National Vocational Driving Instructor Register UPDATE

The following changes have been made and are now in place.

1. The person whose character was brought into question is no longer a Panel Member, a Registered Centre or a Director.
  2. The hazard perception test has been merged into the driving assessment and test of instructional ability.
  3. The DSVA now recognise the register.

Anyone seriously interested in registering as an instructor will find this the most straightforward route. Unlike the other register currently on offer, we have a degree of coverage around the country and the system is actually up and running and working.

Cost is nearly half of the alternative as well.

As previously stated, any currently qualified DVSA instructor can transfer, completely free of charge, to the register and the expiry date will mirror the current DSVA date. There are NO registration fees either on joining or renewal.

I believe most of the hurdles to joining have now been removed. Anyone wishing to get involved can contact me or any other Panel Member. The website is www.lgvregister.org.uk There will always be those who see no value in it and I’m past trying to convince anyone. But the facts speak for themselves.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

1. The hazard perception test has been merged into the driving assessment and test of instructional ability.

Does that mean the on screen test is still to be done or are they now using commentary or observations on the road drive to assess hazard perception :question:

Does this mean for renewal there are two tests, driving ability and instructional test, and if so what are costs for renewal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this mean for renewal there are two tests, driving ability and instructional test, and if so what are costs for renewal?

Only a test of instructional ability. This can be an observed “live lesson” or a role play. Either way, 90 minutes. Same fee £140 incl VAT. There is NO registration fee.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Does that mean the on screen test is still to be done or are they now using commentary or observations on the road drive to assess hazard perception :question:

No on=screen test. It will be assessed on observations during the practical test/s.

Forgot to mention that another excellent development is that, not only can all the tests be conducted on the same day (if desired) but there is no order in which they have to be passed. So, for example, someone could come for theory, drive, instructional ability tests and not pass the theory. But they can still take the remaining tests. All the tests have to be completed within 6 months of the first pass.

This is just more flexibility and common sense.

Peter Smythe:
Forgot to mention that another excellent development is that, not only can all the tests be conducted on the same day (if desired) but there is no order in which they have to be passed. So, for example, someone could come for theory, drive, instructional ability tests and not pass the theory. But they can still take the remaining tests. All the tests have to be completed within 6 months of the first pass.

This is just more flexibility and common sense.

Is their a question bank available for the theory questions regarding revision material?

Paul

Peter Smythe:

No on=screen test. It will be assessed on observations during the practical test/s.

Crystal clear and finally some common sense

elmet training:
Is their a question bank available for the theory questions regarding revision material?

Paul

I would imagine it is the same as the DVSA bank such as we can get free from online sites :question:

ROG:

elmet training:

Paul

I would imagine it is the same as the DVSA bank such as we can get free from online sites :question:

The old register had its own questions which were outdated on especially tachos. Can Peter confirm if a new bank of questions has been written please?

There also was a application pack which included the questions which was £15 I think.

Paul

I have the current DVSA question bank. I’m going to start going through it, updating and correctly as necessary during next few days. I see no point in using something that is out of date - though it’s a good foundation to start from. Also need to change it to avoid any copyright issues - just in case!

I don’t think the questions will be available but any decent instructor should be able to pass it without undue difficulty.

I’m looking at gaining my HGV instructor qualification but with recent changes confused how to go about it? Can you point me in the right direction of the course and how long it takes. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

rookie07:
I’m looking at gaining my HGV instructor qualification but with recent changes confused how to go about it? Can you point me in the right direction of the course and how long it takes. Thank you.

There is no legal LGV instructor qualification such as car ADIs if that is what you are thinking

Cheers Rog. I was just looking at gaining the equivalent of the dsa course but I gather to gain dsa reg has changed?

rookie07:
Cheers Rog. I was just looking at gaining the equivalent of the dsa course but I gather to gain dsa reg has changed?

Yes it has slightly - see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=142910

Just to confirm that ROG is correct in stating that the HGV qualification is not a legal requirement. The rights and wrongs of that are another conversation!

There are currently two registers and you are free to join either, neither or both. The National Register of Instructors is operated by RTITB. Their process is theory test, practical driving test, test of instructional ability (in cab) test of instructional ability (classroom). The cost is £555. Registration runs for 5 years and the same process is repeated every 5 years. The tests are currently only available at Telford but there is talk that there will be centres made available around the country at some point. The register opens on 2nd Jan 2017.

The second register, recognised by DVSA, is the National Vocational Driving Instructor Register. This was formed in response to a request from DVSA for the industry to consider the way forward as they wished to close their register due to a lack of resources. The people behind it are all DVSA LGV Accredited Training Centres. The process to join is theory test, practical driving test, test of instructional ability. The cost is £300. Registration runs for 5 years and is extended by taking a further test of instructional ability OR having a 90 minute “live lesson” observed. The current fee for that is £125. There is NO registration fee. These tests can be carried out at any of the sites listed on the website and marked Panel Member. Simply contact the centre direct and they will make all the arrangements.

If you are an experienced but unqualified instructor you should be able to pass the three tests. If you have done a little instruction on, say, an occasional basis or it’s been a while since you’ve done it, then I strongly suggest you undertake some training. The obvious place to do this is with the Panel Member of your choice. The cost will depend on the extent of the training required.

If you are an experienced driver but with no, or virtually no, training experience I strongly suggest you take a course with a Panel Member working your way through the DVSA approved syllabus. This will normally take around 2 weeks on a half time basis or, if you can cope with it, a week full time. But it’s highly concentrated and you need a strong constitution to stand it.

The website is lgvregister.org.uk

I’m happy to chat this through; just send me a pm with your phone number and best time to call and I’ll get in touch.

Peter Smythe:

Just to confirm that ROG is correct in stating that the HGV qualification is not a legal requirement. The rights and wrongs of that are another conversation!

There are currently two registers and you are free to join either, neither or both. The National Register of Instructors is operated by RTITB. Their process is theory test, practical driving test, test of instructional ability (in cab) test of instructional ability (classroom). The cost is £555. Registration runs for 5 years and the same process is repeated every 5 years. The tests are currently only available at Telford but there is talk that there will be centres made available around the country at some point. The register opens on 2nd Jan 2017.

The second register, recognised by DVSA, is the National Vocational Driving Instructor Register. This was formed in response to a request from DVSA for the industry to consider the way forward as they wished to close their register due to a lack of resources. The people behind it are all DVSA LGV Accredited Training Centres. The process to join is theory test, practical driving test, test of instructional ability. The cost is £300. Registration runs for 5 years and is extended by taking a further test of instructional ability OR having a 90 minute “live lesson” observed. The current fee for that is £125. There is NO registration fee. These tests can be carried out at any of the sites listed on the website and marked Panel Member. Simply contact the centre direct and they will make all the arrangements.

If you are an experienced but unqualified instructor you should be able to pass the three tests. If you have done a little instruction on, say, an occasional basis or it’s been a while since you’ve done it, then I strongly suggest you undertake some training. The obvious place to do this is with the Panel Member of your choice. The cost will depend on the extent of the training required.

If you are an experienced driver but with no, or virtually no, training experience I strongly suggest you take a course with a Panel Member working your way through the DVSA approved syllabus. This will normally take around 2 weeks on a half time basis or, if you can cope with it, a week full time. But it’s highly concentrated and you need a strong constitution to stand it.

The website is lgvregister.org.uk

I’m happy to chat this through; just send me a pm with your phone number and best time to call and I’ll get in touch.

Pete could you please clarify something for me.

You mention both registers but neglected to point out the RTITB is endorsed by DVSA - I am sure this could be important to anyone comparing both.

I am glad to see DVSA “recognise” your register - could you confirm this means it has been endorsed by DVSA the same as the RTITB.

It is very important that good factual information is available as I am sure some may be confused by the fact that 2 registers are running at the same time.

John

Hi John

You are correct in stating that DVSA have “endorsed” the RTITB register and “recognised” the National Vocational Driver Instructor Register.

The DVSA Accredited LGV Training Centres were approached summer 2015 and asked to consider a way of taking instructor registration forward as the DVSA wished to close it’s own due to lack of resources. So this is what we did and the result can be seen at www.lgvregister.org.uk

Whilst the preparatory work was in progress, RTITB made overtures to DVSA and a very professional presentation. In their wisdom, DVSA offered them endorsement. THe NVDIR is still seeking endorsement as we are somewhat further ahead on delivering on our undertakings. So it seems a tad unfair that a commercial organisation, RTITB, is receiving endorsement rather than the group of committed trainers who have worked their butts off to produce the register in the format acceptable to DVSA.

But, for anyone in doubt as to which one to join, go for both. They are both free for currently qualified DVSA instructors. The huge difference will be seen in cost and time when it comes to renewal. btw the renewal date will be taken from the current DVSA badge. This applies with both registers. I really cant see what anyone has to lose. In the case of NVDIR, it’s a SAE and a passport photo. Job done.

Would be great to have a reputable trainer like you join us.

Forgive me but I’m a little confused with it all. Would it be a fair assessment the RTITB has more merit at present?

Surely their should be only one register doesn’t bode well when the two governing bodies are in competition with each other.

Paul :smiley:

Not in competition at all. Just doing things differently.

RTITB has more merit if you go on DVSA endorsement. But, for substance, I think National Vocational Driving Instructor Register is streaks ahead.

I think I intimated that IMO the endorsement was misjudged going on current form.

But that’s just my view.