Needing Wife’s ok to do a night out

blue estate:
A driver at my place is so under the thumb he needs his wife’s permission to do a night out , she also dictates what car he drives (she don’t drive) etc :open_mouth: :unamused:
Now for some back ground ,
He’s employed as a class 2 tramper and to do night out when required
The other week he was in MK delivering and the boss had a rust air freight job from Stanstead air port to Warrington , said driver said no I can’t do it as I’ve no Gear or my type2 tablets with me :imp: boss was fuming as he then had to send some one else from the yard (Southampton ) to do it .
Last Friday he had Wolverhampton del and collection Birkenhead , he went home at 4pm Thursday night and then left early Friday and only just made it back Friday night
This Friday he had to be in Dudley for 7am prompt , he went home Thursday @3:30pm :unamused: left at 4:05 am and was only passing Warwick at 6:45 am got to Dudley at 7:30am
Said driver keeps moaning about the truck a 12plt Axor sleeper 6 wheeler , but the boss won’t replace it because it’s not earring enough and it’s low kms and tidy
What would you do with said driver ?

The first sentence shows clearly what neanderthal attitude we deal with. Whatever the facts, the story is obviously told from the point of “me butch driver, work all hours for he boss man, him weakling who wants to go home… ugh” .

We’ve only heard one side of the story. A driver who would rather spend time at home, with his wife/ family, then in a truck. Its terrible. What a wimp…

I’ve come across many like the O.P. in my years, married to the job (or lifestyle as they call it), inevitably divorced or the type of misogynistic pig for whom “the wife” is there to put his dinner on the table, and wash his cloths.

We only have his word for it, that the other driver is employed as a “class 2 tramper”. Or for his alleged time keeping. If he really was that bad, with his short length of service, he would be gotten rid of, without a problem.

Me thinks somebody is overegging the pudding.

blue estate:
A driver at my place is so under the thumb he needs his wife’s permission to do a night out , she also dictates what car he drives (she don’t drive) etc :open_mouth: :unamused:
Now for some back ground ,
He’s employed as a class 2 tramper and to do night out when required
The other week he was in MK delivering and the boss had a rust air freight job from Stanstead air port to Warrington , said driver said no I can’t do it as I’ve no Gear or my type2 tablets with me :imp: boss was fuming as he then had to send some one else from the yard (Southampton ) to do it .
Last Friday he had Wolverhampton del and collection Birkenhead , he went home at 4pm Thursday night and then left early Friday and only just made it back Friday night
This Friday he had to be in Dudley for 7am prompt , he went home Thursday @3:30pm :unamused: left at 4:05 am and was only passing Warwick at 6:45 am got to Dudley at 7:30am
Said driver keeps moaning about the truck a 12plt Axor sleeper 6 wheeler , but the boss won’t replace it because it’s not earring enough and it’s low kms and tidy
What would you do with said driver ?

Point him to the nearest urologist so the doc can diagnose what happened to his balls

I’ve known a few drivers over the years who lament “This wouldn’t have ever happened - if we hadn’t had gotten His and Hers Iphones!”

simcor:
Firstly what business is it of yours what he does or how he does it? Let’s get that one out of the way as it does not really affect any of you in any way unless it creates a problem with your job. Worry about yourselves and not what other people are doing or not doing.

Secondly nighting out is a choice the driver should make not the company, unless you have agreed to night out then you should not be expected to night out except for absolute emergencies where you have genuinely run out of time due an accident or the like.

I would certainly refuse to night out for the companies benefit when you are not a tramper or don’t do night’s out. But would do it if it was absolutely neccesary and I could not make it back to base due to accident hold ups etc. I would never not give myself enough driving time to get back to the yard even if that means abandoning a drop or 2 to make it back.

It is up to the driver to ensure he has planned his day accordingly to allow time to drive back not the company. It is down the to driver to decide when he pulls out of a place he’s been waiting at too long again not the company.

Frankly his own life and issues are his problem to deal with and I would not be interested one iota what his family life is like unless it directly affects me with the job.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

This ^^^ 100%…too many drivers about that moan & ■■■■■ about what others are doing or getting [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849] do ya own job the best you can and wind ya neck in FFS

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I reckon old matey is pulling a right fast one here, using the mrs as the excuse to do what and when he wants and getting away with it nicely.

the maoster:
Every single place I’ve worked at has had drivers who require special treatment, drivers who require their hands held, drivers who are deliberately obstructive and drivers who make a mountain out of a molehill. Tbh and as a driver who is capable of doing my job without requiring any office input I actually appreciate these ■■■■■ wetters because they not only make me look better, but more importantly they allow me to take certain liberties such as parking up after six hours work because I’ve found a country pub that I like the look of, or travelling a few miles off route to meet up with a mate for the night.

As long as they have zero detrimental effect on me I don’t really care how they perform or what they do.

This 100%.

Spoke to my boss today as I need to finish at 1300 on a friday in a few weeks, no problem boss said.

Spoke to my boss today as I need to finish at 1300 on a friday in a few weeks, no problem boss said.
[/quote]
Yeah, I’ve had some of that except that it was forgotten and I was told there was no early day for me. It was back in the days when jobs were ten a penny, so off I went.

Sounds a lot to me like this guy has got one of these “nights out when required” jobs which I would never personally entertain.

For me you are either employed as a tramper who expects to be out any night of the week, or you are a day/night driver who expects to be home after every shift. Either way you know where you stand and can plan your life around it.

A fair number of firms seem to want the best of both worlds, whereby you are employed mainly as a day driver but expected to morph into a tramper when it suits them to drop a night out on you at the last minute under the guise of “operational needs”. ■■■■■■■■ to that, you can’t lead your life like that. You should have advance notice of a planned night out before your shift as a minimum. If you take a job under them terms then you only have yourself to blame when your getting earache off the missus.

If on the other hand this fella has taken a clear cut tramping job & then won’t do the nights out then he is just a plank who needs sacking.