Needing Wife’s ok to do a night out

He joins company presumably as a tramper or at least on the understanding of nights out, but only wants to do them on his terms? Sounds like a selfish git who thinks he’s special. Wouldn’t be surprised if the wife bit is simply made up as an excuse.

What would I do - probably in general conversation with the transport manager make it clear you agree with said TM that this isn’t acceptable and this idiot is screwing over other peoples lives as well as causing the TM hassle.

If a few of you do that, the TM will hopefully realise its a rouge employee and not general workforce who are at fault, and probably start giving this one all the crap jobs until they change jobs or the “wife” makes them change.

Not having their meds sounds a really bad idea - what happens if they break down or have unexpected holdups? Doubt the meds would be that time critical based on other type 2 diabetic people I know (not like type 1), but it could be suggested by the boss that not carrying them they could get into trouble with the police if they had an accident…bit like not carrying a spare pair of glasses and trying to drive without. Ok, very very unlikely, but its all leverage and a big hint.

No idea if they can be dismissed for not doing the job described except in genuine emergency, but honestly can’t imagine a tribunal being too impressed with them.

I think it’s a little harsh. I’m single so no worries to me being out, currently weekended right now. So I don’t feel the need to judge anyone with wife and kids and what obligations they need to be home for.

Place I work If I have a delivery in which I’m expected to be there at 7:00am and I get there at 8:00am I get no angry phonecalls. No mention of it whatsoever. No one even cares.
I like my job :stuck_out_tongue: I am also on like £17/ph basic not to brag too much :smiley:.

Honestly, I have worked for around 4 -5 companies in the past few years. I have never had to deal with a TM in a bad mood. I have never had to rush to a job. (I did have one case of trying to rush back to the depot so I didn’t have to night out but that was my own choice).

Also I would never night out on an ad-hoc basis unless it was like double pay lol. Imagine having something planned for when you finish work only to be told “Sorry, mate we need you too night out tonight” with like a few hours warning.

No idea if they can be dismissed for not doing the job described except in genuine emergency, but honestly can’t imagine a tribunal being too impressed with them.

If he gets dismissed for the no meds excuse to not tramp 99% sure the tribunal would side with him.
Why? Because I am betting he did not get told he had to night out that day until he was already on the road that day. Otherwise you would assume he would of took his meds with him.

mrginge:
I think it’s a little harsh. I’m single so no worries to me being out, currently weekended right now. So I don’t feel the need to judge anyone with wife and kids and what obligations they need to be home for.

I agree drivers may have obligations to others, but, if so, why take on this job?

blue estate:
He’s employed as a class 2 tramper and to do night out when required

adam277:
If he gets dismissed for the no meds excuse to not tramp 99% sure the tribunal would side with him.
Why? Because I am betting he did not get told he had to night out that day until he was already on the road that day. Otherwise you would assume he would of took his meds with him.

I would disagree: If I was in a job where nights out were expected, I would always have my N/O kit, and any meds with me. Pure incompetence not to do so.
If a driver made a rare error and had mislaid summat, that is one case, but refusing to do the job he had signed up for is plain wrong.
I expect employers to pay my wages and holiday pay as per contract. I expect a driver to uphold his side of the deal too.

Dont want nights out? Fine! But dont take a job where they are required.

trevHCS:
He joins company presumably as a tramper or at least on the understanding of nights out, but only wants to do them on his terms? Sounds like a selfish git who thinks he’s special. Wouldn’t be surprised if the wife bit is simply made up as an excuse.

What would I do - probably in general conversation with the transport manager make it clear you agree with said TM that this isn’t acceptable and this idiot is screwing over other peoples lives as well as causing the TM hassle.

If a few of you do that, the TM will hopefully realise its a rouge employee and not general workforce who are at fault, and probably start giving this one all the crap jobs until they change jobs or the “wife” makes them change.

Not having their meds sounds a really bad idea - what happens if they break down or have unexpected holdups? Doubt the meds would be that time critical based on other type 2 diabetic people I know (not like type 1), but it could be suggested by the boss that not carrying them they could get into trouble with the police if they had an accident…bit like not carrying a spare pair of glasses and trying to drive without. Ok, very very unlikely, but its all leverage and a big hint.

He’s only been here 6 months so easily got rid off

Franglais:

adam277:

I would disagree: If I was in a job where nights out were expected, I would always have my N/O kit, and any meds with me. Pure incompetence not to do so.
If a driver made a rare error and had mislaid summat, that is one case, but refusing to do the job he had signed up for is plain wrong.
I expect employers to pay my wages and holiday pay as per contract. I expect a driver to uphold his side of the deal too.

Dont want nights out? Fine! But dont take a job where they are required.

That is what I’m getting at ,he knew the job intailen N/O

“I’d love to Boss but the wife won’t let me” is one of the most valuable tools in any driver’s armoury. :stuck_out_tongue:

If he’s employed on the same basis as all the other drivers, then his reluctance to night out puts more of a workload on the others who have to pick up the slack. But then again every yard has one or two of them.
However if I was one of his fellow drivers I’d be having a few words with him and tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to do his fair share of nights out or move on to another company

peirre:
If he’s employed on the same basis as all the other drivers, then his reluctance to night out puts more of a workload on the others who have to pick up the slack. But then again every yard has one or two of them.
However if I was one of his fellow drivers I’d be having a few words with him and tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to do his fair share of nights out or move on to another company

Nah - just go on an online forum and whinge about it to a bunch of random strangers then go back to work as normal and take no further action.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Nah - just go on an online forum and whinge about it to a bunch of random strangers then go back to work as normal and take no further action.

Im sure Karen the legal expert on nights out will along shortly to give her opinion, after shes finished making bath bombs

the maoster:
, or travelling a few miles off route to meet up with a mate for the night.

:open_mouth:
Hmmm.
Take no heed of him everybody…I’ve only got 2 words
Thursday Night. :bulb:

:wink: :laughing:

It’s all been said about ‘‘nobody,s business’’, and ''as long as it aint bothering me etc etc…etc…however.
I’ve never understood (nor had any respect for) a bloke who let’s his wife rule him or treat him like a ■■■■ doormat.
ALL women try and change a man, (including mine when we first met.) .it’s just what they all do. :bulb:
But his quality of life in their future relationship solely depends on how much, (or how little) he lets her.

Got to dash, need to ask the wife if it’s ok for me to go down the pub.

robroy:
Got to dash, need to ask the wife if it’s ok for me to go down the pub.

Last on to the bar is paying for the 1st round

I agree with simcor and toonsy. As for your TM if his behavior is governed by his ‘‘mood’’ I’d be looking for another job unless it’s a very very well paid job (which I somehow doubt it is). It feels more like you’re the one who’s under the TM’s thumb :laughing: or his ballsack :grimacing:

I see no need to worry about him . I signed up as a tramper - I know I’ll be away for 4 or 5 nights a week . What anyone else in our yard is doing is none of my concern. I do my job and get on with it . Even though we have 18 trucks on the road I rarely see any of our lot - maybe one or two on the boat on a Monday morning and maybe one on the boat on the way home on a Friday. I get a good variety of work which I like (others are on set work doing the same run every day which would bore me to tears in a week ) destinations in the last few weeks have included
Aberdeen
Glasgow
The Mull of Kintyre
The Isle of Bute
Hawick
Selkirk
Duns
Thurso
Inverness
Durham
Northallerton
Milton Keynes
Buntingford
Colechester
Where anyone else is ,what they are doing, what time they start /finish is frankly none of my business or concern and most of the people at our place think the same way - its one of the reasons I work there.
That said I’m a married man and I do talk to my wife and discuss whats going on and what’s coming up work wise . Sometimes she needs to remind me that we have planned to do things and need to be home on certain days and not heading to the wilds of Scotland /England or Wales with a load of “stuff”. As to the medication part of the story , I’m diabetic myself but I carry a months supply of tablets with me at all times - I’m never away more than a week but I beleive in being prepared , bad weather , boats not sailing can mean an unexpected weekend away from home .
To me it sounds like he/ she is taking the proverbial and so far is getting away with it .

beefy4605:
I see no need to worry about him . I signed up as a tramper - I know I’ll be away for 4 or 5 nights a week . What anyone else in our yard is doing is none of my concern. I do my job and get on with it . Even though we have 18 trucks on the road I rarely see any of our lot - maybe one or two on the boat on a Monday morning and maybe one on the boat on the way home on a Friday. I get a good variety of work which I like (others are on set work doing the same run every day which would bore me to tears in a week ) destinations in the last few weeks have included
Aberdeen
Glasgow
The Mull of Kintyre
The Isle of Bute
Hawick
Selkirk
Duns
Thurso
Inverness
Durham
Northallerton
Milton Keynes
Buntingford
Colechester
Where anyone else is ,what they are doing, what time they start /finish is frankly none of my business or concern and most of the people at our place think the same way - its one of the reasons I work there.
That said I’m a married man and I do talk to my wife and discuss whats going on and what’s coming up work wise . Sometimes she needs to remind me that we have planned to do things and need to be home on certain days and not heading to the wilds of Scotland /England or Wales with a load of “stuff”. As to the medication part of the story , I’m diabetic myself but I carry a months supply of tablets with me at all times - I’m never away more than a week but I beleive in being prepared , bad weather , boats not sailing can mean an unexpected weekend away from home .
To me it sounds like he/ she is taking the proverbial and so far is getting away with it .

Beefy , I think he’s days are numbered as the boss is trying to make him jump ,
I think once the contract with the shop fittings is done he will be pushed
As for the tablet front , I take omeprazole and folic , I make sure I have the weeks worth with me knowing if I run in Saturday I only need to take that days when I get home

What is this “boss is trying to make him jump” nonsense? Apparently he’s been there just a few months, so if the boss isn’t happy with him he can simply dismiss him with no repercussions at all. End of.

The whole story is just that - a story made up by a disgruntled employee who thinks that another driver is getting a better shake of the dice than he is.

peirre:
Last on to the bar is paying for the 1st round

Last into…

The bar, first out of the taxi.

Roymondo:
What is this “boss is trying to make him jump” nonsense? Apparently he’s been there just a few months, so if the boss isn’t happy with him he can simply dismiss him with no repercussions at all. End of.

The whole story is just that - a story made up by a disgruntled employee who thinks that another driver is getting a better shake of the dice than he is.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: what world are you living in to think that of me :unamused:
1, my truck bends ,
2, I’m not married so don’t have to ask permission to Night out
3, I begrudge busting a gut getting some ones load ready when they keep dissapering off every 5 mins on their phone and then just bugger off home at 3:30/4 pm
4, I didn’t need to get up at 3am to come in to work for 4am and then drive for 31/2 hours ,
I got up at 6 am and drove for 20 mins to my first job and sat for 3 hours on break
Disgruntled yes , at some one who’s not pulling he’s weight properly , but only that