My LGV/HGV opportunity

Hi everyone.
I’ve been driving 7.5t vehicles at work for almost 20 years now, I have recently been fortunate enough to be chosen for HGV/LGV training.
Medical, theory and hazard all passed and now I will be training with Torpedo Training in Plymouth. A quick search of the boards here has found a few good words and success stories with them which has put my mind to rest a little. The only thing in my mind now is my knowledge of Plymouth roads as I don’t live there. Should this be a concern?
Cheers.

Hi and welcome to truck net.

Well done on the opportunity for the training,I wouldn’t worry about not knowing Plymouth on your training as your trainer should know most of the routes used anyway.

I’m sure some one who lives closer will help better than me,the parts of Plymouth I have been through seem ok looks a nice place as well plenty of crumpet about when the sun’s out :grimacing: :laughing:

Jeff.

Cheers Jeff, I’m glad the sun has done one for this year, my eyes may be all over the place otherwise.
I’m really looking forward to my training now. Does anyone know how long (time) it will take to get from the train station to the VOSA test station in a taxi?
Cheers.

Can be better without local knowledge as you are unlikely to drive them as you do in your car

A road is a road and I agree with Rog that if they are unfamiliar then you will concentrate more

I went for my home in the North East of England to Chelmsford ( John Flair training LGV Trainer ) no I dint know the roads there but John did I didn’t have any problems it can have its advantages tbh as you concentrate a bit more

This has worked in my favour at times as been there a couple times since passing test & knew the roads so in rush hour didn’t worry about anything didn’t have to concentrate as much because I knew the road system there

So don’t worry that you don’t know the roads there your instructor will & by the time you finish you will I found it an advantage going out of area I told nobody went away so no distractions I was more relaxed

Mr Bridger:
Cheers Jeff, I’m glad the sun has done one for this year, my eyes may be all over the place otherwise.
I’m really looking forward to my training now. Does anyone know how long (time) it will take to get from the train station to the VOSA test station in a taxi?
Cheers.

good luck with your training. station to vosa centre would take me between 10 and 15 minutes dependent on time of day due to traffic. as there are few bus lanes that a taxi could use so it would be similar i would expect.

hope that helps

Adey

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, appreciated.
It makes sense about concentration on roads you are not familiar with. It’s put my mind to rest now, can’t wait to get started.
Cheers.

i know plymouth really well and tbh theres nothing to worrie about really. As said as you dont know it u will be more focused on the roads

I did both c an ce with torpedo. They will take you to all the places you need to worry about over and over again. So wont be any supprises.

You will also do your reverse on the same bit tarmac you will fo your test on.

Cheers gents, It’s good to hear your opinions, it’s very reassuring.
Thanks again, appreciated.

I did my training at Peterborough with Peter Smythe’s. As others have said I found I concentrated more with not knowing the local roads and I found I was taking alot more notice of road signs with restrictions (in case of the weight limits etc and the 'take the next available left etc). Are you staying over in Plymouth?? I stopped for the week of my training as I live in the north west and I found that also had an advantage as I had no distractions one I got to the travelodge at night so I was constantly going over the routes and things I had learnt.

Down and back each day, an hour on the train then a 10/15 min taxi ride so I’m told.

I don’t know Mansfield, and it didn’t stop me passing! :smiley:

First day today. 4 over 4 gear box :confused: Never used one before, trying to get used to that on top of not knowing my surrounding was a bit of a struggle if I’m honest.
I did reversing which I found ok and feel comfortable with. After my first drive I returned a bit disappointed, expected better of myself. Then second drive, I was a bit happier with. I’ve gone home a bit more upbeat but still feel disappointed.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better…fingers crossed.

Mr Bridger:
First day today. 4 over 4 gear box :confused: Never used one before, trying to get used to that on top of not knowing my surrounding was a bit of a struggle if I’m honest.
I did reversing which I found ok and feel comfortable with. After my first drive I returned a bit disappointed, expected better of myself. Then second drive, I was a bit happier with. I’ve gone home a bit more upbeat but still feel disappointed.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better…fingers crossed.

Sounds about right for 1st day don’t be too hard on your self it is new territory on all accounts tomorrow is another day & you now know what to expect

Evil8Beezle:

It’s a wonder you found your way to the truck!

On another note I learned in a 4 over 4 iveco and found the box quite natural to use. On the first day getting back in the car however it felt a little odd with a straight 6 box!

NickW88:

Evil8Beezle:

It’s a wonder you found your way to the truck!

What truck? :open_mouth:

Go do one! :smiley:

As for the first day in a manual…
I’m sure tomorrow will be different, as you would have been tired at the end of today, so up against a wall…
You’ll be a lot better tomorrow, sorry today! :smiley:

Cheers gents, Up early and looking forward to today now, we’l see what happens.

You’ll probably find mate that it’ll all nicely slot into place today with the gears and it will come more naturally. It’s really easy to overthink them