonable that they should inform him the day before in my opinion as a matter of courtesy to any family/commitments.

toonsy:
If you stepped out of his ring piece for a bit you’d see it’s sunny outside

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Don’t hold back!

Why any driver feels the need to get involved in another driver’s business unless they have to share a cab with them I’ve no idea.

The fact that you and your colleagues even know all this seems very unprofessional on your bosses’ part imo - if he has a problem with said driver, it’s up to him to sort.

The fact that you care is a mystery to me. And I’m sorry but - you don’t like that it puts the TM in a bad mood - how old are you? :laughing:

You’d probably find that if you just concentrated on yourself and didn’t concern yourself with other people’s business (that has no effect on you) then you’d me much happier yourself!

If the driver accepted the job with some nights out then obviously he has to do them. If they only occur once in a blue moon then they should be planned. A working man has a commitment to his work but if he is also a family man then he is invested at home as well. The night out would have to be planned on the domestic front involving child care etc.

I no longer do nights away on the agreement with my TM. When I did do a night away it was always asked beforehand and always at least 1 days notice but usually it was asked by Friday the week before. Only once was I asked to do a night out on the day, but as I pointed out to my planner …who is going to tell my wife to cancel the 25th wedding anniversary meal that was booked that night as it wasnt going to be me? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

blue estate:
A driver at my place is so under the thumb he needs his wife’s permission to do a night out , she also dictates what car he drives (she don’t drive) etc :open_mouth: :unamused:
Now for some back ground ,
He’s employed as a class 2 tramper and to do night out when required
The other week he was in MK delivering and the boss had a rust air freight job from Stanstead air port to Warrington , said driver said no I can’t do it as I’ve no Gear or my type2 tablets with me :imp: boss was fuming as he then had to send some one else from the yard (Southampton ) to do it .
Last Friday he had Wolverhampton del and collection Birkenhead , he went home at 4pm Thursday night and then left early Friday and only just made it back Friday night
This Friday he had to be in Dudley for 7am prompt , he went home Thursday @3:30pm :unamused: left at 4:05 am and was only passing Warwick at 6:45 am got to Dudley at 7:30am
Said driver keeps moaning about the truck a 12plt Axor sleeper 6 wheeler , but the boss won’t replace it because it’s not earring enough and it’s low kms and tidy
What would you do with said driver ?

IWhen I commented on this last time,. I was concentrating on the aspect of the guy being a bit of a wimp with his wife., but I’ve just re.read the o/'p.

If he was taken on as a tramper (although I don’t see how he is if nights out were on an ''as and when ‘’ basis tbh, then he ain’t fulfilling his commitment that he took on when he agreed terms.

As for not taking any kit with him. :unamused: as a ‘tramper’ …let alone not taking his type 1 meds with him …I reckon that is an excuse/■■■■■■■■ also tbh, why would he risk going into a coma ffs if he was stuck down the road for unforseens.) he sounds a bit of a ■■■■ to me.
As a tramper you always take kit with you…end of.

I can see exactly why his boss was ■■■■■■ with him, he’s got a truck down in the area for a job that has just come up, and matey ■■■■ s up the whole operation.
Then he goes and leaves too late on next job to get there on time,.when he could easily have achieved it doing a night out.
I’d be putting him on a verbal warning.

I know half of you lot turn from being Cinderella to a pumpkin at the mere thought of not in ‘‘me own bed’’ at nights :unamused: …but ffs. :unamused:, he should jack, and let someone else do his job who has the right attitude.

Only thing I would say is don’t give a ■■■■ let his boss sort him out.
If he ain’t having a direct adverse effect on your job and life,.just crack on and leave him enough rope to hang himself.

robroy:

blue estate:
A driver at my place is so under the thumb he needs his wife’s permission to do a night out , she also dictates what car he drives (she don’t drive) etc :open_mouth: :unamused:
Now for some back ground ,
He’s employed as a class 2 tramper and to do night out when required
The other week he was in MK delivering and the boss had a rust air freight job from Stanstead air port to Warrington , said driver said no I can’t do it as I’ve no Gear or my type2 tablets with me :imp: boss was fuming as he then had to send some one else from the yard (Southampton ) to do it .
Last Friday he had Wolverhampton del and collection Birkenhead , he went home at 4pm Thursday night and then left early Friday and only just made it back Friday night
This Friday he had to be in Dudley for 7am prompt , he went home Thursday @3:30pm :unamused: left at 4:05 am and was only passing Warwick at 6:45 am got to Dudley at 7:30am
Said driver keeps moaning about the truck a 12plt Axor sleeper 6 wheeler , but the boss won’t replace it because it’s not earring enough and it’s low kms and tidy
What would you do with said driver ?

IWhen I commented on this last time,. I was concentrating on the aspect of the guy being a bit of a wimp with his wife., but I’ve just re.read the o/'p.

If he was taken on as a tramper (although I don’t see how he is if nights out were on an ''as and when ‘’ basis tbh, then he ain’t fulfilling his commitment that he took on when he agreed terms.

As for not taking any kit with him. :unamused: as a ‘tramper’ …let alone not taking his type 1 meds with him …I reckon that is an excuse/■■■■■■■■ also tbh, why would he risk going into a coma ffs if he was stuck down the road for unforseens.) he sounds a bit of a ■■■■ to me.
As a tramper you always take kit with you…end of.

I can see exactly why his boss was ■■■■■■ with him, he’s got a truck down in the area for a job that has just come up, and matey [zb] s up the whole operation.
Then he goes and leaves too late on next job to get there on time,.when he could easily have achieved it doing a night out.
I’d be putting him on a verbal warning.

I know half of you lot turn from being Cinderella to a pumpkin at the mere thought of not in ‘‘me own bed’’ at nights :unamused: …but ffs. :unamused:, he should jack, and let someone else do his job who has the right attitude.

Only thing I would say is don’t give a [zb] let his boss sort him out.
If he ain’t having a direct adverse effect on your job and life,.just crack on and leave him enough rope to hang himself.

Rob , your last sentence is what we’re doing , leaving him to hang his self

simcor:
Secondly nighting out is a choice the driver should make not the company, unless you have agreed to night out then you should not be expected to night out except for absolute emergencies where you have genuinely run out of time due an accident or the like.

I would certainly refuse to night out for the companies benefit when you are not a tramper or don’t do night’s out. But would do it if it was absolutely neccesary and I could not make it back to base due to accident hold ups etc. I would never not give myself enough driving time to get back to the yard even if that means abandoning a drop or 2 to make it back.

It is up to the driver to ensure he has planned his day accordingly to allow time to drive back not the company. It is down the to driver to decide when he pulls out of a place he’s been waiting at too long again not the company.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Wrong wrong and wrong.

The guy is employed as a tramper as it says in the second paragraph of the op, so needs to be available as and when. If he has agreed to it, then that is his problem. If he doesn’t like it, then get another job.

And as for leaving a delivery at his own free will, well as it is not his company, and he is paid to deliver, then the company DOES have the final say on if he leaves or not. I have known companies sack people for a driver just abandoning the delivery because they felt like it. The goods then have to be re-dlivered at the companies cost, and a driver would be the first to moan if there was no pay rise.

Ken.

simcor:
Mind I missed the bit where you said he is employed and a tramper. Although not sure how he can be employed as a tramper yet do night’s out as and when required. It’s one or the other. Either you’re a tramper and mostly night out several nights a week or you’re a day driver that may be required to night out occasionally. Can’t be both.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I used to work for a company that would take on people as trampers, and their contracts would say so, but the company would not guarantee nights out. If his contract says tramper, then that’s how it is.

Ken.

adam277:
If he gets dismissed for the no meds excuse to not tramp 99% sure the tribunal would side with him.
Why? Because I am betting he did not get told he had to night out that day until he was already on the road that day. Otherwise you would assume he would of took his meds with him.

And one would assume he has declared he is a diabetic on his HR record.

Ken.

In our place there is one driver who is a pain. We do boxes and most are regular clients. There is one place he is always late. Less than half a mile from our yard. I have his run now even if i turn up early or late they understand. They have banned him from site.