Name plate legality

Just got myself a plate board to stick in the front window. Is there any legislation regarding these, is there anything I have to do to it or can I just put it in as is?

Think I just posted this in the wrong place… :\

djczb-500.jpg

they have never said anything about my 2 in the front window when I have been pulled before, but there again I try to pass the attitude test :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I heard it needs to be 6 feet from the steering wheel at all times and can’t be displayed on Tuesdays on even numbered months and Saturdays on odd numbered months. :wink:

I was told having a yellow name plate attatched to the front of the lorry is illegal. Anyone care to comment on whether it’s true or not. Just something I heard!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

First and formost very funny i like it, I would imagine you’d be ok if they where that worried about it the hard shoulders would be full off lorrys getting tickets for stuff in there windscreens if your worried about it keep it near and when you see the jam sandwiches whip it off quick :slight_smile:

jonnytruckfest:
I was told having a yellow name plate attatched to the front of the lorry is illegal. Anyone care to comment on whether it’s true or not. Just something I heard!

Cheers

Not true.

Something that looks similar to A numberplate can displayed almost anywhere, otherwise any sign written vehicle would have experienced a pull, along with all those units & trailers where the Co’ uses similar plates for plant numbers.

I understand that if you want to chuck one in the windscreen area, then it must not block your view. Exactly what that means is debatable, but IUI to mean within the sweep of the wipers.

jonnytruckfest:

Cheers

Is that inside or outside?

The only reason I ask is because it might be classed as some sort of fake number plate or something. Just making sure, I can’t see it being too much of a problem, I fashioned the square brackets out of insulation tape anyway since they can’t get printed. Specifically ordered in yellow too so there would be less confusion about imitating etc.

Just wanted to make sure, just in case anybody had any problems with using them.

DJC:

jonnytruckfest:

Cheers

The only reason I ask is because it might be classed as some sort of fake number plate or something. Just making sure, I can’t see it being too much of a problem, I fashioned the square brackets out of insulation tape anyway since they can’t get printed. Specifically ordered in yellow too so there would be less confusion about imitating etc.

Just wanted to make sure, just in case anybody had any problems with using them.

djc just put it in the window nothing will ever be said had one for years never been a problem, and to the best of my knowledge no one else ever had, don’t take any notice of people that tell you that you can’t do this or that most of the time they say it just to wind you up, you will be totally safe in the front yellow or not :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

wildfire:

DJC:

jonnytruckfest:

Cheers

djc just put it in the window nothing will ever be said had one for years never been a problem, and to the best of my knowledge no one else ever had, don’t take any notice of people that tell you that you can’t do this or that most of the time they say it just to wind you up, you will be totally safe in the front yellow or not :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I had thought so, it was only when opening it somebody in my household asked me whether it was legal or not, got me thinking. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if its to do with which number plate the anpr cameras would pick up, if you have two attacted to the front grille

Here’s how to get round it :exclamation: Attach it to the interior sun visor so when the visor is down it’s just a lowered sun visor with that plate showing out front, they can’t do a thing, Oh ! and put it on the passenger side :exclamation:

My Mate Told Me he got a £30 fine for every letter and because it was yellow he also had to do 50 press ups !!

Throw it in the bin. Best way to make sure the tackyness police don’t stop you…

+1 with what the spurs fan said

Easy stick the plate on the sun visor :wink:

I once had a frilly curtains going across the windscreen and you shouldve seen the face on our garage bloke when he took my truck for a service. He went mental. We are not allowed nothing in the windscreen area ;(

Any offences would not be down to registration plate offences because even if it was fitted where your numberplates should be they would prosecute you for failing to display a registration plate. Its the wrong font, wrong plate (for the front) has no details of who made it and the spacing is wrong.

If you put it in your windscreen however, it could be an offence dependent upon where you display it. See the link below which relates to glass and view of the road on page 70.

http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/uploads/publications/general/CatDefectsManual.pdf

Seany:
Throw it in the bin. Best way to make sure the tackyness police don’t stop you…

+2

Mate of mine got £60 fine!! Plod said because it was a rear(yellow) plate. If it had been white would have been fine.

jtm:
Mate of mine got £60 fine!! Plod said because it was a rear(yellow) plate. If it had been white would have been fine.

Your mate should have gone to court instead of accepting the ticket and asked the question “What is the offence”?

It’s correct you commit the offence of failing to display a registration plate if it does not comply with the specifications on size, spacing, font and colour but this was not a registration plate! They were (i assume) displaying correctly.