My story - career change

Hi everyone
I’m new on here and having read a lot of people’s posts I thought i would share what I’m doing.
Like a lot of people I have decided on a career change, currently head chef of a fresh food pub, been a chef all my working life worked all over country met friends for life and some right ■■■■ jockeys, but I’ve finally decided I’ve had enough and I’ve always had an urge to drive trucks, I looked into it a few yrs ago but got stung by a broker who wasn’t really a broker just a conman and lost £1500 which left a bad taste.
Now I’ve the money I’m booked with Peter smythe, medical is in a couple of weeks and theory revision is well underway, the plan will be class 2 and then go onto class 1 fingers crossed.
So far everything has been spot on I emailed Peter to make some inquiries went to his site for a look around met Tracey and had a good chat about my concerns … Will I get a job! Will I earn enough money to support my family! all the normal questions and concerns you have when going from something you are good at to something your not, the main goal is a better work life balance having worked nearly every weekend for the past 20yrs every Christmas apart from the last one when my daughter was 6months old and every new yrs eve I wanna spend some evenings and Christmas at home with my family…well that’s the goal…have no issues with hard work coming from a kitchen lpmg hrs and hard work ain’t a problem so fingers crossed and I will keep you updated with my progress thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Well done to you. My first post here also but have been lurking for a few weeks now. I’m in the same boat, 25 yrs service in one job and need a career change. Only got as far as medical and posted off my license on Monday for the new catagories to be added. Still deciding on where I will get my training but like you I intend to go cat c but may well get hiab training at the same time.
Anyway good luck to you and I hope it pans out well for you and the family.

Cheers and you to, if you’re in the area I can highly recommend Peter Smythe I’ve not started my training as yet with him but up to now they have been spot on, I also have a couple of friends who are drivers and he was the first name they both mentioned…

Affraid I’m down on the South coast so not an option for me.
I’m thinking of going with drivertrainingcentre.co.uk/index.htm or possibly Hills of Plumpton Green East Sussex

Gary of driver training from Hastings was on the local Meridan news the other evening talking of the current shortage of drivers, and one of the drivers was moaning about the poor pay, which I’ve got to say does concern me somewhat as it seems to vary so much depending on the area, the company and the type of work. That said I’m excited at the prospect of getting my hgv license and getting into a new career :smiley:

Peter will do you a residential course at no extra cost, mention trucknet and he’ll also give you a 10% discount. I’m lucky that I only live 10 miles away from him, but would have happily travelled from anywhere and done residential if I had to knowing the quality on offer.

Ye I totally understand the worry about pay, I need to be earning X amount each month for sure but also wanna be home on an evening don’t mind early starts on even working weekends so fingers crossed…and yes all I can think about at the mo is taking my lessons and my test…

NickW88:
Peter will do you a residential course at no extra cost, mention trucknet and he’lol also give you a 10% discount. I’m lucky that I only live 10 miles away from him, but would have happily travelled from anywhere and done residential if I had to knowing the quality on offer.

Thanks for that, thats interesting to know and may well have a look at this now as an option :wink: Thanks.

I didn’t mention this is my opening post as I didn’t think it would be an issue but after finally hearing back from another trainer they have kind of thrown me a bit.
I only have an auto licence due to an old rugby injury my left ankle is weaker than normal and I struggle with clutch control
Anyway cut a long story short this trainer said I could struggle to get work as most interviews require a driver assessment and it’s normally done in an older truck which is likely to be a manual…be interested to know people’s thoughts
I’m gonna be learning in autos so I know it’s possible to do but it comes back to making sure a newly qualified driver can get work!!!

If you only have an auto car licence and you take your test in an auto truck you will only have an auto truck licence.

I took mine in a manual, granted I already had a manual B licence but honestly the gears aren’t that bad. Yes it gives you something else to think about but after a few hours it just becomes second nature. And after all an auto only truck licence will limit you for the work you want to do. Not everywhere will have all autos and as a newer driver as they have said you are more likely to be given the company shed and chances are it’ll be an manual

Hey fella Ye I know I’ll only be able to drive autos that’s just the situation I’m in my ankle is what it is, luckily I know a couple of people who driver for companies who use autos and they wanna be told when I get my licence so hopefully it shouldn’t stop me to much!

kwakzx7r:
Well done to you. My first post here also but have been lurking for a few weeks now. I’m in the same boat, 25 yrs service in one job and need a career change. Only got as far as medical and posted off my license on Monday for the new catagories to be added. Still deciding on where I will get my training but like you I intend to go cat c but may well get hiab training at the same time.
Anyway good luck to you and I hope it pans out well for you and the family.

If You’ve only been here a few weeks, like the OP, look at my previous 6 months posts then, I’m a right bellend on this forum!
I passed 3 months ago, was in same position & whine like a ■■■■■ on here! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
I passed 3 months ago, was in same position & whine like a ■■■■■ on here! :smiley:

Don’t you just, you Van driving, tena lady wearing buffoon!

chunck247:
Hey fella Ye I know I’ll only be able to drive autos that’s just the situation I’m in my ankle is what it is, luckily I know a couple of people who driver for companies who use autos and they wanna be told when I get my licence so hopefully it shouldn’t stop me to much!

As long as you can get the work and it works for you that’s what matters

Ye for sure, like I said the other training company threw me a bit, almost in a dismissive way, just because I drive autos doesn’t make me unable to do the job…

Most companies now are running trucks with auto boxes. Might be an issue with some of the smaller family run places though, they tend to run older trucks which could be manual.

Ye mate that’s what I was told, guess I just needed a bit of reassurance before I walk away from 1 career into another 1… Cheers

Stupid question alert!!
I checked my licence on line last night and under the provisional section I have cat C and C1
Does this mean I already have the provisional to do my class 2 I don’t need my medical just gotta take my theory
Thanks in advance now of to the day job!

hi mate, im pretty much in the same boat as you! 18 years as a chef, currently a head chef on a industrial park and waiting to start my practical lessons end of this month. know exactly how you feel about the catering trade. Good Luck!! hope it goes well. :smiley:

Hey -
Ye I’m done after 20yrs little one mrs wanna have some kinda home life…
So you’ll be passed your test before me ( I’m jealous lol) I’ll be doing mine in Jan I’ve no chance before Xmas to busy keep us updated fella and I hope it goes well, r u going to class 1 straight after or just doing class 2?

just going for class 2 for now too skint for class 1 as well lol. I have spoke to a supplier woodwards, dont know if you have heard of them but they said they could offer me something. Although its not really the first job I want its a starting point. Woodwards are owned by brakes, similar to 3663. Downside is around 15-20 drops per day! but like i say if nothing else its a start. I have my test in for December 7th fingers crossed I will pass first time as I only have enough money for 1 re test lol. I plan on doing my class1 asap but I will wait till I am in the career. I left hotels/restaurants about 5/6 years ago so I could see my kids. I know trucking isnt 9-5 but you know what cheffing is like ive done plenty of AFD shifts :smiley: I remember doing 80 hour weeks for 38 hour pay lol crazy!!